• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So much wee!

Lauren25

Young Bun
Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone can offer advice. My rabbit has seemed to start weeing a lot more over the past week or so, it has been slightly warmer so I don't know if that's the result of drinking more? Anyway, the litter tray is completely soaked by late afternoon and to stop him from getting wet, I need to change it 2 or 3 times a day. If I don't do that, all of his underneath is soaked and when he comes out of his cage (it's left open all day) he gets my floor soaking with wee! I can't afford to change his litter that often, I already do it once a day religiously but I use Carefresh and it costs me a small fortune. I fill up the tray with litter and then a big pile of hay for him to munch on. I know you can get the grid litter trays where they don't stand in the litter but I feel like he would hate that - he loves foraging for hay and actually lying in his litter tray, it's like his safe place.
I've came in this morning and out of nowhere he has wee'd all over his cage and there's splashes of wee about 5ft up my walls - I just don't know how that's happened and why all of a sudden he has started spraying. He's not fixed - I rehomed him and with him being older, I didn't want to put him through an operation when his behaviour is great - I've had him for two months now and this is the first time I'm experiencing this :(

Thank you, I'll have a look! I want to be able to clean out his litter tray as many times as necessary without thinking about the money that it's costing me! :p

Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone can offer advice. My rabbit has seemed to start weeing a lot more over the past week or so, it has been slightly warmer so I don't know if that's the result of drinking more? Anyway, the litter tray is completely soaked by late afternoon and to stop him from getting wet, I need to change it 2 or 3 times a day. If I don't do that, all of his underneath is soaked and when he comes out of his cage (it's left open all day) he gets my floor soaking with wee! I can't afford to change his litter that often, I already do it once a day religiously but I use Carefresh and it costs me a small fortune. I fill up the tray with litter and then a big pile of hay for him to munch on. I know you can get the grid litter trays where they don't stand in the litter but I feel like he would hate that - he loves foraging for hay and actually lying in his litter tray, it's like his safe place.
I've came in this morning and out of nowhere he has wee'd all over his cage and there's splashes of wee about 5ft up my walls - I just don't know how that's happened and why all of a sudden he has started spraying. He's not fixed - I rehomed him and with him being older, I didn't want to put him through an operation when his behaviour is great - I've had him for two months now and this is the first time I'm experiencing this :(

Hi Lauren :wave:

Is the water bowl going down faster - ie are you having to replace it with all this extra wee?
Or is he having more grass and wet veggies?

Hi Mighty Max! It's one of those self-fill water bowls so it's quite difficult to tell if it's going down any faster but I think it is! He's just having his usual couple of bits of carrot but I have added a bit of kale over the past 2 weeks. I know it's high in calcium so I've only been giving him a little bit every other day but could this increase the amount of wee, do you think? Because if so, I will happily discard of it - I'm sick of mopping my floors from wet little bunny paw prints! :)

He also now stinks of wee! :( And he never did before! I'm so particular with his cage and clean it everyday, with him being a house bun so I'm not sure what more I could do in terms of cleaning! Is there anything I can use to clean him (I know you shouldn't bath rabbits) or should I just allow him to gradually clean himself? He really stinks! :p

He also now stinks of wee! :( And he never did before! I'm so particular with his cage and clean it everyday, with him being a house bun so I'm not sure what more I could do in terms of cleaning! Is there anything I can use to clean him (I know you shouldn't bath rabbits) or should I just allow him to gradually clean himself? He really stinks! :p

No the kale wouldn't have made that problem, and it contains so little calcium versus the pellets that it's not worth worrying over.

However, I would be concerned at what you're describing and I'd get a sample of this wee (up into a syringe, as sterile as possible but doesn't have to be perfect) and get the vet to examine it ......

What do you think?

He'll be happy about that - kale is his new favourite treat! I'm back at the vet in just over a week, do you think I could wait until then? I can take him sooner if not, I just have all my final exams this week. I'll try to take a sample and will ask the vet to examine it. I wonder if it has anything to do with eye drops I'm giving him? Can steroids/antibiotics make them wee more? I've only just realised it's coincided with giving him them!

He'll be happy about that - kale is his new favourite treat! I'm back at the vet in just over a week, do you think I could wait until then? I can take him sooner if not, I just have all my final exams this week. I'll try to take a sample and will ask the vet to examine it. I wonder if it has anything to do with eye drops I'm giving him? Can steroids/antibiotics make them wee more? I've only just realised it's coincided with giving him them!

No I don't think the eye drops will have made a difference. How is the eye now by the way?

Can you drop a sample into the vet and ask them to analyse it before your visit? Then you'll possibly have something to go on with reference all the peeing. They could do a simple dipstick test first, and then if worried send it off for more detailed analysis :)

Great, I'll do that! :) Thank you. The eye is healing nicely, it's no longer read and anywhere near as crusty. The lump is still there but isn't as red and prominent as before so hopefully by the end of the two weeks it will all be healed :)

Great, I'll do that! :) Thank you. The eye is healing nicely, it's no longer read and anywhere near as crusty. The lump is still there but isn't as red and prominent as before so hopefully by the end of the two weeks it will all be healed :)

You're welcome :)

Glad to hear the eye is improving :thumb: You don't want too many issues going on whilst you're so busy yourself at the moment.

Good luck for your exams :wave:

Thank you! I know, problems always arise at the worst times don't they? :p I'll be glad to see the back of the exams and be able to spend my days with Thumper instead of books! :)

Back