• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail cutting

OliveTree

Warren Scout
Can I have advice about cutting nails please? Benji's were checked a couple of months ago at his vaccination appointment and the vet said they were fine, but I don't know how to tell when they actually need doing. I know some people do it themselves, but is it better to have it done by a vet if you're not confident that you know what you're doing, or is it fairly straightforward?

Hi there

The best way to tell if their nails need a trim is if the nail is starting to protrude from under the fur of their feet. If you can, pick him up and check to see how much the nail has grown from the quick. The quick is a red vein inside the nail. You really want to avoid cutting the quick as it will bleed an awful lot and will be quite painful for them. I always try to leave a couple of mms gap before the quick.

I trim my rabbits' nails every six to eight weeks. They're indoor buns and spend most of their time on rugs so have to be trimmed more regularly. Outdoor buns who spend a lot of time on concrete may not need their nails trimming as often as they naturally file down on the concrete.

It's certainly something you can do yourself. However if you do feel apprehensive about doing it yourself, you can always get them done by a vet nurse the first few times just so you can see with your own eyes how it's done.

Just as a warning in case you decide to have a go yourself: they do not make your life easy while doing it! Expect a lot of fighting and kicking and over dramatising like you're chopping their feet off with an axe!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh I forgot to add something. Some rabbits have black nails, which makes it very difficult to see the quick. In that case, you would need to try and hold a torch or light beneath the nail to see the quick. So, you may need to grow another arm!

My partner and I trim nails as a duo :D We wrap bunny into a towel burrito and he holds them whilst I cut. Some bunnies don’t mind, others strongly disagree with the faff :D

I once cut into the quick by accident and I almost vomited when I saw all the blood :/

My partner and I trim nails as a duo :D We wrap bunny into a towel burrito and he holds them whilst I cut. Some bunnies don’t mind, others strongly disagree with the faff :D

I once cut into the quick by accident and I almost vomited when I saw all the blood :/
We do this, well, I hold the bunny and cut the nails.. OH holds the phone torch [emoji38] it's okay with the white buns, nice white nails, can see everything whereas the rexes have dark nails, have to shine a torch through to see the quick [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Just to add to wisdom already imparted. There is a method of trimming dark nails by guesstimating but then putting the tiniest pit of pressure on the clippers & if it too near the quick bun will find it sensitive and pull paw back (this rarely happens). There are 2 American ladies all over youtube who use this method. Don't use human nail clippers & don't forget the dewclaws. finally wear your claw wounds with pride.

Just to add to wisdom already imparted. There is a method of trimming dark nails by guesstimating but then putting the tiniest pit of pressure on the clippers & if it too near the quick bun will find it sensitive and pull paw back (this rarely happens). There are 2 American ladies all over youtube who use this method. Don't use human nail clippers & don't forget the dewclaws. finally wear your claw wounds with pride.

See Clementine does the "YOU GOT ME!!" and snatches back her paw every damn cut you make, even though I'm nowhere near the quick [emoji849] other three don't do that so maybe she's just a drama queen, but you'd think you were seriously hurting her if you didn't have the torch shining on it [emoji38]

Something to add too - get some good quality clippers, some of the small animal ones are small and hard to use I find. Oh and if you do get the quick, dip it in a pot of cornstarch apparently? It stops the bleeding.. (Google this before you try it [emoji38])

If you've never done it before I'd get the vet nurse to do it [emoji38]

See Clementine does the "YOU GOT ME!!" and snatches back her paw every damn cut you make, even though I'm nowhere near the quick [emoji849] other three don't do that so maybe she's just a drama queen, but you'd think you were seriously hurting her if you didn't have the torch shining on it [emoji38]

Something to add too - get some good quality clippers, some of the small animal ones are small and hard to use I find. Oh and if you do get the quick, dip it in a pot of cornstarch apparently? It stops the bleeding.. (Google this before you try it [emoji38])

Both of mine do that. Does my nerves absolutely no favours!

