• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wobbly bunny

BevBunny

Mama Doe
You might have seen my thread about my bereaved bunny called Darwin, who is now very poorly. He started being a bit poorly yesterday morning, so we went to the vets - his breathing was fast and noisy, he'd stopped eating and was generally lethargic. We are treating him with antibiotics, pain relief and gut motility.

Today he seems really really wobbly on his feet, and keeps wedging himself in small places. To me this rings E.c alarm bells but I'm just wondering if it might just be because he feels rubbish and feels safer if he's in a small space.

The when I say wobbly, he's wobbly from front to back, not side to side and in my experience E.c buns tips them side ways.So when he sits up he's rocking back and forth and sort of dancing his feet up and down. Anyone any ideas?

We're going back to the vets at 5. I might suggest adding steroids to his list of medication, as at least we're then covering E.c as well. Oh and he's already on panacur we started that when his lady bun died at the end of last week. I should also say that they had both only just finished one of their regular 10 days courses of panacur.

Last edited:
I should also say that they had both only just finished one of their regular 10 days courses of panacur.

I'm sure you need a full 28 day course for EC as thats how long the lifecycle is. I think thats why you bleach on days 21 and 28 as that is when its actually passed out of the body. I might be wrong though.

Its worth asking the vet about it though as a possibilty seeing as you are going later anyway.

I'm sure you need a full 28 day course for EC as thats how long the lifecycle is. I think thats why you bleach on days 21 and 28 as that is when its actually passed out of the body. I might be wrong though.

Its worth asking the vet about it though as a possibilty seeing as you are going later anyway.

My vet and I have always agreed on a 6 week course if the bunny actually has E.c (luckily, until now I've only had one), but a course of 9 or 10 days every 3 or4 months as a preventative. I know thinking changes on this almost constantly though! I'll talk to him.

He's also going to get me lapizole as Darwin hates the taste of the panacur and kicks up such a strop!

Last edited:
I think a lot of people say don't bother with intermittent panacur, as the body becomes accustomed to it so it does not have such a response, if i remember rightly?

My vet and I have always agreed on a 6 week course if the bunny actually has E.c (luckily, until now I've only had one), but a course of 9 or 10 days every 2 months as a preventative. I know thinking changes on this almost constantly though! I'll talk to him.

Awkward isn't it when there is so much conflicting advise. I was never really sure what to do for the best but decided to go with the theory that supported a one off course (28) then only re-treating if an active infection.

Is he febrile ?

Does that mean high temp? If so, yes, his temp was 41 yesterday, and his ears are really hot. He's quite reactive though when I go and try to help him, and he refuses to let me feed him any recover, he kicks up a massive fuss and it makes his breathing even worse which then takes ages to calm down, he started making awful grunting/snorting noises last time I tried so I stopped.

At the vets last night he was doign 80 breaths a minutes, it was 100 about an hour ago.

Thankfully only 20 mins til we leave for our vets appointment, I don't know about poor Darwin but I'm in a right state!

Does that mean high temp? If so, yes, his temp was 41 yesterday, and his ears are really hot. He's quite reactive though when I go and try to help him, and he refuses to let me feed him any recover, he kicks up a massive fuss and it makes his breathing even worse which then takes ages to calm down, he started making awful grunting/snorting noises last time I tried so I stopped.

At the vets last night he was doign 80 breaths a minutes, it was 100 about an hour ago.

Thankfully only 20 mins til we leave for our vets appointment, I don't know about poor Darwin but I'm in a right state!

Can you dampen his ears with cool water, do the back of his neck too.

Did you mention that your deceased Bun was passing blood ? Was she VHD Vaccinated ?

Can you dampen his ears with cool water, do the back of his neck too.

Did you mention that your deceased Bun was passing blood ? Was she VHD Vaccinated ?

Yes lavender bun had blood in her urine - not visibly, but tested with one of those dip stick things. They were both vaccinated for VHD.

Darwin actually died this evening. The vet xrayed him to see if we could see anything in his spine that was causing the paralysis on his front legs, Darwin had something odd in his neck, the vet thinks they were hemivertebrae, as they were sort of fused. Apparently if animals have this then they have an increased likelihood of having infections in their spines. So we gave him penicillin, steroids, and continued pain relief and gut motility.

This evening he seemed to get worse, and he lost the use of his back legs too, his breathing became v eratic and he went vfloppy so I called the emergency vet, and we were getting ready to go when he died. :cry: We're devestated we've lost both of our beloved bunnies just a week apart. My lounge is horrid, they had half of it and I keep expecting one of them to come hopping over for fuss. I've had bunnies for 13 years, and suddenly they've gone. :censored: Its just cruel.

Last edited:
You poor thing, I am so sorry about your loss.

Hopefully in time you'll come to remember the good times with Darwin and Lavender. They obviously had a lovely home and Mummy for so many years.

I'm so very sorry. :cry: Thinking of you at this sad time and hoping that happier memories of their lives with you will bring comfort at this sad time.

Back