• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit never eaten hay - any tips?

dex179

Warren Scout
Hi All

I know this may be nearly 6 years too late, but I've only discovered this forum (yes slow I know) and wondered if anyone could suggest things I could do to get my Dexter to eat hay?

It's the cause of all his underlying health problems - gut statis (in the past), on-going monthly teeth problems (clipping of front teeth, removing spurs which has lacerated his tongue way too often), eye problems etc I could go on...

I think I've tried every type of hay under the sun. Cheap, expensive, you name it.

If you guys have any other suggestions on how to get him to switch to eating hay that would be incredible, although after 6 years I suspect the chances of him eating hay are very remote.

Thanks all

Hi All

I know this may be nearly 6 years too late, but I've only discovered this forum (yes slow I know) and wondered if anyone could suggest things I could do to get my Dexter to eat hay?

It's the cause of all his underlying health problems - gut statis (in the past), on-going monthly teeth problems (clipping of front teeth, removing spurs which has lacerated his tongue way too often), eye problems etc I could go on...

I think I've tried every type of hay under the sun. Cheap, expensive, you name it.

If you guys have any other suggestions on how to get him to switch to eating hay that would be incredible, although after 6 years I suspect the chances of him eating hay are very remote.

Thanks all

Sadly I suspect this will be true. With all Dexters dental issues its likely he can't eat hay, not won't. Grass is just as good if you can get it- some dental buns can manage fresh grass. Readigrass could be one to try

I think I would try him with grass and monitor how he eats it. If he seems to be getting on with the grass you can try some hay. I took a rabbit off some people a couple of years ago who didn't realise he should be eating hay so you are not the only person to not realise. Hopefully he will like grass and it might help wear his teeth down.

My rabbits eat loads of hay, but they much prefer grass, when they can get it. I try to cut them a large box of it each day and it's eaten very quickly.

There was a period when he did eat grass, but after a trip to the vets, he suddenly stopped. Up until that point his dental problems weren't that bad at all.....

I have grass in the garden but tried it and he won't touch it. That was a while back...might try again but again chances are slim

Obviously as I've posted in another thread, he's not well at the moment and refusing to eat by himself.

I'm just wondering if there's a strategy or way in place to get him to eat hay? Looks slim doesn't it...

Back