• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny moving head up and down (not eye movement)

bunny mummy 1

Warren Scout
I feel like I never post anything happy here :(
So bailey had head tilt from an inner ear infection in October 2017 she was on 4 weeks of zithromax and 2 weeks of metacam (along with the standard gut stimulants because she wasn't eating and stemetil for balance). She recovered remarkably well and was only left with minor tilt.
Today she's doing all her usual digging in her box and hopping onto her tables, up the stairs and down and eating pellets and hay but I feel like she's doing a weird head wobble (up and down like rabbits do when you let them into a room they haven't been in before) no eye movement though. (There was side to side movement last time which stopped after the first week of antibiotic)
Do you think the ear infection may have come back? I do have metacam and baytril (she was on this for 2 days before I switched vets - I know it's not the ideal antibiotic) so I could give this today before going to vets.
She is a sensitive soul and normally stops eating at the slightest sign of illness but if anything she has even more of an appetite. Thoughts?

So bailey had head tilt from an inner ear infection in October 2017 she was on 4 weeks of zithromax and 2 weeks of metacam (along with the standard gut stimulants because she wasn't eating and stemetil for balance). She recovered remarkably well and was only left with minor tilt.
Today she's doing all her usual digging in her box and hopping onto her tables, up the stairs and down and eating pellets and hay but I feel like she's doing a weird head wobble (up and down like rabbits do when you let them into a room they haven't been in before) no eye movement though. (There was side to side movement last time which stopped after the first week of antibiotic)
Do you think the ear infection may have come back? I do have metacam and baytril (she was on this for 2 days before I switched vets - I know it's not the ideal antibiotic) so I could give this today before going to vets.
She is a sensitive soul and normally stops eating at the slightest sign of illness but if anything she has even more of an appetite. Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about Bailey.

I wouldn't give her anything, but take her back to the vet asap. It could be the ear infection returned, or something else, but you really need a vet to decide on examination.

Sorry not to be of more help, but that's what I would do :)

Can you take a video of the head bobbing for the vet to see, in case she doesn't do it in the surgery?

A return of the ear infection is a possibility, but there are other things that could cause the vertical head movements. I would take Bailey to the Vet this morning to enable the Vet to carry out a thorough examination. Starting any treatment deemed to be necessary promptly usually offers a better prognosis. My default setting is 'consult Vet', but I know I am seen by some as being 'neurotic' !

Good luck and I hope Bailey will we OK xx

Bailey is still the same today huge appetite and happy to hop around. I did give her baytril last night as I figured it wouldn't do any harm. She takes medicine like a champ is fully used to it. I'm thinking it could be something to do with her eye sight as she usually does it when she can't see in front of her. Going to take her to the vet on Friday (sooner if I can) as she's still eating and drinking and usually as soon as anything is wrong she stops eating but is still munching away

Bailey is still the same today huge appetite and happy to hop around. I did give her baytril last night as I figured it wouldn't do any harm. She takes medicine like a champ is fully used to it. I'm thinking it could be something to do with her eye sight as she usually does it when she can't see in front of her. Going to take her to the vet on Friday (sooner if I can) as she's still eating and drinking and usually as soon as anything is wrong she stops eating but is still munching away

Personally I would not give any more Baytril without first seeking Veterinary advice. Perhaps you could call the Vet today, explain the situation and see if he/she thinks it would be advisable for him/her to see Bailey before Friday ?

I'm glad to hear she's eating well and hopping around OK!

I hope you manage to get to see the vet and I would be very interested to know what he thinks.

If it's intermittent, a video on your phone (if you can) might help diagnosis :thumb:

I'm glad to hear she's eating well and hopping around OK!

I hope you manage to get to see the vet and I would be very interested to know what he thinks.

If it's intermittent, a video on your phone (if you can) might help diagnosis :thumb:

I have videoed her as it is intermittent. I tried to upload to here but wouldn't load on photo bucket. My only worry about taking her to the vet is stressing her out and she stops eating. She's currently as happy as Larry and can balance too as she stood on her back legs before to clean her face. She's totally normal apart from some times she does what we call curious head and bobs up and down

I have videoed her as it is intermittent. I tried to upload to here but wouldn't load on photo bucket. My only worry about taking her to the vet is stressing her out and she stops eating. She's currently as happy as Larry and can balance too as she stood on her back legs before to clean her face. She's totally normal apart from some times she does what we call curious head and bobs up and down

If you'd like me to take a look send me a PM and I'll let you have my email address :)

Bunny update: Just got back from our rabbit vet. Apparently she's not under weight she weighs the same as last time (October) he listened to her stomach checked teeth and ears and bottom all normal. nothing physically wrong with her aside from a bobby head. She said it may be an inflammation of the inner ear and I have 7 days of Doxycycline for her along with metacam for inflammation

Bunny update: Just got back from our rabbit vet. Apparently she's not under weight she weighs the same as last time (October) he listened to her stomach checked teeth and ears and bottom all normal. nothing physically wrong with her aside from a bobby head. She said it may be an inflammation of the inner ear and I have 7 days of Doxycycline for her along with metacam for inflammation

Are you happy with that G?

it sounds a good way forward and thanks so much for updating :)

That sounds to have been a constructive consultation. I hope that the treatment brings about a resolution of the symptoms x

Not sure how happy I am as don't feel like I really know what's wrong with her but it might be my imagination but she seemed less bobby this morning. I was in a rush so didn't get to look properly and she's sleeping now so I'm not pestering her but hope to see some improvement

Not sure how happy I am as don't feel like I really know what's wrong with her but it might be my imagination but she seemed less bobby this morning. I was in a rush so didn't get to look properly and she's sleeping now so I'm not pestering her but hope to see some improvement

It's a worry certainly, but seeing the video you sent me I was sure you did the right thing taking her to the vet. I hope the abx will deal with the problem and she will stop the worrying behaviour.

It's a worry certainly, but seeing the video you sent me I was sure you did the right thing taking her to the vet. I hope the abx will deal with the problem and she will stop the worrying behaviour.

I don't know what to do if there is no improvement in a few days

I don't know what to do if there is no improvement in a few days

If you do not see any improvement over the next few days then I would take her back to the Vet. Did the Vet actually examine her eyes at the last consultation, you do not mention it in your post about the consultation ?

There are certain conditions that can have an effect on a Rabbit's eyesight. Vertical head bobbing can indicate a degree of loss of vision.

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content...34757&id=5328324&ind=432&objTypeID=17&print=1

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...TMAc#v=onepage&q=rabbit ophthalmology&f=false

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Back