• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hawthorn?

lildebs

Mama Doe
Can't find the thread we was using....found this whilst out, different to the other berry trees that are there...is it Hawthorn?
If so what bit of it can they eat?

:
101_0110.jpg

All of it is fine, assuming that definatley is Hawthorn (it looks like it to me). The berries are particularly good for the digestive system, in fact they are hypolipidemic in rabbits (i.e excellent for cholesterol control). We give our Dee the branches, she loves gnawing on them, more so than apple branches!

Aaah Leong, thanks, bumped this as I saw you online! :lol::lol: hopefully the other experts will come along and confirm! :lol:

I think it is Hawethorn, will have a google

Yes, I'm sure it is, it matches the descriptions and pic when I just googled it :love:
There was another berry tree I found in same area but I vaguely remember this one....
How many berries do you give?

i havent given any berrys myself... im too scared they will upset alvins tum so stick to just the leaves and little branches..

hawthorn is his fave food right now

:thumb: Hehe, i noticed the same when Denz n Dee tried their first berries about 4 years ago. Be safe in the knowledge that the berry is the best part of the plant, it has major antioxidant properties, combats cholesterol, combats atherosclerosis (build up of plaque in arteries), and is generally considered very heart healthy for both animals and humans. Apparently the best way of administering it to get the maximum benefit is via a tincture however in my opinion it's more hassle than it's worth and you'd need to be careful in the amount of ethanol added to the tincture and how long it's prepared for. Last thing you want is a drunk bunny :lol::wave:

:lol: think I'll just stick to the simpler way!
So glad I've found an easily accessable tree now, picked some brambles and rose leaves...will go armed with scissors tomorrow. :D

Back