• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you say is the best kind of litter for my bunny's litter box?

Star-Dust

New Kit
I've been looking for a while but I want the best kind of litter. I'm getting her spayed tomorrow and am hoping she'll start using her litter box better and the bedding she's using now isn't the best.

I like hay and newspaper!:)

I have horse pine pellets for my cat litterpans but I know some people use those for their bunnies too, I've just never tried it.

Just avoid sawdust and pine/cedar shavings as you probably already know!

I use horse pine pellets for her litter pan, but it stinks really bad after about one day and makes her feet yellow. :( And I'm not sure if that's good for her.

Hay and newspaper in my rabbits litter trays. I have four rabbits bonded into a group. They live in a shed/run set up with an hour or so free ranging most days.

They have three 32 litre under bed storage boxes with newspaper and hay in. I change them once a week. Works really well. They have hay in the trays and in a large magazine rack as well as lots of forage and a few pellets.

Hay and newspaper here too. I change it every couple of days - I've recently started a new trick I picked up from here (thank you to whoever suggested it - I'm afraid I forget!) of recycling hay from other areas, so the hay from cardboard boxes gets put together in the litter tray and used a second time before it's thrown away. Clean newspaper each time. And a plastic litter tray so that it can be disinfected/washed if anything does get through.

I've been looking for a while but I want the best kind of litter. I'm getting her spayed tomorrow and am hoping she'll start using her litter box better and the bedding she's using now isn't the best.

I use a layer of newspaper, and on top of it a thick layer of hay.

Rabbits like to munch and poo at the same time :) It's often a good idea to have a litter box big enough for them to do both - clean hay at one end x

Good luck for her spay tomorrow :wave:

I use back to nature litter pellets with loads of hay on top and change every day. I've found they are really excellent at odour control as mine are house rabbits. Get from Amazon rather than PAH as much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back