• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sylar's stasis thread

Aww thanks everyone. I've spent all day hoping that I haven't jinxed things by writing the above post. Bunnies send us a bit loopy don't they?! I've just got home from work and he seems absolutely fine. Just taking it one day at a time. I'm so relieved for him though, he must have felt rotten for a really long time :(

I know that feeling of dread all too well. But when the 'iffy' episodes become few and far between it is possible to feel a little more relaxed and to enjoy seeing our Bunny feeling well more often than not :)

I've just weighed Sy and he's 3.5kg
I'm a little worried that he's losing weight too fast. He was 3.8kg on the 6th March. I have weighed him on different scales though so I think that I'm going to run him into the vets tomorrow to get him weighed properly.
He's also moulting a lot so would this make him weigh a little less too?
Xx

I'm a little worried that he's losing weight too fast. He was 3.8kg on the 6th March. I have weighed him on different scales though so I think that I'm going to run him into the vets tomorrow to get him weighed properly.
Xx

I dont think that weightloss is too drastic. Losing 1%-2% of bodyweight/week is what is usually advised. Different scales/having a full or empty bladder can all account for some actual weight discrepancies :)

How has he been doing recently ?

I dont think that weightloss is too drastic. Losing 1%-2% of bodyweight/week is what is usually advised. Different scales/having a full or empty bladder can all account for some actual weight discrepancies :)

How has he been doing recently ?

Oh ok! That makes me feel better! :)
He seems really good. Very active, running around a lot at the moment and eating great! He's very stroppy though, he growls at me when I try to groom him and he's digging a lot but I think that's down to moulting and spring fever!

Xx

I think it's a good idea to weigh him on the same scales - I've found that different scales can vary by around 10g. Having cut out pellets, I suppose it's likely that his weight might drop a little?

I don't mind him losing a little weight. He's a big boy and he was a little overweight anyway but I just don't want him to lose it too fast. He seems really really good at the moment though. Much more energetic than he's been for a while which is lovely to see :)

I don't mind him losing a little weight. He's a big boy and he was a little overweight anyway but I just don't want him to lose it too fast. He seems really really good at the moment though. Much more energetic than he's been for a while which is lovely to see :)

I don't think that's too fast. Hopefully he won't be giving you any scares in the near future! :)

ALL of my Rabbits who are on a 'no pellet' diet are MUCH more active than any Rabbits I have had who were fed pellets. But you know what I am like about the matter ;)

So pleased to hear that Sy is a happy bouncy boy at the moment :love:

Finally took Sy to the vets to be weighed and he is 3.5kg on their scales too. He noticed that his dewlap had gone down quite a lot and said that it was a much better weight for him but that he wouldn't want him losing much more. I agree :) Fingers crossed that he maintains his weight!

Finally took Sy to the vets to be weighed and he is 3.5kg on their scales too. He noticed that his dewlap had gone down quite a lot and said that it was a much better weight for him but that he wouldn't want him losing much more. I agree :) Fingers crossed that he maintains his weight!

It's lovely to hear this :D

Is the new diet working well for him?

Are your nerves less tattered these days? :)

We had a bit of a scare on Sunday morning. The lady that we left them with whilst we went away text me first thing to let me know that he didn't seem himself and he wasn't eating. We were picking them up at 10am anyway but we went earlier and took some meds with us to give him asap. He definitely wasn't himself, he was hiding and he was off his food but within a few hours of him being home he perked up. She said that she had fed him as we instructed (which I believe 100% because she is amazing) and she couldn't think of anything that she had done differently that could have caused it. I'm putting it down to stress or perhaps maybe the ready grass that she puts in for them. She did ask if I wanted her to leave it out but I assumed he would be ok with it but maybe not!
Other than the above incident he has been absolutely fine and I am starting to relax a little bit more. He is FULL OF BEANS. He keeps us awake ALL night, he's always chewing, digging or jumping up on something that he shouldn't be on. He's a different bunny compared to a few months ago so i'm pretty happy with how he is doing. I'm still keeping a close eye but I do that with all of them :)

We had a bit of a scare on Sunday morning. The lady that we left them with whilst we went away text me first thing to let me know that he didn't seem himself and he wasn't eating. We were picking them up at 10am anyway but we went earlier and took some meds with us to give him asap. He definitely wasn't himself, he was hiding and he was off his food but within a few hours of him being home he perked up. She said that she had fed him as we instructed (which I believe 100% because she is amazing) and she couldn't think of anything that she had done differently that could have caused it. I'm putting it down to stress or perhaps maybe the ready grass that she puts in for them. She did ask if I wanted her to leave it out but I assumed he would be ok with it but maybe not!
Other than the above incident he has been absolutely fine and I am starting to relax a little bit more. He is FULL OF BEANS. He keeps us awake ALL night, he's always chewing, digging or jumping up on something that he shouldn't be on. He's a different bunny compared to a few months ago so i'm pretty happy with how he is doing. I'm still keeping a close eye but I do that with all of them :)

You are so lucky to have such an observant and meticulous person taking care of your bunny when you are away. Bringing the meds to give him ASAP was great thinking. It can be amazing to have a bunny make such a wonderful turn around and hearing him make so much commotion after that scare must have given you a lot of comfort.

Sorry you had such a scare! How awful, but it seems you got it sorted immediately with your quick thinking :)

Do you think the stress of being away from home contributed - as well as perhaps the readigrass?

Sorry you had such a scare! How awful, but it seems you got it sorted immediately with your quick thinking :)

Do you think the stress of being away from home contributed - as well as perhaps the readigrass?

This was my thought too.

I'm so pleased he is doing so much better now on his new diet. It's amazing how what is OK for one rabbit is not for another.

The lady that looks after them is great. She took care of Hiro brilliantly and even did his injections for us when we last went away. She goes above and beyond and we consider ourselves very lucky. We'd be lost without her, holidays would definitely be off the cards!

Yes, I think that it was probably a combination of a few things. He was probably a bit depressed too. He is completely free range at home but when I go away he only gets a hutch/run combo. It's pretty big but still smaller than he's used to. Usually she would put them in a run outside to play in too but because Hiro doesn't deal so well with strange places we try to be cautious and keep their space on the smaller side so he can get his bearings. Sy did get a little run around inside the little lodge though so I don't know.
When he's had to stay at the vets in the past he's always refused to eat. I just don't think he likes being away from home.

The lady that looks after them is great. She took care of Hiro brilliantly and even did his injections for us when we last went away. She goes above and beyond and we consider ourselves very lucky. We'd be lost without her, holidays would definitely be off the cards!

Yes, I think that it was probably a combination of a few things. He was probably a bit depressed too. He is completely free range at home but when I go away he only gets a hutch/run combo. It's pretty big but still smaller than he's used to. Usually she would put them in a run outside to play in too but because Hiro doesn't deal so well with strange places we try to be cautious and keep their space on the smaller side so he can get his bearings. Sy did get a little run around inside the little lodge though so I don't know.
When he's had to stay at the vets in the past he's always refused to eat. I just don't think he likes being away from home.

I'm always amazed at rabbits that can seem very 'gung ho' at home, but then are stressed by change - showing they are sensitive little souls really :love:

He's incredibly sensitive and I guess it's just going to be something that we have to be aware of in the future. I'm meant to be going away for my 30th next year but I'm already thinking of alternative plans because I don't want to leave him :roll:

Back