• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing your own veg- Winter?

Hi
I'm looking into getting some rabbits. They will be kept indoors in a large 2 storey hutch and let out for a run twice a day and most of the weekend, and will be allowed outside in a run in good weather.
I love gardening and have grown veg for the family for around 2 years.
I want to grow the rabbits veg too. I have looked at some lists and have some ideas but I don't know about winter. Any veg I can grow in summer and freeze/dry for winter?
Any veg that grows well in winter and good for daily use?
Also do you ever use redi grass? Does the bag keep well or does it dry out?
Thanks for your help :love:

Hello,
not veg, but how about mint, rosemary and dandelion? I pick these in the summer and put them in the airing cupboard so mine can have them in the winter

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Rabbits should not be given vegetables that have been frozen.

However, there are several things that can be grown and will last during the winter months. Kale is the best example of this. It will withstand all of the winter weather and rabbits generally love it. We also grow Perpetual Spinach or Spinach Beet, which is OK in cold temperatures, but will not survive frosts. Parsley and Coriander will also last over the winter months here in the South of England.

Readigrass, in my experience lasts well and does not dry out.

I can't help with veg growing but i do feed redigrass. I buy the big bales so they last month's and the are just as good at the last bit as when it's freshly opened

Hi
Thank you all for your replies.
We already have mint and dandilions growing, so good to know I can dry it. I will get some rosemary and other herbs. Glad that redigrass lasts, I will get a big bale, used to use it for my horses.
I have spinach and kale seeds already, didnt know you could leave them growing though so that's good!
Why can't they have veg that's been frozen? (Not buying frozen but freezing myself- so no preservatives/chemicals)
I know frozen supermarket veg is better for people than the fresh from there as it's frozen closer to picking so keeps nutrients??
Thank you again

Oh and what other winter greens can I feed? Thought too much spinach and kale was bad? Have been looking at the foraging post too. Think I might do that for them!

Rabbits should not be given vegetables that have been frozen.

As long it is thawed fast, or in the fridge to prevent bacterial growth, why?

I planted Topinampur and feed that all winter long, it takes a pickaxe to harvest it in frozen soil (can't store it for more than a few days), but well, it's a otherwise practically maintanance free veg, its planted around the hutches for shadow in summer. I also feed apples, those I have keep fresh until April in the cellar. Since both are rather high on calories I don't feed too much of those.

Hi
Thank you all for your replies.
We already have mint and dandilions growing, so good to know I can dry it. I will get some rosemary and other herbs. Glad that redigrass lasts, I will get a big bale, used to use it for my horses.
I have spinach and kale seeds already, didnt know you could leave them growing though so that's good!
Why can't they have veg that's been frozen? (Not buying frozen but freezing myself- so no preservatives/chemicals)
I know frozen supermarket veg is better for people than the fresh from there as it's frozen closer to picking so keeps nutrients??
Thank you again

Yes, I'm aware that commercially frozen veg is better for people for the reasons you've mentioned.

Which veg are you thinking of freezing for the rabbits? Frozen veg usually has to be cooked before eating and so it would become limp and unappetising to the rabbits. In my view the type of veg that rabbits like to eat is best eaten raw, otherwise I think the cell structure would change. I am not suggesting that it would be harmful, just that they wouldn't want to eat it.

My rabbits will eat kale leaves, stalks and when the plant has finished producing, they will even eat that :lol:

I also forage a lot and during the summer, the rabbits have mainly forage rather than vegetables. I also feed tree leaves and tree twigs (obviously from trees they can consume). Fresh hand-cut grass also goes down well. Bramble leaves are usually available all year round and are generally loved by rabbits.

As long it is thawed fast, or in the fridge to prevent bacterial growth, why?

I planted Topinampur and feed that all winter long, it takes a pickaxe to harvest it in frozen soil (can't store it for more than a few days), but well, it's a otherwise practically maintanance free veg, its planted around the hutches for shadow in summer. I also feed apples, those I have keep fresh until April in the cellar. Since both are rather high on calories I don't feed too much of those.

I had to google Topinampur, as I've never heard that name :lol:

I would really love to have a cellar :D

Probably better to dry gluts than freezing them. Bramble leaves, hawthorn, willow and plantain dry well as do some herbs. If you grow Jerusalem artichokes then those leaves dry well and are a great source of fibre.

Yes, I'm aware that commercially frozen veg is better for people for the reasons you've mentioned.

Which veg are you thinking of freezing for the rabbits? Frozen veg usually has to be cooked before eating and so it would become limp and unappetising to the rabbits. In my view the type of veg that rabbits like to eat is best eaten raw, otherwise I think the cell structure would change. I am not suggesting that it would be harmful, just that they wouldn't want to eat it.

My rabbits will eat kale leaves, stalks and when the plant has finished producing, they will even eat that :lol:

I also forage a lot and during the summer, the rabbits have mainly forage rather than vegetables. I also feed tree leaves and tree twigs (obviously from trees they can consume). Fresh hand-cut grass also goes down well. Bramble leaves are usually available all year round and are generally loved by rabbits.

Ah ok! Thanks for that. Was just confused :oops: didn't really have a specific veg in mind, just thought it would work to save money and know that their stuff is chemical free. Could just be trial and error then with some faves.

Yea I'm going to forage too I think, so I can dry that stuff. We have 10 acres so lots of hedges, nettles and sticky weed. Is blackcurrant sticks ok as that's what most of our hedge is. (It is prickly tho!) Think we have some hazel too. Must get a Willow Tree too.

We have apple and pear trees but they're really old and so the bark just flakes off the branches.

Thank you for your help!

10 acres :love::D:love::D Wow, I'm jealous!

Tbh with 10 acres, I would concentrate especially during the summer months, on forage for the rabbits, rather than vegetables. Once you get to know what is growing on your land and whether rabbits will be able to eat it, you will be able to pick bucketfuls each day. You would also presumably have access to fresh grass, which you could hand-cut for them. Depending on how far north you live, most forage can be picked fresh from Feb/March until at least October and so you would only need to dry a small amount. The veg could be used in the winter months. As I said before I feed a lot of tree leaves and so if you have hedges, you almost certainly will have something that the rabbits could nibble on. Willow, Hazel and Hawthorn go down very well, both leaves and twigs. Rabbits can have Blackcurrant twigs, but are you sure that's what they are and not Blackberry?

When are you thinking of getting your rabbits?

10 acres :love::D:love::D Wow, I'm jealous!

Tbh with 10 acres, I would concentrate especially during the summer months, on forage for the rabbits, rather than vegetables. Once you get to know what is growing on your land and whether rabbits will be able to eat it, you will be able to pick bucketfuls each day. You would also presumably have access to fresh grass, which you could hand-cut for them. Depending on how far north you live, most forage can be picked fresh from Feb/March until at least October and so you would only need to dry a small amount. The veg could be used in the winter months. As I said before I feed a lot of tree leaves and so if you have hedges, you almost certainly will have something that the rabbits could nibble on. Willow, Hazel and Hawthorn go down very well, both leaves and twigs. Rabbits can have Blackcurrant twigs, but are you sure that's what they are and not Blackberry?

When are you thinking of getting your rabbits?

Yea just got to get to any food before the horses and chickens!!
I did mean blackberry ( but we do have some blackcurrant by the veggie garden)

Not sure when I will get them, just researching at the min, have looked at guinea pigs too. I might wait until I have done my exams this spring. Thank you for your help :D

Back