• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mesh size and weight?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I am confused............:oops:

I have just ordered a new posh dog run but said I wanted to get my own mesh. There is just so much on ebay when I look I don't know what to get.

I want to ensure that buns have 24/7 access to the run so it must be fox proof. I was looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/galvanised-we...den_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item3efbfd740b

Is it the higher the weight e.g. 19g vs 16g the stronger.

I also want to make sure no mice etc can get through so would this be better (not sure on foxes though)

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Nettin...ZtgzqdEBFDCIULxNV1uAazkXsEsbIGkl Y5uJn7tAhw==

i know its a bit weird isnt it :shock::shock:

we used the 19g on my brothers cage cus it was cheaper and indoor and Peanut (the chippie) has managed to chew a hole :shock::shock:

the 16g is quite hard to work with being so stiff but i much prefer my current chippie cage than the old one. :D:D

The link that explained it just confused me :oops: :lol:

A lot of the hutch manufacturers say they use 19g as if it's something to be proud of so I recently bought 19g mesh assuming that would be okay. I bought 1" x 1/2" but I specifically wanted to keep mice out too, for a run you might not be as bothered - for preditors I'm sure 1" x 1" will be fine (though I suppose 1" x 1/2" or 1/2" x 1/2" would be stronger as it is joined in more places.

I'd be pretty sure that the bigger number means thicker wire. It will be based on how many grammes per ?metre? (or whatever measurement) the wire is. That's how it works with most things ... but I'm just guessing for this.

I got a 50m roll of mesh of ebay and I can barely lift it! :lol::lol::lol:

Edit to add: Just seen the post above - I'm obviously talking rubbish about the weight :roll: :oops:

I usually use the 16G and always buy the square mesh, that way you dont end up with the mesh looking odd if you end up doing a section horizontally instead of vertically.

Do a google search for mesh suppliers in your area

We just bought a a load of 2"x2" 12g galvanised mesh from a local mesh supplier 32" high totaling about 20ft in length only £30 they cut it to size & flattened it for us, with this gauge mesh you might not even need to make a frame, just zip tie them together.

Will add a couple of photos in a few minutes.

-08May10-015.jpg

With a 12mm steel frame around it and powder coated,
-10Jun10-021.jpg

Last edited:

We just bought a a load of 2"x2" 12g galvanised mesh from a local mesh supplier 32" high totaling about 20ft in length only £30 they cut it to size & flattened it for us, with this gauge mesh you might not even need to make a frame, just zip tie them together.

Thank you. This is actually to go on a dog kennel I am having made so it will need to be about 5 or 6 ft' x 8' to go on the front only.

Also....................... do I need stainless steel or galvanised?

Last edited:
Thank you. This is actually to go on a dog kennel I am having made so it will need to be about 5 or 6 ft' x 8' to go on the front only.

Also....................... do I need stainless steel or galvanised?

If you can find a local supplier you can get almost any size you like as the rolls they take it from are massive approx 8ft wide, the mesh should be Galvanised, I don't think you could get stainless steel & if you could you would probably need a mortgage to pay for it :)

Edit:the only problem would be getting it home, unless they could deliver, but that would probably double the price, we were lucky enough to be able to pick it up.

Last edited:

-08May10-015.jpg

With a 12mm steel frame around it and powder coated,
-10Jun10-021.jpg

Oh, that looks really nice. Very clever with the shape. Wish my garden looked as tidy as that.

If you can find a local supplier you can get almost any size you like as the rolls they take it from are massive approx 8ft wide, the mesh should be Galvanised, I don't think you could get stainless steel & if you could you would probably need a mortgage to pay for it :)

Edit:the only problem would be getting it home, unless they could deliver, but that would probably double the price, we were lucky enough to be able to pick it up.

Thanks - just found a couple of local ones who may deliver so I will ring them on Monday. I think we will have to wait for the new run to be delivered too so we can see exactly the size.

Oh, that looks really nice. Very clever with the shape. Wish my garden looked as tidy as that.

My neighbour/mate does wrought iron work so it was pretty easy for him, just cost me a pack of beer:) £30 for the mesh & £50 for the powder coating.
We are going to make a top to match in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
OH before anyone says the hutch is way to small for one let alone two rabbits, I know I have just about finished making a new custom built one for them about three times the size.:D:D:D

OH before anyone says the hutch is way to small for one let alone two rabbits, I know I have just about finished making a new custom built one for them about three times the size.:D:D:D
I have that one for our "foster" bunny who is now staying - hence the new mansion. We are going to try to bond all three but if not, we will be able to sort something out with this now - also they all get lots of free range time.

Ok - can only give you a little peek of the type I am getting made by a local supplier - have given him the photo and made some amendments (I'm so excited)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHALET-KENNEL...m&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c113cc602

I have that one for our "foster" bunny who is now staying - hence the new mansion. We are going to try to bond all three but if not, we will be able to sort something out with this now - also they all get lots of free range time.

Ok - can only give you a little peek of the type I am getting made by a local supplier - have given him the photo and made some amendments (I'm so excited)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHALET-KENNEL...m&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c113cc602

Wow is that for the bunnies or yourself to live in:) its looks just about as bit as our whole garden.

:lol::lol::lol: Just for 3 bunnies.......:oops: Hopefully all together, if not the run will be sectioned off and a hutch put in one part with access to run all the time.

They have a wendy house now and run attached (they only go in one corner :roll:) and lots of free range time.

I was going to get it made to 14' long but it would have covered their burrow up.:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
This is the hutch I'm making so far, the double mesh doors will be outside the run to give the bunnies as much space as possible & make it easier to feed & water them, without having to go into the run so much as it will be a bit more awkward once the tops on the run.

-19Jun10-014.jpg

-10Jun10-021.jpg

Wow, that looks really nice and very classy looking. I bet they will enjoy living in there. Your woodwork skills are excellent. My hubby offered to make me my run (bless him), but I thought better of it.;)

Back