• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this too small???

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Hi All

After reading some posts on here, im worried now that Jose's cage is too small for him:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages.asp?cage=29

He's a netherland dwarf and can easily stand up on his hind legs in it (with room still above him), there's room for him to lie down and he can hop about in it too.

On weekdays, he's let out of his cage for about an hour in the morning and then for about 2 or 3 hours on the evening. At weekends, we let him out as much as possible.

He's about 14weeks so not sure if he's going to grow anymore - Pets at Home said when we bought him a couple of weeks that he wouldnt grow much more

Help!

This is quite small.....could you buy some NIC cubes and attach them onto the cage, so that the wee man can get out a bit?
If you do a search for NIC cubes there are loads of great setups.

Sorry it is too small if the bunny is going to be confined to it for quite a while. What about a 48inch dog crate with attached puppy pen or NIC grid.

to add nic cubes to his cage i'd have to move him upstairs to one of the bedrooms and the upstairs of the house gets really hot and stuffy as the sun shines in through the windows of the upstairs, will he be ok like that?

Hi:wave:

I remember your other thread about guinea pigs, did you decide to get a 2nd bun and expand the space into the kitchen and/or 3rd bedroom?

Here is a link to some amazing leaflets that are uber helpful and give all kinds of info about how to keep a housebun, the space they need, diet and exercise (a lot more than a couple of hours a day). I found them very helpful when I was researching rabbit welfare.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

Emma

to add nic cubes to his cage i'd have to move him upstairs to one of the bedrooms and the upstairs of the house gets really hot and stuffy as the sun shines in through the windows of the upstairs, will he be ok like that?

You could close the curtains (and maybe open small window) during hot sunny days when you aren't around and Jose (and hopefully the other bun you're thinking of getting) will be with you downstairs. :D

I have a bigger version of your cage and I wouldn't shut any bunny in it for any longer than a few hours overnight. We all live and learn though, and it's often handy to have a small cage on stand-by for bonding or confinement when ill etc. Also handy to have it as a 'base' for litter trays within a NIC-cube area etc :wave:

As for hot stuffy rooms, I find that adding blinds and keeping them closed and having the door open keeps a room nice and cool. Not sure about upstairs rooms though, the only upstairs room we use is the office and it's always hot from the heat of the computers so not a good example :lol:

Hi:wave:

I remember your other thread about guinea pigs, did you decide to get a 2nd bun and expand the space into the kitchen and/or 3rd bedroom?

Here is a link to some amazing leaflets that are uber helpful and give all kinds of info about how to keep a housebun, the space they need, diet and exercise (a lot more than a couple of hours a day). I found them very helpful when I was researching rabbit welfare.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

Emma

Hi Emma

We've not done anything yet, I'm just doing lots of thinking, I just want whats best for Jose. I think he'll have to be moved into the bedroom, I'm going to get rid of one of the single beds so theres plenty of room to add nic cubes around his cage :)

Thanks for the link, I've have a nosey at them :)

Sarah

You could close the curtains (and maybe open small window) during hot sunny days when you aren't around and Jose (and hopefully the other bun you're thinking of getting) will be with you downstairs. :D

There are no small windows in the bedrooms, just in the bathroom and the window at the top of the stairs, I could leave those open and leave the bedroom door open too i suppose (as well as closing the curtains

Hi Emma

We've not done anything yet, I'm just doing lots of thinking, I just want whats best for Jose. I think he'll have to be moved into the bedroom, I'm going to get rid of one of the single beds so theres plenty of room to add nic cubes around his cage :)

Thanks for the link, I've have a nosey at them :)

Sarah

Hi Sarah

You sound just like me! I started with my buns doing what I thought was best, came on here and became obsessed with doing better. The good news - its fab for the buns, the bad news - it never ends! I'm still trying to find ways to make it better for them :lol:

Oh, and I don't know what 'ex pens' are so I'll learn with you ;)

Emma

Hi Sarah

You sound just like me! I started with my buns doing what I thought was best, came on here and became obsessed with doing better. The good news - its fab for the buns, the bad news - it never ends! I'm still trying to find ways to make it better for them :lol:

Oh, and I don't know what 'ex pens' are so I'll learn with you ;)

Emma

oh dear, this could get expensive lol.

i've spoken with the OH tonight and he's fine with Jose moving into the spare bedroom which is good :) now just need to find some nic cubes!

Hiya, pic of my setup, if it helps:

DSC00057.jpg

I don't have it like this any more - I got a second pack of NIC cubes and now I just use those, but to save a bit of money in the short term, u cud just get one pack and attach them to the cage with cable ties :)

i did the same thing with my cage when i first got Alvin, he looked so depressed getting locked up and used to bar ping so i bought a pets at home pen and attached that to the cage...

afraid it does turn into abit of an obsession, im on cage No. 5 now and can only go bigger if i move :lol::lol:

started off with just the cage and added a pen a few weeks later like this >>
P8040001.jpg

current cage >>> its two pets at home pens and a box of NIC now :shock:
P4040005.jpg

inbetween ive tried and hated two different dog crate sizes :oops: love the cage now tho :D

I've measured the space in the spare room and it's about 7ft by 3.5ft, so im just online now looking for NIC cubes :)

Back