• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Indoor buns myxi precautions

JayUK

Mama Doe
Hi :wave:
Like everywhere else it seems, we're having an inflated myxi problem here in Hampshire. are there any precautions I can take (aside from vaccinations) that will help protect an indoor bun who has access to a balcony, and spends a lot of time out there? and is there any point to restricing outside access?
Thanks
b21web.jpg

hya..must admot i wont let mine out in the garden right now but thats cos its overgrown and awaiting gardnerer to put it right!

I have insect netting up at the windows maybe itd be a good idea round the balcony?

flea treat all pets whether theyhave them or not.

i dont know im real scared right now too.....bertie wilow and bif all having hteir 6 month booster tomorrow wil have words with petra see if shehas any other tips for al of us house buns owners.

its as bad as the vhd outbreak we had last year..i make everyone take their shoes off or wear over the shoe covers like csi lol

but myxis a whole diff ball game..but i guess still helps in case youve trodden n affected bun saliva and not known it.

let me know if youhave anymore tips!:wave: i need em too.

btw oscars doing great still!!

I am scared to :roll: I have put netting up at the windows of my outhouse where most of my rabbits are. Also hung non toxic flie papers i know they look ugly but it does the job. I also treated my dog although he does not have them. Although i know someone who has 3 dogs down the street and i know for a fact they do :censored: Also my daughter and her friends usually walk along the dirt track i have stopped her as there are always loads of wild rabbits.

For my buns outside i have put netting up at the mesh and round the run also i cut their outside the hutch time a little shorter.

Its soo scary it was on the north east news the other day to each day it seems to be getting closer to me :roll: All i can do is try and protect them best i can. Also instead of brushing out the outhouse i use my super sucky hoover and i have a cut off bit of skys flea collar in the dust container.

Only thing i am very worried about is the hay as fleas can live in it for months and if it has had a infected bun or cat at it before i went to collect it :cry: I have it in a huge wheelie bin with lid on but all does not fit in as i get the bales so i have to stack it on top of the bin next to the hutches. Touch wood its ok. Come on freezing cold weather kill all those nasties

:wave: Thanks for the tips, will get him flea protected today. He loves being on the balcony and has his main litter tray out there, so I think it may be best to restrict the area he can go in and cover it in mesh, I'll knock him up a run this afternoon.
He's due for his next vaccination in 3 weeks, but with all these distressing stories, It's very scary.
I didn't know about fleas in hay, I have the dust extracted stuff, I wonder if the little mites get extracted as well?

Good to hear that Oscar is thriving! my OH dropped some stuff off to Sue on Monday, I think she's missing him! Not surprised, he's such a loveable bun.
I'd love to see some pics of him in his new home sometime.

I appreciate the info....still learning!

I've got fly papers hanging everywhere too, they are a nightmare to get off your hair if you accidentally walk into one:lol: :lol:

I just can't bring myself to use those sticky strips, so I've increased the lavender content which has kept all the wasps and flies away, burnt Citronella in the eve's, (which works a treat) and made him a run covered in flysheet with his tray & food in it.
He's booked in early for his myxi booster, so I think I have all avenues covered...I hope so :lol:

Back