• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Dander

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
My neighbour says she cannot open her windows because of the Rabbits' dander. Is there anything that can be done about this? I am pretty sensitive to things but never notice anything coming from the Bunnies.

So she’s allergic to Rabbits ? How far from her home are your Rabbits and how many Rabbits? Can you relocate their accommodation so it’s further from the neighbour’s house (if it’s very close to it atm).

Daily grooming can reduce the amount of dead skin within the coat and the loose fur ; which are the usual triggers of allergies. But no amount of grooming of the Rabbits will stop the persons allergy 100%.

What is he/she suggesting you should do ?

I'm not sure about this.. I mean I'm severely allergic to cats..but we have loads of cats around here they lay about are in and out of my garden.. One seems to be sleeping on our pitched roof I noticed... We have the windows open and my throat isn't closing up.. 😂 I suppose if someone had a cage right outside my window of like 10 cats that might be a problem? Idk tho 😂

I'm not sure about this.. I mean I'm severely allergic to cats..but we have loads of cats around here they lay about are in and out of my garden.. One seems to be sleeping on our pitched roof I noticed... We have the windows open and my throat isn't closing up.. 😂 I suppose if someone had a cage right outside my window of like 10 cats that might be a problem? Idk tho 😂
The situation reminds me of when a woman who used to live in the house opposite mine came over to complain that the lightbulb in my bedroom made her anxious as it didn’t have a lamp shade 😳🙄 She said I MUST either put a lampshade on the light fitting or keep my curtains closed when the light is on 🤔

Sorry, TB, I have hijacked your thread.

The situation reminds me of when a woman who used to live in the house opposite mine came over to complain that the lightbulb in my bedroom made her anxious as it didn’t have a lamp shade 😳🙄 She said I MUST either put a lampshade on the light fitting or keep my curtains closed when the light is on 🤔

Sorry, TB, I have hijacked your thread.
Omg hahahahaha I've got that atm in my tiny room she'd hate me it's been like it for years now, I just cannot decide what kinda shade I want 😂

It does seem unreasonable tbh unless you've started caging loads of rabbits right against her windows 😂

Sounds a bit odd to me... if she had that much of an allergy, she would have said so a lot earlier. I suspect it's more likely to be something else - like specific pollen. Not sure how you handle that one, though. Has she said what effect the alleged dander actually has on her? Opening the windows won't increase the amount that she's exposed to eg if she goes out into her garden - so does it also affect her then, for instance? Or if the wind changes direction?

And after all the problems you had with smoke from the previous neighbour's fireplace...

I remember Jane's 'light bulb moment'. Did it ever get resolved?

Did she have an allergy test for rabbits? She may be imagining it is the rabbits when it is something else. Tree pollen and mold from all the rain are common culprits at this time of year.
Is there a lot of pee smell?
This must be stressful for you. Sending vibes.

My Rabbits are kept very clean and she knows that as she has been in my garden several times and is besotted by Benji who has been living in my kitchen. (She actually asked me if she could borrow him for a couple of days!). You can guess what I said! She has certain "issues", autism ADHD, can't do bright lights and high pitched noises. She has had Kittens in the past. I have 6 Rabbits which are close to the fence between our gardens but I am normally downwind of her. She does tend to complain about lots of things. to the Housing and the Doctor. There is no smell of wee as the litter trays are cleaned out every day. She has spent time petting Benji but never complained. The hay smells nice, maybe it's this? Maybe it was left behind by the previous tenant who had a Husky, a Lab and 2 Cats? She told me the Husky moulted all the time. Just don't know. Yes, I remember the lightbulb problem!

It really doesn't sound like it's an issue with your rabbits, and I'm sure you know that it isn't.
Maybe start keeping a note of any particular issues and times when she has been round, or been and handled the rabbits, etc - just in case it ever escalates. Dates, times, and a short (one liner) description of the event in a notebook. Then forget about it.

I've got neighbours who sit on the doorstep & smoke, which stops me opening some of my windows and sometimes from going out in the garden. There's not a lot I can do about it and they won't stop just because I ask them (probably the opposite). You have my sympathies.

My Rabbits are kept very clean and she knows that as she has been in my garden several times and is besotted by Benji who has been living in my kitchen. (She actually asked me if she could borrow him for a couple of days!). You can guess what I said! She has certain "issues", autism ADHD, can't do bright lights and high pitched noises. She has had Kittens in the past. I have 6 Rabbits which are close to the fence between our gardens but I am normally downwind of her. She does tend to complain about lots of things. to the Housing and the Doctor. There is no smell of wee as the litter trays are cleaned out every day. She has spent time petting Benji but never complained. The hay smells nice, maybe it's this? Maybe it was left behind by the previous tenant who had a Husky, a Lab and 2 Cats? She told me the Husky moulted all the time. Just don't know. Yes, I remember the lightbulb problem!
This isn't an issue with your buns dw about it x

Back