• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scally *may* have had a stroke...At peace

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I have just got back from emergency vet appointment and settled him. The little love seems pretty much back to his normal rather broken self but *touch wood* without any additional lasting effects.

I heard some scrabbling and went to investigate a nd found him kind of slithering, trying to mobilise and panicking. Both back feet were at the same side of him and he could not stand. Only one front leg appeared to be working properly so his attempts at moving meant he was going in a circle. The vet did some neurological tests and his front legs responded differently, there was a definite lack of response in one. He was walking by then and had improved massively. I really thought I would lose him tonight when the 'episode' was happening. He was sat having a preen a few minutes ago having just polished off some coriander.

He was also found to have a strange heart rhythm. The same vet saw him on Monday and he didn't have it then. This is quite worrying.

Last edited:
Oh BB, my heart fell when I saw your post title. Poor wee Scally, I hope this will all sort itself out somehow. (((((((Hugs and vibes)))))))

Thinking of both of you and hoping for the best for your little man. I'm still sending vibes for Elijah as well. xxxxxxx

I have just got back from emergency vet appointment and settled him. The little love seems pretty much back to his normal rather broken self but *touch wood* without any additional lasting effects.

I heard some scrabbling and went to investigate a nd found him kind of slithering, trying to mobilise and panicking. Both back feet were at the same side of him and he could not stand. Only one front leg appeared to be working properly so his attempts at moving meant he was going in a circle. The vet did some neurological tests and his front legs responded differently, there was a definite lack of response in one. He was walking by then and had improved massively. I really thought I would lose him tonight when the 'episode' was happening. He was sat having a preen a few minutes ago having just polished of some coriander.

He was also found to have a strange heart rhythm. The same vet saw him on Monday and he didn't have it then. This is quite worrying.

Oh not poor Scally :cry: I really hope that he can pull through. I had a couple of Rabbits who had suspected CVAs and both managed to do so, albeit one did have lasting neurological deficits. Millions of vibes being sent xx

How distressing for you :( Sending loads of vibes for Scally. I hope he makes a full recovery.

So sorry to hear this, hope little Scally will make lots of improvement. Sending loads of vibes xxxx

Thanks all, I am pleased to report that Scally is his normal self this morning. Mobilising as he normally does and tucking into food etc. Though I have been warned that it may happen again.

Oh not poor Scally :cry: I really hope that he can pull through. I had a couple of Rabbits who had suspected CVAs and both managed to do so, albeit one did have lasting neurological deficits. Millions of vibes being sent xx

I'm pretty sure when she was explaining the details H said TIA but I could be wrong. I'd have to Google to remind myself of the difference between TIA and CVA. She had said it's not uncommon in older dogs but sometimes they make good recoveries. It wasn't something she had a lot of experience with in rabbits.

Thanks all, I am pleased to report that Scally is his normal self this morning. Mobilising as he normally does and tucking into food etc. Though I have been warned that it may happen again.

I'm pretty sure when she was explaining the details H said TIA but I could be wrong. I'd have to Google to remind myself of the difference between TIA and CVA. She had said it's not uncommon in older dogs but sometimes they make good recoveries. It wasn't something she had a lot of experience with in rabbits.

A 'TIA' is a 'transient ischaemic attack'- a transient loss of blood flow to the brain. In many cases it does not cause permanent damage. it might be that the newly discovered heart arrhythmia is related to the possible TIA

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17903852

A 'TIA' is a 'transient ischaemic attack'- a transient loss of blood flow to the brain. In many cases it does not cause permanent damage. it might be that the newly discovered heart arrhythmia is related to the possible TIA

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17903852

Yeah, thinking about it, she talked about ECGs and pace makers in humans. I hadn't realised how much there was to listening to heart sounds until she explained some of the details eg when I asked whether it was the same as a heart murmur. Paramedics have often talked a bit about heart rhythm when doing ECGs on my parents (both have known atrial fibrillation) a paramedic once explained to me the difference between irregularly irregular and standard irregular. ... there's so much to learn. No wonder it takes to long to train to be a vet.

Yeah, thinking about it, she talked about ECGs and pace makers in humans. I hadn't realised how much there was to listening to heart sounds until she explained some of the details eg when I asked whether it was the same as a heart murmur. Paramedics have often talked a bit about heart rhythm when doing ECGs on my parents (both have known atrial fibrillation) a paramedic once explained to me the difference between irregularly irregular and standard irregular. ... there's so much to learn. No wonder it takes to long to train to be a vet.

Too true !! My brain freezes just thinking about it x

I’m glad he is ok this morning, hope he remains well now, topping up the vibes xx

Just seen this. Poor Scally, wonderful that he is doing so much better today. Fingers crossed that it was a one off for the wonderful little chap x

Just seen this. Poor Scally, wonderful that he is doing so much better today. Fingers crossed that it was a one off for the wonderful little chap x

I was really frazzled when we got back at half past midnight and he was just tucking into coriander like he didn't understand what all the fuss was about :roll:

There was a one in four chance of it being our favourite vet on call and at least it happened when my parents were in my brother's care.. so at least all that worked out well!

I am pleased to say that when Scallybags was reviewed by the vet yesterday his heart rhythm had returned to normal!! :D

Back