• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP I think Sprocket has pinworms!

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Here's some poo that has just been produced. I think its from Sprocket. It looks to me like there are worms in it. From just doing a bit of research looks like they are pinworms:cry::

P9192346 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

We will get the samples to the vet tomorrow. Should we also book Sprocket in again or do you think the samples will be enough to diagnose him without seeing him? Should I seperate him from Widget?:cry:

What is the best treatment? :cry: In two weeks time I'm due to leave for South Africa and Ian is now bricking it that we will have sick buns for him to look after....

Help!

Couldn't say for certain but does look like pinworm. Have you got any panacur a 7 day course should do the trick obviously better to seek veterinary advice. Do you have any thyme growing in your garden that is meant to expell worms. If your bunny has a partner best to treat as well. Has the bunny lost weight as this is also a sign of pinworm?

We do not have any panacur but should be able to get some from the vet tomorrow. I do have some thyme but Sprocket is on a strict hay and pellets diet at the moment owing to the vet thinking he had enteritis, he's just finished a course of Baytril. Now seeing these droppings makes me think it could be the worms that are causing his upset tum and not his diet. A week ago he had gained weight (he's about 5 1/2 months so still growing). He doesn't appear to have lost any weight this week and is still eating well.

Thanks for the advice.

Jo

I agree with hurricanhoney (but didn't know about thyme). We've had pinworm infestations here. It seems that some bunnies are more prone than other bunnies. You may find this was causing the tummy troubles.

Panacur should work well to kill them, athough I did 9 days. They will start dying after 3 days or so and will come out as limp brown versions of that.

I agree with hurricanhoney (but didn't know about thyme). We've had pinworm infestations here. It seems that some bunnies are more prone than other bunnies. You may find this was causing the tummy troubles.

Panacur should work well to kill them, athough I did 9 days. They will start dying after 3 days or so and will come out as limp brown versions of that.

Yeah it is 9 days got a bit muddled there :oops:

Honey had pinworms when we got her. I gave her the Panacur on a basil leaf, but I don't know if Sprocket's allowed them if he is only on hay and pellets.

Honey's worms disappeared after about 3 days.

I'll see what Stephan says tomorrow, if he's on duty (fingers crossed). By the way, does anyone know if buns drink more when they have worms. Sprocket seems to drink a lot...

Some of mine will take it straight from the syringe. I find that a basil leaf works well to give it on (basil leaf, panacur, and then a leaf on top) and only very sneaky bunnies will figure it out.

I know you said his diet is strict but it might be less stressful for you both to give it this way than to stress him out by syringe feeding and potentially cause ore gut problems through stress.

Hiya,

That definitely looks like pinworms. My girlie had pinworms as a baby when we got her. We wrapped her in a towel and syringed the panacur into her without too much trouble.

I have heard people say that they made a sandwich with basil leaves and the panacur in the middle... might be worth giving that a go. :)

we ended up mixing the baytrl with a drop of pineapple juice and soaking some pellets in it and he ate it all up. Might try something similar.:)

Waffle had pinworms and I gave her panacur hidden inside a grape. I know grapes aren't great for them but it was the only way I could get her to take it.

I also gave her thyme everyday.

:shock: I saw something like this earlier from Loxxy, but it was only in one very small selection, and they seemed to be stuck together with it. I figured it was something strange she'd eaten as the other 'million' droppings littered aorund were fine. Having seen this, I shall go get some Panacur tomorrow and stick her on a 9 day course of it to be sure. Can I buy it from plain old pet shop, or do I have to go to vets to get some? (its only that I'm working tomorrow and will be easier to get to pet shop rather than vets!).

Hi all, I've been advised that they will give him Lapizole? They say its the same as Panacur but tastes better. Hope that is right. Also I was timing his drinking, he was literally going to his water bowl about every 15 to 30 mins, inbetween munching on hay:

:?

Back