• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D now at Windwhistle, Rexes need homes

nessar

Warren Veteran
UPDATE POST 25 :)

I have been quiet about this as I was scared the owners google something and see this and then prevent me from helping, but now I have the bunnies I can tell you all about it, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

So this is their story...
I visited a house and found that they had a mum and 4 baby rabbits living in a small hutch in the garden, belonging to a 2 year old. No hay, bowls and bowls of mix, the only run was the top of a 3ft cage, so small and also very low and they were rarely in it. They said she had come pregnant from a breeder, and they were looking to sell the babies. I mentioned they were rexes and they said that this is what she was sold as, but that they couldnt personally tell the difference. They were the pets of a 2 year old, and through no fault of her own she was very loud and a bit rough with them.

I figured it was just a case of little knowledge, and so decided to help. Over 2 weeks with the help of a friend I dropped titbits of info, about diet, hay, space, neutering, vaccs, dentals and sore hocks. But nothing changed, although they did litter-train them. As they neared what I was told was 12 weeks (have since gotten DOB and they are 9 and a half) I pressed for them to separate the sexes, but they refused to, saying they couldn't breed till 6 months. I then heard that they wanted to rehome them ALL. I decided at this point that if I could get them all and the hutch, I would rehome them myself. Okay it wouldnt be ideal accommodation-wise, and I couldnt afford to vacc or neuter them, but the owners said that they werent going to do this anyway, and although I told them about my high vets bills, they didnt answer when asked about what they would do.

So I contacted them, offering to pay to take them. They then decided that whilst they didnt want to keep the mum, they wanted one of the babies, which although it annoyed me, I couldnt do anything about. I fear they may become bored of him too soon :(

So... I looked about for the quickest decent hutch I could buy before they changed their minds and decided to keep them all, so got a double 5ft hutch and a 4x4 run (these were the largest I could find) annoyingly it cost me £200, I could have got nearly rwaf standard setup for this, but I needed them out of there quickly, as I thought they were 12 weeks.

So now I have 3 babies and a Mum rabbit, the vet thinks all girls but sexes to be confirmed. Ideally I'd like to find forever homes for them soon, or I could foster for a rescue? I have the hutch and can pay for general care, I just would need help with vets bills. Or a rescue place would be great. I feel they would benefit from a fostering environment where they can get some one-to-one attention, the babies are friendly and could become right cuddle-buns in time, but the mum gets stressed and needs to learn to trust humans (I think a result of the breeder and the 2 year old) but is still very sweet.

I will post tomorrow or later tonight with pictures and details of each bun :)

Last edited:

Oh yeah, sorry it does look like a rehoming thread, I meant it more as a 'this is their story, what do I do next' sort of thing... I was going to PM SOAD when I've got pics and a better idea of the doe's age and their temperments.

I know you have a soft spot for rexes Jane, fancy a couple more? You'll melt when you see them, they are right cuties ;)

Oh yeah, sorry it does look like a rehoming thread, I meant it more as a 'this is their story, what do I do next' sort of thing... I was going to PM SOAD when I've got pics and a better idea of the doe's age and their temperments.

I know you have a soft spot for rexes Jane, fancy a couple more? You'll melt when you see them, they are right cuties ;)

I am afraid I am unable to take on any more Rabbits :cry:

I am not having a go and well done for helping them, but it is not really fair to ask a Rescue to take them. Rescues already have waiting lists and as you know they have to fund all costs of neutering and vaccinating. If you do help Rabbits in need then really it is up to you to fund their Vet fees and organise their rehoming.

I really dont mean to sound harsh and it is good that the Rabbits are now safe. Good luck with sorting out their longterm care :)

Please do PM SOAD or another of us mods if you want to rehome them via the forum. Details we need are in the link Jane gave you.

:wave:

I think it is fantastic what you did :wave:

Me too, well done, I hope you can get the single lad aswell - keep them onside and keep in touch the novelty is bound to wear off eventually by the sounds of it, especially when his hormones kick in, he must be very lonely now:( At least the others are safe, it would be good if they are all doe's you could then bond them as two pairs maybe, to keep mum with one baby. I would imagine if any rescues can help they will, they might have someone wanting a rex, you've still rescued them so well done you. :wave:

Sorry I am right in the middle of moving house at the moment, so struggling to get things like photos done. Will try and get them done tomorrow if its not raining.

Yes I am hoping them will go as two pairs.

I dont want to burden a rescue, which one of the reasons why I thought fostering them would be a better idea. Perhaps it was irresponsible taking them on when I couldnt pay for vaccs right now, but then they wouldnt have had them anyway if I had not taken them... they've cost £300 already, I just wasnt prepared, my student loan was already long gone on rent and work wont give me extra hours. I guess at least now they have hay and are cleaned out often enough.

Mum is already improving, she will come to the wire to see you :) although she hops away when you open the door. I found out she is two years old, so she mustve been an ex-breeding doe.

Hmm do you think I would be allowed to fundraise on the forum to raise enough for vaccinations?

Sorry I am right in the middle of moving house at the moment, so struggling to get things like photos done. Will try and get them done tomorrow if its not raining.

I dont want to burden a rescue, which one of the reasons why I thought fostering them would be a better idea. Perhaps it was irresponsible taking them on when I couldnt pay for vaccs right now, but then they wouldnt have had them anyway if I had not taken them... they've cost £300 already, I just wasnt prepared, my student loan was already long gone on rent and work wont give me extra hours. I guess at least now they have hay and are cleaned out often enough.

Mum is already improving, she will come to the wire to see you :) although she hops away when you open the door. I found out she is two years old, so she mustve been an ex-breeding doe.

Hmm do you think I would be allowed to fundraise on the forum to raise enough for vaccinations?

Eeeeeeeeep, hope the move is not too :shock:

Re the Fundraising, I think you can sell stuff on here, but am not to sure if individuals can do Fundraising as is done by established Rescues :?

PM Leanne and ask her how best to go about it.

We await piccies !! :D

Unfortunately, the fundraising section is just for named rescues (as per the rules here).

As Jane suggested though, you can become a Forum Supporter which will allow you to sell things in the Items for Sale section. :D Ebay has a free listing weekend so if you're quick, you could also put some things on there today. Car boot sales are supposed to be quite lucrative too.

Best of luck with raising some funds; I'd love to see some photos.

I don't think you were irresponsible, I think that it was a really kind, selfless thing to take them - as you said they wouldn't have been vaccinated anyway and their standard of living has improved massively so their immunity (in general) not specifically for Myxi - will be naturally better than it would have been, I'd not be beating yourself up over it, maybe see if your vet will allow a payment plan or even see if the RSPCA/PDSA will help out maybe? It's a good idea to try and sell some stuff on here though aswell or at a car boot sale but in the meantime, maybe take some precautions with some net curtain or something but don't be hard on yourself !:)

Ness well done in helping these rabbits. At least you now have them on their journey to a better life. What town are you from. Perhaps some other members might like to help you with a car boot to help fund their vaccs?

Hi everyone, I'm from Aberystwyth. Have taken some pictures, just cant get them up as i have no internet! Im on my blackberry right now. Will pop into town at some point and find a wifi spot.

Im very happy to say the mum is already improving! She'll now often come to the bars to see me when I go over to the hutch.

Pictures as promised :wave:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Back