• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New friends for Tethra

Sorry it didn’t work out but better to go with your gut instinct. I’ve recently returned a rabbit but unfortunately not before he inflicted a bad wound on one of my bunnies. I totally understand you not feeling able to trust them once bonded, that was my main concern when deciding whether to keep the new rabbit.

The right rabbit(s) will come along and you’ll know it was the right decision x

Well I've just chatted to the lady at the rescue and arranged to return the quad :(

I'm feeling very sad about it, but taking Tethra's best interests into consideration, I'm not willing to attempt to force them to bond, as I think this could lead to an unstable bond in the future with a possible more tragic outcome.

Tethra is happy enough by himself for the moment and we will continue to consider alternative options.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes and support during this time.

As you know, I am very sorry it didn't work out, but you are doing the right thing.

I hope you manage to sort out a friend or more for Tethra, if that's a path you still want to go down.

I know it must have been very hard but I think you have made the best decision for you all. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I'm sorry to read this news Omi. You tried your best. It would be harder if tethra appeared sad on his own but he obviously loves the life he has already. Hopefully the quad will find a new home soon but you had to put tethra's best interests first.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

It was an ambitious goal and you are very loving person for wanting to give it a try. That being said, I fully support your decision. If things are uncertain now, I would not trust my bunny's safety to an uncertain future.

Omi, I hope that you are feeling a little better now that you and Mr Omi have made your decision re Tethra and the Quad. It has been a very stressful time for you and I know how much you really wanted it to work out.

But as usual our Rabbits have their own agenda !! Who are we, meer humans, to try to tell a Rabbit what to do !!

PS, more nosey rubs being sent for Tethra :love:

Thank you to everyone who has posted such supportive posts :love: It certainly hasn't been as easy time and I think we and Tethra need a little time to get back to normal. Tethra's behaviour has actually changed slightly. None of my Rexes were ever "cuddle buns" and I respected that their love for each other was all consuming. Tethra, since the weekend, will now happily sit on my lap on the chair in the shed (for me to examine his wound) and cuddle, so he will gladly accept your nose rubs, Jane :) Previously he needed to be brought into an unfamiliar place for events like medicating. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm making the most of it :) He is also continuing to run full pelt down the long run, doing massive binkies along the way. Previously, we saw just head binkies during more recent years.

The rescue lady had two enquiries for the quad, after I reserved them. One of the these went on to adopt the family of 6 and bonded them with her existing group of 14, so apparently she now has 20 free range rabbits living in a large shed :D The rescue lady was trying to contact the other person who had enquired after them and so I really hope they find a super home. It is certainly hard when 3 of the 4 get excited whenever I enter the kitchen and reach up to me at the wire for strokes :(

One thing I thought was unusual in the bonding attempt, was that there was absolutely no attempt to hump from any rabbit. I know all bonds will follow a different path, but I thought this was notable.

Its good to hear the quad will stay as a group & likely find new homes easily - i hope that eases the pain a little. A group of 20 :shock::shock::shock: OMG, I struggle to stay on my feet with 3 during trippy up hour. Little (well big) Tethra seems happy with your decision. I reckon your bond with him will have stepped up a notch permanently. Over time I've often noticed a bunny get noticably more affectionate, normally after an event or illness, it has never taken a step backwards.

I've had house bunnies (non stop apart from 2 months or so) since I was 23. Before I got Joey I'd never seen any of them hump during or post bonding. Joey has clearly been a bad influence. I've seen Boo hump twice, recently she humped Mouse cos OH was giving her a fuss on the floor & she humped Joey in the carrier when I moved them through to a "neutralised" :lol: lounge for bonding. To my knowledge Mouse has never tried with Boo but she has given Joey a welcome home from the vet hump & a massive one where she clung on when he did a round of the bedroom. I probably should have laughed quieter. Sorry about the ramble, in conclusion I reckon its like with people, some cba, some are at it like rabbits. I also like to think that perhaps they have standards & didn't hump cos they didn't really fancy each other (well the rest of them were related :lol:)

Thank you to everyone who has posted such supportive posts :love: It certainly hasn't been as easy time and I think we and Tethra need a little time to get back to normal. Tethra's behaviour has actually changed slightly. None of my Rexes were ever "cuddle buns" and I respected that their love for each other was all consuming. Tethra, since the weekend, will now happily sit on my lap on the chair in the shed (for me to examine his wound) and cuddle, so he will gladly accept your nose rubs, Jane :) Previously he needed to be brought into an unfamiliar place for events like medicating. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm making the most of it :) He is also continuing to run full pelt down the long run, doing massive binkies along the way. Previously, we saw just head binkies during more recent years.