Last time my two were at the vet for their vaccinations, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get their nails done as well (to save me a job!). Fudgie made such a song and dance at one point the vet was convinced he'd caught the quick. Not a drop of blood, so he clearly hadn't.

We had to get a vet nurse in to help hold her down after that. Three people just to give a 1.8 kilo bunny a pedicure!

Last time my two were at the vet for their vaccinations, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get their nails done as well (to save me a job!). Fudgie made such a song and dance at one point the vet was convinced he'd caught the quick. Not a drop of blood, so he clearly hadn't.

We had to get a vet nurse in to help hold her down after that. Three people just to give a 1.8 kilo bunny a pedicure!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Yea it's so dramatic every time I'm like oh **** what if I did get it! There's never any blood [emoji38]

Kinda related, Idk if I mentioned this before.. Gus my syrian hamster, took him to get his eyes checked a while back and whilst I was there I thought hey let's get his nails trimmed, then I won't have to do it!

My Vet tried with a nurse to do it.. No luck.. He wasn't cooperating, my Vet said she'd get another nurse maybe it would help.. Well it ended up with 4 vet nurses and my vet all trying to restrain this tiny hamster who weights like 65 grams.. It was all rather comical tbh, now normally he doesn't bite ever.. All of a sudden I hear "OW! He bit me!" from one of the nurses [emoji38] she let go, then he bit another one.. They managed to clip 3 nails in the end before giving up.. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I have to do bunny pedicures on my own as I don't trust OH to hold them firm enough not to stop them wriggling just as I'm about to cut. Joey is an absolute sweetheart, so easy to pick up, hold where you want, uses the touch response appropriately. He does do that disgusted body shake when you put him down but thats ok as he is a rabbit. After he lies & contentedly licks his front paws.

Mousey has wonky toes, long quicks & an unfeasibly big dewlap. Hence she is done by a semi cradle on my lap, she's ok with this so long I support her leg to stop it going in to shaky mode.

Boo is 98% fluff & muscle. TBH I can't do her claws with her on the ground either though I bet my vet could.

Luckily Boo & mouses nails are all white & Joeys very pale too

Gus & Fudgies antics are hysterical[emoji38]
Animals are so comical [emoji38] my Vet was in fits another time, Gus went up the sleeve of her fleece and wouldn't come out, just stared out of the armpit area whilst she was still wearing it [emoji38] must be funny to work as a vet/vet nurse sometimes [emoji38]

Oh I forgot to add something. Some rabbits have black nails, which makes it very difficult to see the quick. In that case, you would need to try and hold a torch or light beneath the nail to see the quick. So, you may need to grow another arm!

Agreed that black nails can be more of a challenge, and it can require two people to hold the bunny, the light, the foot, and then clip it in the proper place.
Any colored nails can also be a challenge if the bunny has very fuzzy feet that require you to move the fur out of the way before you can even deal with the nail.
The hardest nails to trim on any bunny are the dew claws. It can be awkward to trim this ' thumb' nail.
Even if you do not cut the quick, you can pinch the quick if you try to clip it too close. It is easier if you don't try to take off too much at once.
Every bunny is different, some are much better at sitting still while their nails are trimmed.
When I have a person to help, or a bunny who sits well, I will cut them at home. Otherwise, I will have the vet techs cut them.

The bunny weight to people ratio sounds about right.:D

Someone has to be the princess!!
You are right about having good clippers. Some clippers will not make nice clean cuts and can leave jagged edges which could get caught on clothing, rugs, or furniture.

Thanks everyone! I will have a good look at his feet tomorrow and see what I can see! He does spend most of his time on a hard surface so hopefully that is helping to keep his nails short. I do have helpers if needed and I'm wondering if that will be less traumatic for him than a trip to the vet.... I guess I could try and see what happens (with some corn flour nearby!) and book him in at the vet's if we're struggling.

Back