• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

home dried hay

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
it smells beautiful, looks lovely but since the bunnies are likely to be less than enthused I thought I'd share my 'achievement' here

T3pvRj0l.jpg

It does look lovely. Based on our experience here though, I think you're probably right that the bunnies might not be enthusiastic. It might have something to do with the fact that they seem to prefer short cut pieces of grass, rather than long strands with seedheads. But that doesn't explain their reaction to commercially produced hay with long strands and seedheads. I don't know :)

Thank You. I've weighed 200g out last night & put it in J&B's rack & will weigh again after 24 hours. i bet they'll just eat the commercial timothy thats in the tray. mouse has had a few tries (she doesn't eat much of any hay) & Boobly ate about 80% of a small handful I hand fed her. Joey doesn't seem keen as yet. I need to work out if its worth drying more - I did enjoy it though

That looks amazing! It must have taken quite a bit of effort.

Mine are hay snobs. Yesterday I started a new bag and it is heavier strands and they ate less.
When I bought larger boxes of same stuff I had feed store,they closed, open box so I could look at it and smell it.

it smells beautiful, looks lovely but since the bunnies are likely to be less than enthused I thought I'd share my 'achievement' here

T3pvRj0l.jpg
[/IMG]
Wow that looks incredible! I should've done that before we cut the lawn [emoji38] it was totally out of control [emoji38]

Why don't bunnies seem to like home made hay tho?!

That looks amazing! It must have taken quite a bit of effort.

Mine are hay snobs. Yesterday I started a new bag and it is heavier strands and they ate less.
When I bought larger boxes of same stuff I had feed store,they closed, open box so I could look at it and smell it.

:lol: I would definitely choose the wrong hay for mine, whenever I get some hay I think looks really good the bunnies are like meh, wheres the old brown timothy hay from 2018 ?

Wow that looks incredible! I should've done that before we cut the lawn [emoji38] it was totally out of control [emoji38]

Why don't bunnies seem to like home made hay tho?!

they are going to learn to like it :lol: TBF the hay rack does look emptier

thanks everybun - if only I had you lot to feed instead, I bet it'd be a lot easier (though maybe less tranquil & far too peopley :lol:

thanks everybun - if only I had you lot to feed instead, I bet it'd be a lot easier (though maybe less tranquil & far too peopley :lol:

:lol: I could bring the goats too. They would definitely eat it. And everything else :lol:

:lol: I would definitely choose the wrong hay for mine, whenever I get some hay I think looks really good the bunnies are like meh, wheres the old brown timothy hay from 2018 ?

:lol:
Mine had me running to buy more because I cannot resist them running to the box of perfectly good,says me,hay and then begging. On the way home from paying a crazy amount for hay, I saw a beautiful pile of freshly mowed hay left from highway crew mowing near busy intersection. It was probably contaminated by car exhaust from all the traffic.

It does look lovely. Based on our experience here though, I think you're probably right that the bunnies might not be enthusiastic. It might have something to do with the fact that they seem to prefer short cut pieces of grass, rather than long strands with seedheads. But that doesn't explain their reaction to commercially produced hay with long strands and seedheads. I don't know :)
Indeed, mine sometimes go for the seedheads first!

:lol: I could bring the goats too. They would definitely eat it. And everything else :lol:
:lol:

call off the people (jury is still ou on having goat guests, Boo says they are fun, Joey says they are greedy.
Mousey only has the home dried hay in her tray so it was nice to see her truffling & trying on hay jewellery (all my rabbits have done this)

4sVNQV7l.jpg

& she was still wearing it when she emerged:lol::love:

MVhbXQll.jpg

she is so special...

Boo and Joey are both right, the goats are fun and greedy:lol: those are lovely photos, I love Mouse in her hay tiara :love:

Back