• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urinating blood after spey URGENT..been admitted

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
a little female i had speyed yesterday, is urinating blood :cry: has anyone experienced this or know why this could be happening, she,s not happy at all, hasnt eaten or drunk anything, is laying stretched out and when i went to touch her she squeaked:cry::cry::cry::cry:
ive got a vets appointment at 9,20 but should she be seen sooner:? my vets have said she,ll be ok till then HELP !!!!

Last edited:
I'd pop her on a heat pad and cover her with a warm towel.
Try to tempt her to have a drink. Cooled boiled water from a bowl rather than syringing as the latter will stress her out.

She may have a bladder infection and will need antibiotics and pain relief. Some IV fluids would be a good idea too.
Please let us know how she gets on.

Thank you jane ive just spoken to my vets again and they wont see her till 9.20 shes taken some water i feel so helpless:cry::cry:

There may be a urinary infection, there may also have been some bleeding at the level of the vagina or crevices as they were amputated, this blood can find its way into the vagina and then out. It is usually self limiting and resolves within 24hrs. is the rabbit well in itself, is the bleeding constant?

There may be a urinary infection, there may also have been some bleeding at the level of the vagina or crevices as they were amputated, this blood can find its way into the vagina and then out. It is usually self limiting and resolves within 24hrs. is the rabbit well in itself, is the bleeding constant?

^^^^^ You have had really well qualified input here Caroline :)

How did the little Bunny get on at the Vets.
Still sending get well vibes for her.

she,s had 3 injections pain relief, antibiotic, and gut stimulant, she is very very quiet, she,s on a heat pad and since being home she had a drink and has started nibbling and she,s poo,d:D:D
BUT my vets are usure why she,s bled :? he said it could be cystitus :? He said if she,s ok he doesnt need to see her tomorrow and i was told she doesnt need a course of antibiotics

will that 1 antibiotic injection be enough:?

she isnt bleeding constant just when she has a wee

According to the Medirabbit website.. blood is sometimes found in the urine for 24-48hours post surgery - it doesn't say why though.

If shes eating and pooing though thats a good sign... maybe observe her for a few more hours? Sorry, I've no experience with this though.

Glad this chap is on here!!:wave:
Theres your answer by the sounds of things.:D
I had my girlie done last monday.She didnt eat/drink a while and had gut stimulants....but on form now!!
Hoping your girlie makes a speedy recovery...with love from Me and Mrs B.xx

As Mr Rodneyvet says the bleeding can be self limiting. The pain relief will certainly help her. I would see how she is over the next 24 hours. If you notice that she is actually straining to wee then she may have cystitis and that would merit a course of abx and more pain relief. Dont know if you have ever had cystitis but its like weeing razor blades :shock:

It sounds as though the little Bun is feeling a bit better already :) Hopefully she will be well on the mend by this time tomorrow.

orchid is still really poorly, she,s now been admitted to the vets, she,s just giving up, she,s still not eating or pooing by herself:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

i really think im going to lose her:cry::cry:

Back