• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent!!!

OK so went to make sure that my bun is a girl because I do that every once in awhile just to be sure lol and there was this gaping hole! what is it? I am so scared...is that normal?:cry:

Are her bits symmetrical. What you're describing could be the scent gland - if so there is one on each side.

Tam

Hi,
Flystrike is where flies lay eggs in rabbits fur usually round their bottoms. These eggs then hatch into maggots that basically eat the bunnys flesh - its really not pleasant at all and they need to be seen by a vet straight away if it is flystrike. Are you able to take a photograph so people can advise you ?

go to the vets right away, if it is flystrike, it can be treated, if it is just the sent gland you can get a health cheak up anyway!

Flystrike can be very very severe, and if not treated immediately is fatal.

Here are some good sites (caution, the second one contains very graphic photos, and can be upsetting)

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/flystrike.php

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2006/february/Cousquer/Veterinary-Lop-Rabbit-Fly-Strike.html

I suggest you post a photo asap so that people can advise you better.

thanx for the webs it does not look like those pics, we talked to the vet and Bella has an app. today at 4:00pm but the vet thinks that she will be fine :D

Back