• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Companion

Should I get Charlie a friend?

• Yes - he needs one

Votes: 25 96.2%
  • No - he can live alone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe - I'd recommend it but its not necessary

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarah86

Mama Doe
I've read plenty of thread on bonding so thats not what I'm asking about (yet).

I would like a companion for my neutered male, he's 6/7 months old and wants constant attention, he pulls on his pen and hutch door when he's not getting any and would have me sat in his pen with him 24/7 if he could.

He's also very destructive when he's let into the house and needs constant supervision. I have previously toyed with the idea of getting a friend for him until I saw the hole he'd created in the sofa, my bf was really upset by it and said no. I backed down but now I genuinely think he would benefit from a girlfriend, I feel really sorry for him spending time alone when he's so lovable.

What are your thoughts on this- would he benefit from a friend or am I being too soft? :?

IMHO I firmly believe that almost every rabbit needs a bunny friend and I'm sure anyone who has a bonded rabbits would agree with me.

Does he live outside? Rabbits outside are in particular need of companionship, it sounds to me that he is very lonely.

As he is already neutered, I would give your local rabbit rescues a call and explain the situation. They will be able to pair him up and any good rescue will help with bonding.

It's 2 months till their sperm count goes down after neutering, just so's you know for sure :D And their 'teenage' behaviour calms down a few months after that, so he's just being a bored teenager by the sounds of it. I wouldn't like to have a rabbit outside alone, although I do have 2 singles who live in hutch/runs right next to each other so they can sit in their run next to each other for company. I think a single house rabbit can be happy if they get lots of attention too, but like you say, he's too destructive to have indoors - my boy Benny was like that, he just had a mania for getting to the other side of every wall/object in his way :roll: Bags of energy at that age - they're quite chilled now they're 3 :)

We live in a duplex apartment and the roof terrace is approximately 6/7 metres by 3, (probably bigger I'm useless at sizes) its accessed through patio doors from the living room , thats where his hutch and pen is. When I'm home and if I'm cooking or something so he can't destroy anything I give him free run of the roof terrace and block the door off with his pen he bounds all over the place. If I'm able to watch him I let him have free run of the area that I'm in. He particularly likes laying by my feet in the study and always tries to make a run for that room where he binkies around like mad. I also think he's getting lonely and feel bad, if it is strongly advised and I can persuade my bf then I will adopt a bun.

We're going abroad for 17days in September so I was thinking that would be an ideal time to do it, he could board at a rescue and be bonded at the same time. He was going to stay at a relatives but she has a doe and I'm worried he'll bond with her then miss her when he comes home, he seems to love other animals and took a liking to my mum's cat. I could pretend the bonding was accidental, if my bf saw him bonded there is no way he'd say no :lol:

ELVE- Do you think he will calm down, he really does have a go at everything when inside and likes to do his own thing unless in the study, outside he happily sits next to me and climbs on me. He's a funny boy.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan :p Make sure they can't jump off the terrace though - mine will jump a 3' barrier :shock:

Sounds like a good plan :p Make sure they can't jump off the terrace though - mine will jump a 3' barrier :shock:

Its walled and no less than 4ft at the lowest point- its more like a yard really. He can only jump his pen if he gets on top of his hutch first and can only get on that because the legs have fallen off so its propped on little feet. We're getting a new bigger one built for him.

Last edited:
Ive voted yes he needs one. A rabbit I rehomed last year as a single free range house bunny has become very destructive lately (ditto sofa chewing :roll:) and we have recommended his owner get him a friend for company.

We are pairing him with Casey in a fortnight :D I hope he dosnt teach her bad habits :?

Ive voted yes he needs one. A rabbit I rehomed last year as a single free range house bunny has become very destructive lately (ditto sofa chewing :roll:) and we have recommended his owner get him a friend for company.

We are pairing him with Casey in a fortnight :D I hope he dosnt teach her bad habits :?

I'm going to have a serious talk with the boyfriend regarding this tonight- shame you've rehomed molly she was so cute :( . He's such a happy boy when I'm with him, even if I'm sat in the living room with the patio doors slightly open and just talk to him he binkies around the terrace like mad. I'll have to video him doing it, I can't stop laughing at him. :lol: Going to spend the day with him now- I might take some photos of him and post them later on.

I need to find somewhere for him to board when we go on hols for 17 days in september in either york, barnsley, leeds or sheffield- can anyone help?

Not long to go now, providing the homecheck goes well Jet will be coming to be Charlie's special girl- I can't wait!

Back