• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie Bear in Stasis

Hope you receive some good news from the Vet this morning and that CB will be able to return home. I expect the Vet will suggest a treatment plan for his Arthritis. This may include giving him daily anti-inflammatory analgesia -eg Metacam

Additional complimentary therapies that can be useful for managing arthritis are acupuncture and cold laser therapy. My Vet offers both

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

A bit more reading material related to Arthritic Rabbits :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-arthritis/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html

http://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_290501.shtml

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Osteo/arthritis.htm
Thank you JJ , he was on metacam 25kg 2x daily before he stopped eating completely. So I'm worried even on metacam this will happen again

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I hope you get some good news about Charlie bear this morning.

Sending loads of vibes for him and hugs for you.

Thank you JJ , he was on metacam 25kg 2x daily before he stopped eating completely. So I'm worried even on metacam this will happen again

I have found that my arthritic Rabbits benefit a lot from Acupuncture alongside their Metacam. Another analgesic option is Tramadol, but I would want to try the Acupuncture route first.Unless of course the Rabbit was in severe pain and immediate additional (to Metacam) pain control was needed.

Hopefully your Vet will be able to help CB to feel a lot more comfortable x

Thank you everyone , no news today on Charlie , hopefully no news is good news. What are your thoughts on x rays in this case xx

With regards to acupuncture, how quickly do you see any improvement and how many sessions per month etc usually JJ?

With regards to acupuncture, how quickly do you see any improvement and how many sessions per month etc usually JJ?

Response to treatment varies. Sometimes there can be a marked improvement after the first session. But usually it takes about 3 treatments before progress becomes obvious. How many treatments are needed and at what frequency is a decision the Vet makes for the individual case. Of course there may be some Rabbits who find Acupuncture too stressful, which would be completely counterproductive. I have only had that situation occur once x

I had this discussion with my vet a few months ago concerning one of my elderlies.

Acupuncture can make a difference after the very first session. My vet would suggest a course of 6 sessions to fully assess how the treatment is working. The good news is that it's less expensive than normal vet visits, and you see a highly qualified professional :)

I had this discussion with my vet a few months ago concerning one of my elderlies.

Acupuncture can make a difference after the very first session. My vet would suggest a course of 6 sessions to fully assess how the treatment is working. The good news is that it's less expensive than normal vet visits, and you see a highly qualified professional :)
Ok cool that's good then. I know they want to see x rays and do bloods but it's obvious that it's his limbs as you can see him struggling . He has a bent rear foot and they want to xray it. What are they looking for do you think ? Do they put the steriod injections into particular areas? Xx

Ok cool that's good then. I know they want to see x rays and do bloods but it's obvious that it's his limbs as you can see him struggling . He has a bent rear foot and they want to xray it. What are they looking for do you think ? Do they put the steriod injections into particular areas? Xx

I should talk with them. You don't want to have X-rays unless they've a very good reason to find out something that will affect his treatment.

Have they suggested a steroid injection? It doesn't go into a specific area, it's a 'general' drug. They are best avoided, but can be useful in certain circumstances, where pain relief is needed:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Corticost/Cortico.htm

I know we have 'talked' about anabolic steroids - these might help Charlie.
They aren't the same as the corticosteroids I refer to in the link :)

Update : Charlie has had x rays can't see anything wrong . Looks like arthritis must be the only way forward. The vet said when he sleeps he props himself up against things to keep himself balanced which is true. I contacted some local vets that do acupuncture and it seems the average session is about 55 pounds which I was quite happy with

Update : Charlie has had x rays can't see anything wrong . Looks like arthritis must be the only way forward. The vet said when he sleeps he props himself up against things to keep himself balanced which is true. I contacted some local vets that do acupuncture and it seems the average session is about 55 pounds which I was quite happy with

Just seen this, has the Vet checked CB's ears ?

Yeah he's already had the surgery on one ear where he has a whole in the side of his head (oblation? ) why what you thinking JJ? Xx

That his balance issues may be due to Inner ear problems. Given that he's already had an ear canal ablation it seems even more of a possibility. Could his pain be from his ears instead of/aswell as arthritis ?

Glad to hear that things seem to be improving. :)

A loss of balance can be due to inner ear issues. Especially since he's had his ear ablation surgery.

What pain relief will he be given, have they mentioned?

Glad to hear that things seem to be improving. :)

A loss of balance can be due to inner ear issues. Especially since he's had his ear ablation surgery.

What pain relief will he be given, have they mentioned?
Apperntly he's been on metacam injectons. He's coming home tonight at six! !!

Back