• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sounds gassy? advice needed urgently......

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Fudges tummy sounds gassy and making really lound gurgly noises (just started making noises) and i think thats why she is been acting weird.
She is on metacam until tomorow and im taking her back to the vet tomorrow if this doesnt clear up.

Could i give a little infacol (even though she cant stand it) when she has just had metacam?

Also can i try and hide the infacol in a treat or basil leaf?

Last edited:
Her tummy is really loud :(
She was fine when i got home then i gave her the metacam an her pellets and a bowl of spring greens. Its just started making loud noises and she has just flopped out on the floor :(

Im worried :cry:

Have been giving tummy rubs since i heard the rumbles and its stopped now. I felt alot of air in her tummy which has gone but i can still feel a little gas in her tummy.
She didnt feel bloated so its not that.
Should i give infacol?

awww hun i hope shell be ok... i would try the infacol and get her moving.. ill keep everything crossed shes ok and you wont need the emergancy vets xxxx

You can give infacol 2 ml every few hours. At the beginning, you can try it every 2.5 hr.

But the noise is caused by GI stasis. So, best guess is your bun is not eating enough hay.

here's a link that covers everything on GI stasis

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

Thanks.
Was a nightmare trying to get her to take it, she just kept spitting it out so in the end i gave up as she was fine in herself.
Your right she doesnt eat enough hay :roll: Shes my dental bunny because of this but she is slowly starting to eat some.
Got the vets today so he will be ale to advise me on what i should do next time it happens.

Thanks again.

:wave:I managed to give her about 1ml of Infacol hidden in a treat so how often should she get it?

I have an appointment at 10 past 1 tomorrow as the rabbit savvy vet isnt working today. I still have metacam here so should i just give her the metacam twice a day and give infacol?

Im hoping the fibreplex gets here today so i can give her that but is it ok to give infacol, fibreplex and metacam? Just making sure!

Also because im off today i have her out all day would it help move the little amount of gas along if she is running about?

Its just until i can get her to the vet tomorrow! She is eating fine and drinking and still passing poo although its a bit darker than before and slightly smaller!

Thanks

Poor mite :)

Infacol and fibreplex will never do any harm. Sometimes too many pellets (alfalfa based) can cause gut probs. Not wanting to worry you unnecessarily but if it is stasis there could be a blockage - especially as the poops are smaller and dark in colour.. as you say she doesn't eat a lot of hay which pushes things through and keeps it all moving nicely. If she is a dental bun do her teeth need doing again?

Can you feel a lot of poops in her tum/colon?

Hope she is better soon :D

Poor mite :)

Infacol and fibreplex will never do any harm. Sometimes too many pellets (alfalfa based) can cause gut probs. Not wanting to worry you unnecessarily but if it is stasis there could be a blockage - especially as the poops are smaller and dark in colour.. as you say she doesn't eat a lot of hay which pushes things through and keeps it all moving nicely. If she is a dental bun do her teeth need doing again?

Can you feel a lot of poops in her tum/colon?

Hope she is better soon :D

Teeth were done last Thursday and vet felt for a blockage on monday when i was there and said he could feel anything.
Her tummy doesnt feel bloated still soft and squishy like normal!
Hope the fibreplex gets here today!

Is there anything else just as effective as infacol because im having alot of trouble getting fudge to take it and keeps spitting it out. she take it in a treat but i dont want to give so many treats.

What about peppermint tea? is that as effective?

Trickery is the only option if you can't get her to take it from syringe.

Peppermint tea is more for easing belly ache rather than disbursing gas bubbles which is what infacol does.. correct me if I am wrong anyone? :? Also camomile I read somewhere on here, has a similar effect - calming etc.

Poor Fudge. I have heard on here that cooled peppermint tea would be good or even just cooled boiled water. That's what I gave my Penny Pocket. She took the infacol alright though. I'm not sure really so I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along to give some advice soon.

Also, is Fudge outside? I know someone advised me to bring Penny in as they find it hard to regulate their temperature x

Poor Fudge. I have heard on here that cooled peppermint tea would be good or even just cooled boiled water. That's what I gave my Penny Pocket. She took the infacol alright though. I'm not sure really so I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along to give some advice soon.

Also, is Fudge outside? I know someone advised me to bring Penny in as they find it hard to regulate their temperature x

Just had to trick her again....going to get some low sugar treats i can put it in. Shes an indoor bunny and always has been.

She has perked up since giving the infacol even though its not alot shes getting. Would i give another 2 doses to be on the safe side?
I have made peppermint tea and its cooling just to give her in a bowl. She has boiled cooled water in another bowl and has been drinking it so no worries there.

Wish i didnt give her the full does of metacam i could have used that to give the infacol.
Hope this gets sorted soon, ive had a hard month with my buns and just want it over with now.

Thanks everyone

why don't you call the vet to ask him what to give her till the appointment because sometimes it is best not to give anything that might worsen the situation if we don't know exactly what the problem is.. I don't like auto-medication so much ...

why don't you call the vet to ask him what to give her till the appointment because sometimes it is best not to give anything that might worsen the situation if we don't know exactly what the problem is.. I don't like auto-medication so much ...

Im only going to give one more dose of infacol as she has perked up ALOT she is running crazy and trying to eat the wall:roll: she has been sitting munching hay and drinking plenty of water.
I think the infacol has helped so hopefully she will be fine until tomorow. If anything seems different and worries me i will go to the vet immediately :D

ah OK :wave:; we know their reactions so well that we anticipate and if the effect is good that good news, keep our fingers X.. when mine had a similar problem 2 weeks ago, she is only recovering slowly now... I tried only once what I usually give her in similar cases and when I noticed it had no effect I did not insist, as it happened on a Sunday I was in touch by phone with an ermergency vet before seeing my exotic vet on Monday who gave me medecines for her... after she had injections

FIBREPLEX has just be delivered YEY!!!!

Should i start straight away on it or give it at night?

also it says 1ml per kg 3 times a day for 2-3 days. Shes 1.9kg so will that still be 2? also what if i dont use it all in the 3 days do i bin it?

And do i count the 0 as 1ml on the tube? Is there any way you can overdose on fibreplex so i dont worry too much if i accidentally give a little more?

Last edited:
FIBREPLEX has just be delivered YEY!!!!

Should i start straight away on it or give it at night?

also it says 1ml per kg 3 times a day for 2-3 days. Shes 1.9kg so will that still be 2? also what if i dont use it all in the 3 days do i bin it?

And do i count the 0 as 1ml on the tube? Is there any way you can overdose on fibreplex so i dont worry too much if i accidentally give a little more?

Yes I would do - but she might not like the taste as with the infacol.. Toshi actually cringes once he has his fibreplex squirted in his mouth - and will not take it as a bribe/trick either grrr :lol:

Yes round it up 2kg so 2ml 3 times a day for 2-3 days. I keep mine in the garage when open - I don't tend to throw it away after 3 days no.. wonder if I should :?:oops: This dose was what the vet confirmed to me (Toshi being just under 2kg) on Monday night - although I have used it many times at this dose. Notch the tube to 2 then squirt. As when you get to the end of the tube it runs out before the final marker (well mine do nayway :D)

You can use infacol too - if you search infacol on here there are lots of posts - and I have discussed it with my vet too.. all say it is "simethicone" which used to relieve gas and is chemically inert so won't harm or mix badly with meds. Infacol is the baby/kiddie version - presumably cos it tastes nice (not as I have tried it!) :lol:

Back