• Please Note - Medical Advice

    Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

    You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

    We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

    Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slow healing eye ulcer

mayalaila

New Kit
Hi everyone,


About a month ago my lovely Netherland Dwarf bunny Eeyore developed a cloudy eye. The vet said he had an ulcer, likely from a scratch. This is the treatment he’s received so far:


- 3 weeks of Cloragen + Remend (4–6× daily)


- 1 week of Cloragen + Stromease + Remend (4–6× daily)


- 1 week: Exocin (2× daily) + Stromease + Remend (6–7× daily)


- He was also on Metacam for the first four weeks.


The ulcer has improved but not fully healed. A swab taken a week ago showed a small amount of bacteria, which the vet said could be old or new. After switching to Exocin, the ulcer looks the same (2-3mm) — possibly slightly bigger — but it’s hard to judge because no photo was taken last week, only at the start.


The vets are now recommending a sedated burr procedure. I’m really hesitant about sedation unless absolutely necessary. Before going down that route, I’m considering an opinion from a rabbit‑savvy ophthalmologist, but I’m struggling to find one who sees small animals.


Does anyone have any experience with anything similar with their bunny?


I'm wondering how to space out the drops best? At the moment I’m doing: Exocin → wait 2 mins → Stromease → wait 5 mins → Remend


Any other ideas on what could help with healing?


Any experiences, tips, or recommendations would be really appreciated. Thank you!
 
Sorry to hear your rabbits eye ulcer isn't healing so well. I've no direct experience but a member on here did have this issue with one of his bunnies. I think the affected eye was scraped to promote healing. This was under an opthalmologist & I believe the eye did improve. Is it the procedure itself or the anaesthetic that concerns you? I hope someone will be along soon who can share experience & answer some of your questions
 
I have recently gone through a lot of eye health issues with my rabbit and I can honestly say an ophthalmologist was our saving grace - sadly my bunny did loose her sight BUT they tried so so hard.

When she was on drops, we were told that the eye can only “hold” so much drop wise so space out every couple hours.

Ours had Exocin, Remend + a serum so we did Exocin wait 5 mins + then Remend cause the Remend is thicker so will help keep moisture and the Exocin within the eye.

And then 2 hours later it was the serum + Remend.

Rabbit was going through a lot and had bacteria too. I can’t remember the spelling but you’ll see recent posts of mine.

I would try the burr if it was my rabbit. Just make sure it’s a rabbit savvy vet, and you’re happy with the vet/nurse team who will be providing your rabbit their care.

Best of luck!
 
Ah, I'm so sorry Eeyore is having trouble with his eye. My Sophie had a lot of eye ulcers in the last year of her life as the cornea of both of her eyes was very weak, so I have some experience with it. She did see the bunny-savvy opthalmologist at my vet practice, and I would really recommend one if you can find one. He was a great help. I can't say anything about the meds you're using, as she got different ones (maybe the ingredients were the same, but I unfortunately don't remember them). If I understand your post right, though, he's not currently on Metacam anymore? Is he getting anything else for the pain? I really would want pain relief until he's fully healed, even in the case that he's maybe not showing any signs of pain, as bunnies do try to hide these things.

When Sophie's ulcers stopped healing they would remove a bit of tissue from around the ulcer so it would start healing again. Is that what you mean with the burring? It always helped Sophie. They only used local sedation for that, not general anaesthesia, so that might be an option if Eeyore is a calm bunny. If you have a bunny-savvy vet, though, and Eeyore is otherwise in good health, I wouldn't be too worried about anaesthesia. You could do some blood work beforehand to make sure he's healthy if you're very worried.

I'm sending him a lot of vibes ❤️
 
Back
Top