• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bit of stasis advice please! U/D It's come back...

He was eating hay alright after last week, he's just gone off it again this morning. I half feel I should have given him more time before stressing him out with a vet trip... Given him some tummy rubs first... He was uncomfortable for no more than an hour, but because he was ill last week, I didn't want to take any chances.

The vet checked his teeth, and they look fine, we just think he's swallowed a bit too much fur, and followed it up with some cardboard. There were no obvious blockages in his gut, so he's been given injections again, and I've to give the oral stuff for a few days. I have critical care food as well, but hope I don't have to give him that (more of it goes on me than in him :lol:)

I think I need to brush him more often, he's just such a nervous bunny, I've been struggling/letting him get away without. I'm gradually building his trust, but it's been slow progress...

How long after a painkiller injection is safe to give metacam?

He's still very uncomfortable, no improvement. The thing is, I don't think the vet gave him painkillers this time, so I'd like to give him some metacam, but I'm nervous in case he's already had something. He only had 2 injections this week, but he had 3 last week.

How long after a painkiller injection is safe to give metacam?

He's still very uncomfortable, no improvement. The thing is, I don't think the vet gave him painkillers this time, so I'd like to give him some metacam, but I'm nervous in case he's already had something. He only had 2 injections this week, but he had 3 last week.

It depends on what your vet gave him if anything, and what dose. Can you ring the surgery and ask them to give you that info? They may be closed if not 24 hours ....

They're closed unfortunately...

The vet said what they both did, but it didn't go in properly. I checked with my OH he said the vet described both as pro-kinetics, which meant very little to me. I know one was emeprid.

I had to specifically ask for metacam to bring home. That's the other bit that makes me think he didn't give a painkiller injection.

I'll maybe give him a half-dose, just to take any edge off.

They're closed unfortunately...

The vet said what they both did, but it didn't go in properly. I checked with my OH he said the vet described both as pro-kinetics, which meant very little to me. I know one was emeprid.

I had to specifically ask for metacam to bring home. That's the other bit that makes me think he didn't give a painkiller injection.

I'll maybe give him a half-dose, just to take any edge off.

If they are both pro-kinetics, then they are not painkillers. That would be gut motility meds and ranitidine :)

It sounds like he didn't give a pain killing injection on this occasion.

Have you got an itemised bill from the vet?

No, OH paid... I think I'll ask for one in future, it makes sense in case he needs to go to the emergency vet in the night.

I gave him a half dose of metacam, and he's a little less uncomfortable looking now. Still not very well though :(

No, OH paid... I think I'll ask for one in future, it makes sense in case he needs to go to the emergency vet in the night.

I gave him a half dose of metacam, and he's a little less uncomfortable looking now. Still not very well though :(

Without knowing what, if any, painkiller your bunny received and the dosage, it is hard to say when you can give metacam with certainly. However, pain relief is very important so I would likely do what you did.
If he is very uncomfortable, he may need an injection at the emergency vets. The emergency vets may also review his metacam dosage to determine if you can safely give a higher dosage.

Critical care can be a mess to give to a reluctant bunny. It is good to keep the gut moving and give some extra fluid to the bunny. You may want to syringe fluid into your bunny too.

Sending you some feel better vibes.

I think the painkiller helped a lot - he took a treat at 3am and a bit of parsley, and he's had some more parsley this morning. Because he ate a little bit, I didn't give quite so much critical care food (he fights a lot) - he's had about a teaspoon worth, and fibreplex. He seems to be drinking a little on his own.

I have to go to work today, but I think I'll pop home at lunch to give him some more treats.

I think the painkiller helped a lot - he took a treat at 3am and a bit of parsley, and he's had some more parsley this morning. Because he ate a little bit, I didn't give quite so much critical care food (he fights a lot) - he's had about a teaspoon worth, and fibreplex. He seems to be drinking a little on his own.

I have to go to work today, but I think I'll pop home at lunch to give him some more treats.

Hope he does well today and eats and poops for you by lunch time :)

Grumble. I had a bit of an issue with a traffic light camera on my way home (I stopped a couple of feet over the line and I'm paranoid) so I was kinda stressed when I got home, and poor Billy picked up on it...

He's had another dose of fibreplex and a tbsp of critical care food, and then he nibbled a mint leaf. Still refusing solid food. No sign of poos.

Grumble. I had a bit of an issue with a traffic light camera on my way home (I stopped a couple of feet over the line and I'm paranoid) so I was kinda stressed when I got home, and poor Billy picked up on it...

He's had another dose of fibreplex and a tbsp of critical care food, and then he nibbled a mint leaf. Still refusing solid food. No sign of poos.

Billy sounds like a sensitive kind of guy, bless him.

Sorry about the traffic light thing. I don't think what you've described will count as an offence :)

Vibes he gets some food and pooing going this afternoon.

Are you using Infacol? I find it really helpful :)

Billy sounds like a sensitive kind of guy, bless him.

Sorry about the traffic light thing. I don't think what you've described will count as an offence :)

Vibes he gets some food and pooing going this afternoon.

Are you using Infacol? I find it really helpful :)

Those traffic light cameras just make me super nervous! :lol:

I've never tried infacol, at the moment he's just taking his emeprid. I'll ask the vet about it if I do have to take him back at all.

There are 8 tiny, tiny poos in the litter tray this evening, and he ate half a treat and some herby forage. Small improvement.

Those traffic light cameras just make me super nervous! :lol:

I've never tried infacol, at the moment he's just taking his emeprid. I'll ask the vet about it if I do have to take him back at all.

There are 8 tiny, tiny poos in the litter tray this evening, and he ate half a treat and some herby forage. Small improvement.

Baby steps :)

Wonder what caused the stasis though ..

Just a little update: Billy is at the point of eating if it's really exciting. Herby hay, 1 or 2 pellets and herbs.

I think I'll give the vet a ring, because I'll run out of emeprid and fibreplex after today, and he might need to be medicated for a bit longer.

Just a little update: Billy is at the point of eating if it's really exciting. Herby hay, 1 or 2 pellets and herbs.

I think I'll give the vet a ring, because I'll run out of emeprid and fibreplex after today, and he might need to be medicated for a bit longer.

Glad to hear this :)

I would agree, have some in stock for a little longer .. He needs to be well and truly out of the woods

Back