• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clicker training

kat_g

Warren Scout
Has anyone clicker trained their rabbit(s). How successful was/is it? What did you teach them and how? Ive started getting mine used to the click/treat concept but i'm a little unsure of when I actually start teaching them to do things, when do i know is the right time to click?? Do you just always wait for them to perform the trick or action and as they do it, i click at that exact moment?

Thank you!

Hiya! :)

I also wanna do clicker training on my buns (need to get a new clicker as the last one broke tho). There is a fab member on here who has trained her buns to Come when called (both know their "name") and hop into a basket (for easy transport) and I think some more things too.

She's told me that teaching them to learn their names took around 10 minutes. She'd use the clicker and give them a treat (e.g. a bit of apple/carrot etc) and so this a few times until they recognised the clicker as "food". Then she would click, say their name, then offer food. Eventually you can just say their name and they should come over :)

For action type training (e.g. bunny show jumping) you click just after the action performed. So when they jump over your leg for example, you click, then treat.

Here's some Youtube clips I have, all on things you can teach them..

Some fab tricks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgDHWLyztCI

Show jumping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0_t_5O7CmE

There's loadsa independant clips on there too (sorry don't have links)

And the Bunny Clicker Training website (loadsa advice here) http://www.clickerbunny.com/

Sounds interesting. I think Alfie might like to try this. ;)

My 5 year old dd has managed to (unknowingly) train Alfie to come running by ringing his little jingly carrot toy - every time she rang it, she would treat him and now he just runs to us when he hears the bell. :lol:

Thats great! Thanks anna and karen!
I will def check out those links and getting them to come by their names is what i really want to teach them, it will make life much easier!!
They are both very food orientated so i'm hoping training won't be too difficult in that respect.

They are both very food orientated so i'm hoping training won't be too difficult in that respect.

I think it definitely helps a lot if they like their food. :D:lol: I'd love to know how you get on if you try it. ;)

Mine are all clicker trained and its sooooo easy :lol: It doesnt take long at all :)

I just clicked as they did what I wanted them to do :) Because mine were already coming when called to get them to come in and out of the house I went inside and called them and clicked as they came through the door as I said in and it didnt take too long, then I did it the other way round for getting them outside

They respond to their names, come in or out of the house, get in and out of their runs/hutches and get into their carrier basket :) x

bill and ben are only 6 months max and they already know when i click my fingers and do a A.to get down, and these two are right pickles, biggles fetches his cuddly toy to me, but that mainly so he can give it some loving, he knows his name, he knows bed so he hides and comes when hes called, bill is starting to as well mainly because hes soooooooooo blimin nosey ben the cool man veg type :lol:

thanks for that link,
its really interesting. Our bunnies know there names, and know what "in your room" and "in your house" means, but this could be really funn!

ooh im interested in this, ive been reading up onit and was going to make a thread! :lol: Kate_g you beat me to it :thumb: :lol:

Im not sure how pebble will take to it, i would use it to train her to go in her carrier strait away!! cause she hates her carrier :?

If anyone does do this - please keep me updated as I'd like to train my two also and want to know about your progress :D

Sillyrabbit - it was you I referred to before :D I haven't started clicker training properly (my bf was playing with the clicker and broke it) :lol:

If anyone does do this - please keep me updated as I'd like to train my two also and want to know about your progress :D

Sillyrabbit - it was you I referred to before :D I haven't started clicker training properly (my bf was playing with the clicker and broke it) :lol:

:lol: I have broken so many of them you wouldnt believe it :shock:

Im going to have a go at clicker training my rats today :D x

I am trying to train Scotch, but after a few treats she loses interest in food - my foot/the sofa/the floor are FAR more interesting! I think if she was more food orientated she'd take to it really well though. I'll keep trying...

I am trying to train Scotch, but after a few treats she loses interest in food - my foot/the sofa/the floor are FAR more interesting! I think if she was more food orientated she'd take to it really well though. I'll keep trying...

thats the same with our buns... well they never REALLY loose intrest in the food... but they would just rather not do anything for it... they will do the trick once or twice, and then be like, oh whatever mom. and hop away. i read that this is because the get bored of the same trick.. so your supposed to only do a trick once or twice and then change it up.
I dont have a clicker, as if i tried to use one the dogs would go NUTS. :roll:
(one is nearly deaf, and whenever he hears a sharp sound like that he freaks out)

thank you all for your feedback!
I bought a book called 'clicking with your rabbit' which looks quite good. Henry is scared of the clicker so i'm gonna have to muffle the sound with a towel-sensitive soul!! I heard that the clickers with volume control are not that good cos the volume doesn't change that much - anyone had experience with them?
If anyone is gonna start training then we should keep in touch to monitor progress and tips etc, pm me if your interested!

I read a lot into clicker training Blue, he already knows his name and 'bedtime' but he really didn't take to it. Hes not really food orientated :shock: unless its a meal time :roll: . I just don't think hes a clickable bunny.
Never mind, he does dance though! Its dead sweet, I keep his pellets in a container on the work surface, and when I scoop the food with his bowl hell stand on his back legs and hop about a bit, almost like hes begging.
:love:

Back