The rescue lady had two enquiries for the quad, after I reserved them. One of the these went on to adopt the family of 6 and bonded them with her existing group of 14, so apparently she now has 20 free range rabbits living in a large shed :D The rescue lady was trying to contact the other person who had enquired after them and so I really hope they find a super home. It is certainly hard when 3 of the 4 get excited whenever I enter the kitchen and reach up to me at the wire for strokes :(

One thing I thought was unusual in the bonding attempt, was that there was absolutely no attempt to hump from any rabbit. I know all bonds will follow a different path, but I thought this was notable.

One positive thing :)

Bonding a group of 20 - now I think I would draw breath before attempting that! :lol:

One positive thing :)

Bonding a group of 20 - now I think I would draw breath before attempting that! :lol:

More than one actually :) I've always wondered about having house rabbits and thought that I would enjoy the experience, despite also having the view that I like my rabbits to be rabbits and so they should therefore live outside. Well, I now realise that I would be unable to do that. Whether it's rabbit fur or hay I can't determine, but something is causing my immune system to react and I'm having to take larger doses of anti-histamine. It's of no benefit to any of the rabbits, but it will make me more content about the issue in futjure.

I have one question, which will help me decide, when/if I feel the time is right to try again. I've been observing the quad very closely during the week, as they are in the kitchen as is my computer (I'm well wrapped-up :lol:) I've noticed that very many times a day, one of them (not always the same one) will start nipping another or several of the others and all hell will let loose with chasing around the pen. Is this normal with other groups? It's something I (and Tethra) have never experienced with the Rexes. If the bond had been successful I can't see that he would have fitted in with that. There was the occasional humping, which was always tolerated and the occasional moving another rabbit out of the way by gently pushing, but never ever any aggression. I 'm thinking is this behaviour abnormal or was the Rexes'.

More than one actually :) I've always wondered about having house rabbits and thought that I would enjoy the experience, despite also having the view that I like my rabbits to be rabbits and so they should therefore live outside. Well, I now realise that I would be unable to do that. Whether it's rabbit fur or hay I can't determine, but something is causing my immune system to react and I'm having to take larger doses of anti-histamine. It's of no benefit to any of the rabbits, but it will make me more content about the issue in futjure.

I have one question, which will help me decide, when/if I feel the time is right to try again. I've been observing the quad very closely during the week, as they are in the kitchen as is my computer (I'm well wrapped-up :lol:) I've noticed that very many times a day, one of them (not always the same one) will start nipping another or several of the others and all hell will let loose with chasing around the pen. Is this normal with other groups? It's something I (and Tethra) have never experienced with the Rexes. If the bond had been successful I can't see that he would have fitted in with that. There was the occasional humping, which was always tolerated and the occasional moving another rabbit out of the way by gently pushing, but never ever any aggression. I 'm thinking is this behaviour abnormal or was the Rexes'.

I never saw any aggression in my quad, I suppose the Dutch quad might be behaving differently at the moment though as the space is new and also they are probably resettling their hierarchy after the bonding attempts.

I never saw any aggression in my quad, I suppose the Dutch quad might be behaving differently at the moment though as the space is new and also they are probably resettling their hierarchy after the bonding attempts.

Yes, I was wondering this. I'm relieved that you saw no aggression in your quad :)

Omi I am sure that today has been an emotional one for you, even though you know that returning the Quad to the Rescue is the right thing to do for all concerned.

Supportive hugs are being sent your way xx

ETA and this

9kz1Ay9.jpg

Last edited:

I am sorry your beautiful quad have to be returned, and I know today will be difficult. It's the right thing though - did the Rescue Lady have any thoughts on future bonding partners for Tethra?

Omi I am sure that today has been an emotional one for you, even though you know that returning the Quad to the Rescue is the right thing to do for all concerned.

Supportive hugs are being sent your way xx

ETA and this

9kz1Ay9.jpg

Thank you for your hugs and for Lady L's face :love: Yes, emotional is probably an apt word. The quad have been returned and hopefully the rescue will find them a super home.

Back