• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus has eaten plastic wrapper

Graciee

Staff member
My boyfriend has just come in, in a flap, Atticus has ripped off and eaten a chunk of label from the ashbeck water bottle... Idk what to do tbh... Will it pass? He won't be able to digest it... But maybe could pass it? If I don't see it in output though... I'm guessing it'll be stuck somewhere? Can this all be fixed? Ima call my vet at 9, but in the interim Idk what to do, he seems fine but it only happened like 30 mins ago :/

TIA x

Oh its a huge 5L bottle, just FYI for scale probably 10cm long (missing section)
b3f88305b7cb6c45d6582bada335dbf2.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rightly or wrongly I am relaxed about my rabbits with these issues. They have eaten plastic previously and also lino from the floor. Not massive amounts obviously, but eaten them none the less. I have always just monitored them closely for about 24 hours. I have also never seen any evidence of the items in their litter tray. From your pic, it doesn't seem like an enormous amount and in your position I would just observe him.

I hope he will be OK.

I think he will be ok graciee, Dennis has eaten a lot of plastic when he was in my mums care. I'm sure the vets with just tell you to keep an eye on him and I hope he will be alright. I'm sure he will he's eaten a whole menu of forbidden noms in his time hasn't he?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rightly or wrongly I am relaxed about my rabbits with these issues. They have eaten plastic previously and also lino from the floor. Not massive amounts obviously, but eaten them none the less. I have always just monitored them closely for about 24 hours. I have also never seen any evidence of the items in their litter tray. From your pic, it doesn't seem like an enormous amount and in your position I would just observe him.

I hope he will be OK.

That's actually made me feel a lot better, thank you. Looks like one of us will be staying here today [emoji849]

I think he will be ok graciee, Dennis has eaten a lot of plastic when he was in my mums care. I'm sure the vets with just tell you to keep an eye on him and I hope he will be alright. I'm sure he will he's eaten a whole menu of forbidden noms in his time hasn't he?

Yea Atticus sadly does seem to have a death wish when it comes to eating things he shouldn't [emoji849] that's reassuring to hear though :)

He's eaten plastic before but was smaller bits of a bag, whereas this is a strip and I didn't know if that'd be worse or not :(

I'd say try not to worry, I think Treacle has probably nibbled her body weight in forbidden stuff in all of her 6 years :roll:

I too would not be too worried. 1- He hasn't eaten much 2- The acidity of a Rabbits stomach will probably destroy the bit of label he has eaten.

Dara ate half a label from the side of a new litter tray a few days ago. Much more than Atticus has eaten and Dara is absolutely fine.

You know to monitor his output and just encourage a good intake of hay and water :)

Thankfully he did not choke on the plastic, and this is flexible plastic so it should be able to pass if it does not get destroyed in his digestion. My Heidi chewed the plastic on her litter box and I now purchase disposable litter boxes made from compressed paper. She gets sticks, willow balls, and other items that are intended to be chewed too.

Another one in the he’ll be fine camp. Pickle has chewed and judging by the lack of orange plastic lying about eaten 70% of the handle of the haribo Halloween tub. He’s still up to mischief, bouncing about. I was only thinking last night about them finding plastic in the stomach of sealife and wondering what percentage of rabbits have plastic in their stomach! Sending lots of no problem vibes x

Thanks everyone :) so far he's pooping fine and seems okay :D

My chinchillas have been terrible with eating plastic with no ill effects. Mr Bennett bunny ate carpet, wardrobes, skirting boards, laminate floor, any cord he could get his teeth into, the vacuum cleaner, mop, broom, dust pan and brush, litter tray but mainly chunks of carpet. I'm sure the carpet and wardrobe were really bad but it didn't harm him.

My chinchillas have been terrible with eating plastic with no ill effects. Mr Bennett bunny ate carpet, wardrobes, skirting boards, laminate floor, any cord he could get his teeth into, the vacuum cleaner, mop, broom, dust pan and brush, litter tray but mainly chunks of carpet. I'm sure the carpet and wardrobe were really bad but it didn't harm him.

Blimey! [emoji38][emoji38] Makes me feel a bit better though [emoji38]

So he's been quite unwell nothing is formed anymore... But tbh this is quite normal for him if he eats new things (normally actual food though [emoji849])

He seems okay in himself my boyfriend is working from home and hasn't seen any plastic in any of the poops, I read online that's it takes 4-6 hours for them to get rid of stuff? If that's true is the danger over now? Or is it a case of monitoring for 24 hours or so?

swallowed plastic label

dear graciee,-after inspecting the mouth and throat[choking hazards]-check the area for the missing label fragment,..-rabbits lack stomach muscles to throw up.therefore what goes in must go all the way through..-call a local exotic dvm[for info]-reglyn??--lots of grasses,water watch for 24 hours[minimum]-poops/cecotropes-all normal-??--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa:love::wave:

What's the plastic poop situation?

[emoji38] Well he's doing okay, been some pretty horrendous poops come out of him... And been watching so closely that his unformed ones (my old vet said he had mega colon) are actually I'm 100% now unformed cecotropes... Not sure if that changes anything but the cow splats he leaves around are just those... Google said its an not a diagnosis in itself but a symptom of something else... Idek.. Not sure anyone would get to the bottom of it anyway tbh. I may have to switch the velvets vet [emoji38] they're such a high maintenance pair [emoji38] but he's been his normal self all day.. Not seen anything in his output though that resembles plastic.

dear graciee,-after inspecting the mouth and throat[choking hazards]-check the area for the missing label fragment,..-rabbits lack stomach muscles to throw up.therefore what goes in must go all the way through..-call a local exotic dvm[for info]-reglyn??--lots of grasses,water watch for 24 hours[minimum]-poops/cecotropes-all normal-??--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa:love::wave:

Thanks :) yea he definitely ate it, didn't choke thankfully. His poops and cecotropes were worse than normal but they're normally bad anyway and he doesn't really have a normal output anyway so it's very hard to tell tbh with you.

I can't add anything to what has already been said - the advice is far greater than I could add to, but I am sending lads of vibes for Atticus and hope that his tummy deals with the plastic and his poops return to normal in a day or two. He is very lucky to have such a vigilant bunny mamma like you watching him - so he couldn't be in better or safer hands.

I can't add anything to what has already been said - the advice is far greater than I could add to, but I am sending lads of vibes for Atticus and hope that his tummy deals with the plastic and his poops return to normal in a day or two. He is very lucky to have such a vigilant bunny mamma like you watching him - so he couldn't be in better or safer hands.

Thanks Craig :)

Back