• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's the healthiest rabbit breed ?

seagreen

Warren Scout
I've had 3 rabbits - 2 lion heads & a polish x nethie - & all developed dental problems due to their breeding & have kept me extremely poor due to the cost of their regular vets bills.

What types of rabbits never have to see the vet except for their myxi & vhd jabs & nail clipping ?

All though there are some issues that are related to genetic problems bred to specific breeds there are just as many health issues that effect all breeds equally (or reasonably equally).

There is certainly no breed guaranteed problem free.

Rabbits that are the same shape as wild rabbits are least likely to have problems with teeth/jaw misalignment. So breeds like nethie's and lops with altered face shapes are most prone to problems.

Any breeds where features have been exaggerated such long ears, long or atypical coat types, large in weight etc. can be more likely to develop associated issues.

However more likely doesn't mean that a mixed up mongrel rabbit won't get the problem. Mites, injury, cancer, abscess etc. can all develop in any rabbit.

Environment is also a big factor. It probably plays a larger part than genetics in rabbit health overall, though of course that varies between owner to owner.

Tamsin

I post this question years ago. The conclusion is there is no specific breed. However, if your bun is a cross breed, that guarantee it's healthier.

Yep, crossbreeds are much healthier than the pedigree breeds. The next rabbits I get will be crossbreeds, and always will be after that.

I think, like dogs, sadly all breeds of bun have their liitle downfalls in health. My captain has had a couple of ear problems in the past because of the poor ventilation in his big old flappy ears :( (he is a mini-lop)

Any rabbit can have dental problems, its genetic and can show up in mixbreds as well as purebreds. A good breeder wouldn't breed any animal with dental problems or even with relatives who's got it (as if one rabbit has it, both his parents has to carry the flaw, unless its caused by injury but then its definitely not genetic:roll:)
I think it might be most common in the more popular breeds though, as people tend to breed popular pets left and right and not check their pedigrees:censored:

I have four purebred rexes and one dwarf mix and I've been to the vet...I think 3 times combined?
The first was when Zakura (the mix) was getting neutered.
The second was when Sasuke got sore paws. (A problem that's most common in rexes but avoidable as long as the cage stays clean and the rabbit has lots of space to move on)
And the third was when I THOUGHT Aroma had a problem with her nipples and they weren't getting the milk out when she was nursing but it turned out to be false alarm. :lol:
(And in case anyone wonders, rabbits don't get vaccinated in Norway since Myxi isn't here, so there's no need to call me irresponsible for that:3)

If you want a rabbit that never has to go to the vet... its a matter of luck really. You'll never know what could happen and no all illnesses are inheritable.

Last edited:
I know my 3 year old Nethie has terrible teeth problems, including spurs and an abcess. My 7 year old mixed breed has never had any problems. I know Nethies are one of the breeds prone to teeth problems due to the breeding of a small skull.

She has never had any other problems whereas my mixed breed has had mites and several bouts of stasis.

The healthiest breed of bunny without doubt is........ one that eats loads and loads of hay:lol::lol::lol:

With bunnies in particular I do think it's important to say that not all cross breeds are more likely to be healthier...for example a 'normal' bun bred with a lop can cause genetic jaw misalignment because of the change in face shape between the two breeds...so these buns could be even more at risk of dental problems than a 'pure' lop.

Also, I have 2 nethies who are both about 5 years old, I have had them both for about 3 years now...they are bonded and both have exactly the same diet and environment. One of them has apalling teeth, and the other has perfect! There are so many factors in play it isn't really possible to specify what will be healthy or not.

I suppose, as Tamsin says, those most similar in look and shape to wild rabbits are least likely to suffer genetic problems associated with the artificial breeding into whatever shape the convention of the time or breed decides is 'pretty'.

If I'm gonna go ahead and "protect" the purebreds I'd say at least most serious breeders who breed for good healthy rabbits most likely won't breed mixbreds, making them more likely to come from backyard breeders or accidental litters of brother and sister and such.... that being said the same thing could very well happen to a purebred:roll:
Thus: the theory of being lucky comes in.

Back