• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PAH adoption

unalakey

Mama Doe
Today in my local PAH store there was a young rabbit in the adoption bit named 'Lucifer' that stated on the sign 'Originally for sale but no-one wanted to buy me' :cry: I thought that PAH didnt put their own stock in the adoption bit? Please correct me if i am wrong:wave:

That is sad!I dont know what their adoption section policy is.Can someone take their pet in because it is ill and cant be bothered to pay the vets bills,and as some pets at home stores are also vets,they think that that will be taken care of??:evil:
One of my rabbits spent 5 months in the pet shop in a tiny cage,the lady i got him from only got him because she felt sorry for him.It is so sad,i dont think the pet shop made any effort to make people aware that he needed a good home and that he had been there a long time.I suppose pet shops shouldnt sell animals at all :?

Jackie x

Thanks, this wasnt a very creative excuse they told the truth:roll: poor rabbit, it has gone from being 20 odd quid to more or less free!!

don;t worry if it is like my store they will get it for a £2 donation. (at the moment I am still fuming) they let guineas go for £1 and £2 rabbits so anyone can now get one on the spur of the moment

It seems every shop is has a law of its own:roll:

i guess its better than being sent back to the mill though where they'd have been used as a breeding machine!:( Poor bun, how i hate P@h

Also it's convenient that petshops aren't legally allowed to sell a known ill/disabled animal but you're allowed to adopt them out..:roll:

Someone at our local store approached our branch about this. She was in charge of the scheme but didn't actually know anything about. SHe also claimed not to be able to access the letter she was going to send to us unless she had our address to send it to. :roll: they really do employ some intelligent people don't they. Needless to say I only want to see the letter, we have no intention of affiliating ourselves with such a place. We want to keep a repuation as a reputable rescue thank you very much.

What i dont understand is the rabbit is still young and definately still in the 'cutey stage', Poor rabbit, i only hope it gets a decent home.:cry:

Someone at our local store approached our branch about this. She was in charge of the scheme but didn't actually know anything about. SHe also claimed not to be able to access the letter she was going to send to us unless she had our address to send it to. :roll: they really do employ some intelligent people don't they. Needless to say I only want to see the letter, we have no intention of affiliating ourselves with such a place. We want to keep a repuation as a reputable rescue thank you very much.

I'm a store manager for the company and I like to class myself as quite intelligent, so don't think everyone is the same.

At my store we are currently paired up with a local cat and dog rescue and I would love the opportunity to pair up with a small animal rescue, but I'm actually wary to approach any local rescues because of this type of attitude.

I do a display board where we advertise the animals needing rehoming. We do write ups and photos for each one in the rescue centre.

It has helped to raise their profile and even if it helps them rehome just one dog or cat then it's worth it. So far it's been successful working with them. They get the donations of food and toys that are given into store and they are able to apply for grants from the charitable foundation if they need it.

If small animal rescues were a little more inclined to get involved, it may well mean that you get the chance to do some educating as far as the public AND the store is concerned.

I know I'm doing my bit to help, but it would be great to do a little bit more.

Please stop trying to defend this store. Why should the store need educating unless it's staff are ill educated in animal husbandry? Take a look on here at all the things that go on. It's indefencable really. My 'attitude' towards this store shall remain the same until it stops selling animals. If you never realsied before now why small and local rescues have a bad attitude towards your store, it's probably because most of their work comes from people that 'adopt' or buy from your stores.

i think that ljspacehopper is just stating an opiinion from inside. also i think if as a store manager she practises good animal knowledge in her staff and good animal care(cannot say as have not visited her store as do not know which one it is) she seems to care about the animals, i do not think she is trying to undermine anyones ideas about pah but is stating that as with all things there are good and bad stores...just as there are good and bad owners and good and bad rescues. i too agree in general that pah needs to stop selling animals and only do rehoming of rescue animals then it would be a better store. but until that happens all we can do is report the bad things so that they improve. nb i am not defending pah nor am i going against it i just want anything wrong in stores put right. animals should be a priority in life not a sales pitch.

I'm sure staying as far away from them as possible and yelling insults is a very productive way of getting change achieved.

Yep, maybe they should be doing all this on their own with no help or guidance from people experienced at assessing good homes, working with rescues etc. but if they're not managing on their own then just perhaps, giving a little bit of assistance might be worth a go???

Did you see the topic about Petco in the states stopping sales? Do you know why? Local rescues went into stores and educated the staff, provided rescue alternatives to pet sales - and you know what, it worked!

People have been moaning for ages about things needing to change and now the pet shops are inviting rescues to help them change and the rescues are refusing.

Tamsin

also this branch sounds like a bad one if they know nothing of the scheme. when the staff are properly educated about the scheme and can pair up correctly with a rescue therefore aiding adoption of animals then i think this can work well i am sorrry in your case it has worked so badly!

Equally, one could say similar about some branches of the RSPCA? But then, that's a different debate entirely ;)

Lspacehopper, as far as your store goes, keep up the good work and it's nice to hear that you are helping animals get homes :)

I just hope that some of the other stores could go about this scheme in the same sort of way - don't all stores get the same guidelines?

P.S: Tamsin - a very sensible and realistic post as always :thumb:

Last edited:
PAH Adoption facilities and regulations?

After a day spent doing 'outreach' for RWA in the Cambridge PAH store I was so outraged by the poor overweight bun stuck in small cage at my feet (being mauled by dogs and children alike) with a sign saying 'unwanted' that I ended up taking her home. Not to mention her poor sister who was stuck out back in an even smaller cage. The sign said these two sisters were 'unwanted'. Actually they had been purchased from PAH as a pair, then brought back because they were fighting, then sold again as a pair and brought back again and now were up for adoption as 'must be kept separate from all other buns as 'difficult' rabbits'!! The words 'neuter' did not even occur to the staff!!!

You guessed it - they were two un-neutered females who had reached maturity and the prospective owners had been sold tiny PAH cages, so of course the girls were fighting.
Brought home and neutered and re-introduced they were lovely . . although they have now been chummed up with their own male (neutered) partners each.

I complained furiously about the treatment of these 'adopts' to RWA, PAH and also the local (Wood Green) rescue who were meant to be approving of the scheme. The fuss that was made over this pair and others being kept on the shop floor for weeks on end in a tiny cage has now resulted in Cambridge PAH no longer being part of the adoption scheme. Which is just as well - as absolutely NO attempt was made at ensuring the prospective adoptees had any sort of respect or knowledge or accommodation for the rabbits. And they had the cheek to diplay a Wood Green Rescue sign as though they were carrying out the same sort of high standards!!!!!

These two had a happy home to go to at least . . . although I have to say it did put my bunny funds and accommodation at a stretching point.

The idea that you can buy a rabbit and 'take it back if you find it doesnt 'fit' is an appaling message to be giving out. Apparently most of these supposed unwanted rabbits an merely PAH returnees - or their own slightly grown uo 'less cute and saleble' ones!!

twigs

The idea that you can buy a rabbit and 'take it back if you find it doesnt 'fit' is an appaling message to be giving out.

But then again, is this not because people have been complaining that the stores were not taking responsibility, resulting in the rabbits being turned into rescue?

I would have thought that offering to take the rabbits back, instead of customers handing them into rescues, would have been the very first step in trying to take responsibility? Not sure what else could be expected?

Equally, one could say similar about some branches of the RSPCA? But then, that's a different debate entirely ;)

True, but P@H are a major contributor to the problem of unwanted animals, whilst the RSPCA are moping up after them ;)

By the way, are you and spacehopper paid extra by P@H to defend them? :lol::lol:

Back