• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

digging box ideas

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I want to get some kind of digging box for my buns but not sure how to go about it....I've read about getting a sturdy cardboard box with a hole at the end of the longest part then to fill with shredded paper or hay (assuming soil is fine)
then the idea is for the rabbit to go in turn itself around and then fling the contents against the blocked side.

however as mine are outside a cardboard box is going to be hopeless when it rains so I was wondering what else I could do?

You could get a large plastic storage box with a lid and cut a hole in the side.
My brother cut some holes in plastic for me before and he heated the area with a lighter and then cut it with a craft knife as the plastic was softer to cut.
Make sure to file down the edges after cutting the hole.

I have 1 and will be making it into a little den for the bunnies soon.

i recently got a huge under bed storage box for this reason.. only £4.99 at B&M if you have one near you. :D

I got a sturdy black storage box from Tesco the other day. It was 1.97, on a 3 for two offer. The buns are loving jumping in and out of it, it's a good height so no cutting needed. At the moment I have hay in one with herbs mixed through it. They also have one with sand and earth with a few pellets mixed in to find. Because there were three there's one in the run and one in each hutch.

Back