• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. S

We have 3 babies!!

Sorry, I've no experience with new baby bunnies. I would be inclined to just put a pile of hay down (maybe in a large litter tray) as a soft landing. Moving the babies may stress mum out, which could result in harm to the babies Mum may well be pregant again - they mate literally straight after...
  2. S

Optimal gender split in group?

If the 4 boys bond wasn't working, I would be wary about trying again, even with a different combination. I've had several trios before. My preferred mix is 2 boys & 1 girl. Bonds seem to work better when the rabbits have been bonded properly before - they know how to behave around other...
  3. S

How to syringe probiotics??

Is she on any pain relief?
  4. S

Ryegrass Hay

If it's a bit damp, they usually bale it for silage / haylage around here if it gets to the stage where it looks like the weather won't pick up in time. There's always a balance / risk if the weather is fickle for a couple of weeks around the time it needs harvesting. Not cutting the grass at...
  5. S

Ryegrass Hay

The first hay cuts have just started locally. It looks like it should be a good yield for the first cut this year. Some new bales are now in stock at the local equine supplier. Horse hay tends to be stored for a few weeks before it is sold. My rabbits get some fresh grass. The stuff that's...
  6. S

Bunny info - London (Zone 2)

Rabbit waste can't go in our garden waste bins and can't be deposited at waste recycling stations (ie local tips). It is classed as special waste and has to go in the standard bin or be weighed in and paid for at specific waste stations. I compost it at the allotment. It's definitely...
  7. S

Ryegrass Hay

So you don't fancy moving to Vanuatu, Jane??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I assume it's not a huge airport. Weather will be better than here - unless it gets hurricanes.
  8. S

Bunny info - London (Zone 2)

A really good source of info on rabbit care: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ Look at minimum housing requirements Rabbits need another rabbit. Others may be able to recommend local rescues & vets Will need neutering (unless already done by rescue) & annual vaccinations Flea and worming - only if...
  9. S

Underground tunnels

I'm glad my bunnies can't see your setup - I think they would be packing their bags & moving in :D
  10. S

Underground tunnels

It's usually quite warm underground, as long as it's dry and out of the wind. It is where rabbits would live in the wild, after all. Although it's a lovely space, I would be worried about predators (cats, foxes, birds of prey), and the rabbits being able to dig out as it doesn't seem to be enclosed.
  11. S

Ryegrass Hay

Ryegrass is probably the most common lawn grass seed as it's hardwearing. It tends to dominate if it's in the mix, but is unlikely to be the only grass species there. There shouldn't be a problem with it being part of the rabbit's diet. Any grass / hay is still going to be better than eg...
  12. S

Ryegrass Hay

I was also wondering about the use of herbicides, pesticides, etc. It's very difficult to grow just one species of grass, and it's not a natural diet - rabbits would consume many species of grass and other plants growing nearby. I would rather buy a locally grown mixed 'meadow' hay, and I...
  13. S

Foxes

I saw a fox a few doors down at 10.30am today...which is somewhat worrying, along with the giant rats that seem to be flitting between gardens and are currently tunelling under my bunny runs. The foxes always used to be out around midnight. Now I've seen them at 8.30pm so have been putting my...
  14. S

advice on how to travel with my bunny

I've taken a rabbit on a ferry, via a long car journey (3 hours plus). I used the usual hard plastic cat carrier with a thick layer of newspaper on the base and loads of hay as cushioning against being thrown around during transit. Fresh greens are useful for moisture. Water was offered in a...
  15. S

E Cuniculi - Looking for advice

The mites are likely to be because he can't groom properly. They are always in the environnment, but only build up when the rabbit is under par. They are treated with ivermectin (injections at the vet or spot-on drops) over several weeks. He could also do with metacam to reduce the current...
  16. S

Foxes

There are a lot of foxes around here. Some are huge (and my dogs are v tall, so most things seem quite small to me). They are now out by 8.30pm - it used to be around midnight. They just sit and watch if I'm out with the dogs - totally unfazed while the dogs go nuts. I've seen them clear my 6'...
  17. S

Bunny and Dog

I wouldn't trust a dog with a rabbit. Rabbits are too fragile and easily spooked - it doesn't have to be anyone's fault, but bunny will always come off worst. A running rabbit can also trigger a chase reflex in dogs, or a dog may try to play by pawing at it. It really does only take a few...
  18. S

Anyone tried this?

No, I wouldn't bother with that product. I'm pretty certain all of mine would ignore it, and any tough greens would probably be a better bet (eg willow or apple branches & leaves).
  19. S

Help! Best method of washing a bunny’s bottom

If an area is almost permanently damp, the fur does tend to fall out. Clipping by the vet nurses ought to be quick and easy, and will make it much easier to keep on top of the bum baths.
  20. S

Anyone tried this?

I'm with IM - hay and grass will help to wear the back teeth down. Anything else has a different chewing action and probably less abrasion on the teeth. Personally, I would be looking for another vet with experience of rabbit dentals and anaesthetics. The teeth will continue to grow and will...
Back