• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dosage

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Yup another one of those threads! :roll::D

I'm doubting myself - well I wasn't til the OH confused me!
It is 0.4ml/kg/day (dog metacam) isn't it!???? I even checked as we were leaving but lack of sleep is fuddling my brain!
Poppy weighs 2kg so it is 0.8ml for her for 24 hours. I'm not allowed to split the dose!:roll:

Cheers :):wave:

My only label is from the last vet who is totally unrabbit savvy - with a label to say 2x the dog dose! :roll: Even I know that is waaaaaay to low!

Maximum dose of DOG Metacam is 0.4ml/kg/24 hrs :wave:

Thanks Jane - that's what I knew already but fogot! :oops: I'd even run it past the vet before we left....I knew it was that. Given her 0.8ml total - feels like a whacking dose cos i'm used to giving half that. Still, she does seem better this evening - much less wheezy. We are both begining to think allergy a bit now too - sinusitis? or it's just that the abx are kicking in already - truly hope so.

Thanks again - you're always there when we need you :D:wave:

alvin gets prescribed 0.3ml once a day for stasis bouts. think that works out at 0.2mg/kg

hes a rubbish junkie compared to the RU lot :lol::lol::lol:

hes a rubbish junkie compared to the RU lot :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah quite! :lol::lol: Well, the least dose you can get away with for results I guess is best - the less medication the better. I have found in the past a low dose has worked for Nino's bloat. At other times he's needed more and opiates as well. :wave:

Just found this thread and wondered how you measure the dog metacam? Mine is in a bottle with a dropper nib so my vet tells me to just give her 2 drops but I have no idea how many ml this is!

Just found this thread and wondered how you measure the dog metacam? Mine is in a bottle with a dropper nib so my vet tells me to just give her 2 drops but I have no idea how many ml this is!

i put it into the syringe that comes with it first then use a 1ml syringe to take the metacam from that... i have no idea how many drops do what i just go with the mls dosage

How do you get it into the syringe?

did you get the weight syringe? its got a nozzle that fits over the dropper. i then put a normal syring into that one and suck it out with the ml one,
didnt figure that out myself tho im too dense it was stes idea :oops::oops:

did you get the weight syringe? its got a nozzle that fits over the dropper. i then put a normal syring into that one and suck it out with the ml one,
didnt figure that out myself tho im too dense it was stes idea :oops::oops:

I have never looked at the big syringe that came with it! I just assumed it was for dogs so left it in the box! lol I am so stupid!

My vet gives an clean empty medicine bottle with the bottle of metacam, so you squeeze the metacam into the medicine bottle then syringe it up. :wave:,

reading this I'm quite confused because Lola has to have 1.8ml of metacam twice a day for 5days then reduced to 1.3ml twice a day for 3 weeks, thats the dog metacam, I asked if this was too much but my rabbit savvy vet said it was fine!:? She's 2.4kg.

My vet gives an clean empty medicine bottle with the bottle of metacam, so you squeeze the metacam into the medicine bottle then syringe it up. :wave:,

reading this I'm quite confused because Lola has to have 1.8ml of metacam twice a day for 5days then reduced to 1.3ml twice a day for 3 weeks, thats the dog metacam, I asked if this was too much but my rabbit savvy vet said it was fine!:? She's 2.4kg.

her pain was very high tho hun, you needed the good stuff the other day just to get her to eat.. maybe she needs the highest dose they can give just to keep her on track :D

But do you have the Dog Metacam or the Cat one ?

I don't know if this is the same for smaller bottles as I only get 180ml one, but the stopper actually pulls out of the bottles, it isn't part of the bottle. So with ours we can take the stpper off and put the smaller syringe directly inside :)

bisc and matt always had 0.8ml twice a day. matt now has 0.7ml twice a day and has for months. even when bisc bruised his toe he was on 0.8ml twice a day for 5 days. and at one point with matt, i was allowed to give him 1.5ml upto 3x a day if he needed it.

my rabbbit vet said 0.8ml isn't a high dose for a rabbit. and these 'high' doses have been used for years and years by the rabbit vets.

bisc and matt were 2.4kg at the time. bisc's metacam dose will be slightly less now that he has lost weight and is 2.12kg. matts was reduced slightly when he lost weight aswell. :wave:

that is fine. my two have 'higher' doses too. :wave:

Back