• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal Welfare Act 2006 Secondary amendments

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone know more about this?

In particular relating to rescues

I would be very interested in these new talks and their effects on all rescue animals, and how it would affect their futures. Is there anything online to be looking at? or is it just in talks at the minute.

I have searched secondary legislation in relation to the Animal welfare act 2007.

I am intersted that this http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/cruelty/index.htm makes no mention to rodents or animals considered exotics (rabbits and reptiles)

The only thing I can find relating directly to the discussion of secondary legislation says that is has been delayed (since 2008) http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?id=19610 and that some areas could be amended or shelved completly. Personally I can't see rescue anywhere. The only areas I would see rescues coming into it is the sale of animals, but most rescues ask for a donation for adopted pets. Sanctuaries are a completely different thing to rescues, where by an animal goes to live with that person/organisation for life. some sanctuaries do not allow public access, some do.

All my accomodation complies to RSPCA recommendations, both for my pets (not just hamsters) and for my rescues.

ETA: I have found this http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/welfare/act/secondary-legis/petsales_fairs.htm which is a bit more upto date, but doesn't really clarify much

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Last edited:
I couldn't get any of the links to work, that maybe why there's not been any response (or it could just be me :oops:)

I believe that you can get to the information via the DEFRA website and then Search. I tried it that way.

If the 'Duty of Care' aspects apply, it could all get very interesting.

What does the ‘duty of care’ mean?

“Duty of care” is a legal phrase which means that someone has an obligation to do something. Prior to the Animal Welfare Act 2006, people only had a duty to ensure that an animal didn’t suffer unnecessarily. The new Act keeps this duty but also imposes a broader duty of care on anyone responsible for an animal to take reasonable steps to ensure that the animal’s needs are met. This means that a person has to look after the animal’s welfare as well as ensure that it does not suffer. The Act says that an animal’s welfare needs include:

• a suitable environment (how it is housed);
  • a suitable diet (what it eats and drinks);
  • the ability to exhibit normal behaviour patterns;
  • any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals; and
  • protection from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

"Taking 'reasonable' steps could be an open season for lawyers to argue what was 'reasonable' and what 'ought reasonably to have been known'.

I am not a lawyer and so not in a position to interpret. I would expect any legal challenges to go for those with the ability to pay. Plus, of course, it could be used against unfit animal keepers. 'Reasonable' and 'suffer' are so open to interpretation.

They are pretty slow putting the secondary legislation together. They only sorted the rabbit one at the end of last year. I haven't heard anything about the rescue legislation.

I think you've copy and pasted your post and it's posted the contracted URLs so they don't work.

I think they basically shared out responsibility for writing them so we'll adopt the ones wales write and they'll adopt English ones... or at least they'll be pretty close.

I have only read half of it and it is pretty good, just a shame they recommend wood shavings or shredded paper :(

Back