• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Use Fly-Strike Prevention Treatments as a ROUTINE Measure ........

Do You Make Routine Use of Flystrike Prevention Treatments ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 94.5%

• Total voters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.............for Rabbits who are in overall GOOD HEALTH ?

Can you explain your reasons for doing so/not doing so please

TIA :)

No I don't

I don't use flystrike prevention for any rabbit, even the sick ones, because dirty bottoms attract flies, and dirty bottoms need to be washed...so stuff like rearguard would just be washed off.

I try to keep any at risk rabbits indoors, with doors and windows closed so that flies are less likely to get into the house. If one does get in, I'll swat it.

No, because it stresses the bunnies too much. I change the litter trays every day and make sure they are kept clean to minimise the risk.

No, because I don't like putting chemicals on them. They are healthy bunnies who are checked regularly. I'm worried if I used something on them, they would get ill.

I voted no, for the reasons already given by others.

Apt that this should come up though as my friend was sold some Rear Guard by her vet the other day and told to use it as a precautionary thing..... Her bun is healthy, has a massive run (mostly in the shade) & is cleaned out frequently. I was pleased that he'd mentioned fly strike to her, not so sure it being used as a matter of course at this time of year though :?

ETA: luckily she has taken MY advice & not his & is sticking with the good husbandry route :)

Last edited:
No.

a) indoor buns
b) would stress them out
c) Ginger would just lick it off which i'd be concerned would make her very ill
d) as long as bun is cleaned out and is healthy at the 'back end' so to speak, i can't see the point

Yes i do :wave:

I always have done to be honest... Both outdoor bunnies, both have a tendancy to lie in there litter tray :roll: and both of them are so dopey it doesnt bother them, they just sit there when i spray it on :lol: They are quite "hardy" buns to say the least!

I like my fingers. *looks at Nutmeg*

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't for the same reasons as others: I don't think that healthy bunnies are any more at risk than my cats or myself, and I wouldn't put chemicals on myself just in case a fly landed on me. OK rabbits are more confined in their space with their litter trays, but as long as they are cleaned regularly and kept dry, I don't see that there's a high risk.

I also think that it lulls you into a false sense of security - you're not supposed to apply rearguard to the genitals, yet that's exactly the area where flystrike is likely to happen. I don't think there's a substitute for clean accommodation with regularly cleaned litter trays and frequent bum checks :)

No as all my bunnies can keep themselves clean and I check them regularly. The only one that can occassionally have a dribble of urine is inside in a room with flyscreens over the windows. I don't like putting chemicals on them. I also use other ways of deterring flys i.e. plants they don't like citronella.

No. I change litter trays daily and butt check often. stress head Eric went into a complete panic when, I did use it a couple of times so now I keep away from chemicals and ensure they stay clean.

No I don't

I don't use flystrike prevention for any rabbit, even the sick ones, because dirty bottoms attract flies, and dirty bottoms need to be washed...so stuff like rearguard would just be washed off.

I try to keep any at risk rabbits indoors, with doors and windows closed so that flies are less likely to get into the house. If one does get in, I'll swat it.

I 100% concur with this.

In the 13 years that I have kept Rabbits, many of whom had /have severe health and/or mobility problems I have never once used a chemical Flystrike prevention.

I would be concerned if a Vet was recommending its use as a matter of routine :? I think information about the HORRIFIC consequences of Flystrike is ESSENTIAL as is as much information about general husbandry to bring the risk factor down to a minimum. But I am really not happy about using such a heavy duty chemical on a Rabbit as a routine measure.

I am not saying that I would NEVER do so, but as of now I have not done so and I am yet to be convinced of the need.

I have used Flyguard in the past. Although they don't enjoy the process it doesn't upset them much. They spend a while cleaning themselves but are otherwise back to normal.

Voted 'yes' by accident - I just do full clean out of litter trays every other days and 'spot check' every day. I also check buns bottoms, ears, eyes etc everyday :wave:

I've never used preventative treatments.

My bunnies are both healthy, they have clean bottoms (well Bubbles sometimes doesn't but I keep a close eye on her :roll:) and litter trays are cleaned regularly. Bum checks are performed daily too.

As they're what I would class as 'low risk' for flystrike (although I'm by no means complacent in thinking it will never happen to them) then I don't see the need in using chemicals on them if it can be avoided.

Ive never used it before but D&D are very safe indoors. Im panicking now though as D&D are going bunny boarding and Daisy has a dirty botty problem at the mo. So I will be using Rearguard or Flyguard on her but not Dudley as he is healthy and clean!

No. I keep Larmee's toilet and hutch clean. I make sure there is nothing smelly in the garden. I kill flies that are in the house. Larmee keeps himself clean. So I don't see the need to put chemicals on him.

I was talking to the lady where my bunnies are going boarding next week. She recommended Rear Guard, but I wasn't sure. Now I am thinking no! Bungee has had a sticky bum, but hopefully once that clears up she will be able to keep herself clean anyway. I've never had a problem with Bramble. I clean litter trays everyday, and would do it more than once if it was necessary.

Back