• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

and then they were (hopefully ) three

Day 20, Vimto got really scared about the hoover, after I finished putting the hoover away I came back in the lounge to find her led out - in a very relaxed manner along the boys run. Sometime later when she was back in her house and the boys were out Cuthbert was reaching through the chicken wire pulling her fur out - she did not move away. Anyone any idea's what the fur pulling meant - they did not look overly aggressive, ears forward, tails down and relaxed. :?

IMG-20180210-WA0004[1] by mark andra, on Flickr

Last edited:
Day 21.

Vimto has been with us three weeks and is four weeks post spay. Today has been a very big day for her. Her run has been moved inside the boys run. This means a drastic reduction of space for the boys but is means that she is within their space. One side of the shared run is covered by a towel and the other side is just chicken wire. The boys have been bobbing in and out of their run and have had no reaction to her being there. She is trying to lie next to them when they are sleeping. Their litter trays are now next to one another and so are their pellet bowls. Fingers crossed all goes well and we can remove the towel from between them.

Day 21.

Vimto has been with us three weeks and is four weeks post spay. Today has been a very big day for her. Her run has been moved inside the boys run. This means a drastic reduction of space for the boys but is means that she is within their space. One side of the shared run is covered by a towel and the other side is just chicken wire. The boys have been bobbing in and out of their run and have had no reaction to her being there. She is trying to lie next to them when they are sleeping. Their litter trays are now next to one another and so are their pellet bowls. Fingers crossed all goes well and we can remove the towel from between them.

I'm watching your thread with interest & eagely awaiting your threes union. No wisdom to impart as our bonding techniques are very different. I'm struggling to visualise day 21 set up - is there wire between them?

Day 21.

I'm watching too, and hoping all goes well for you all :)

When Mark built Vimtos run it was small enough to take put inside the boys run. If you can imagine the original square set up, Vimto now has a corner of it with the boys now in an L shape around two sides of her. Imagine a square within a square.
Two sides of vimots run are against the outside of the boys run and two sides inside, ie just one layer of chicken wire between them. I have draped a towel over one of the two internal sides but Vimto can peep underneath.
All bunny litter trays are in a line albeit with a layer of chicken wire between, and so are the food bowls. I will upload photos later.

We had banging and crashing shenanigans last night with Vimto zooming round her run, up onto the top of her log, round the back of the draped towel and plop into her bed. The boys were a little confused at first but then settled down to ignore her. Worryingly Dillon does not want to get out of bed this morning (most unusual) but there are no sign of injury, no lumps of fur anywhere and beyond belief let me pick him up to check him. He then fought me to put him down and has gone back to bed - very odd.

Day 22 - very worried.

There is something wrong with my rabbits, particularly Dillon. They are all led down together, all sleepy but Dillon only had a tiny bit of kale - his absolute favourite. In fact they have all left some - this has never happened before. They are led with just one layer of chicken wire between them but there is no fuss, no interaction, no nothing. Usually in a morning they are all over the place. I am really worried this is not like them at all. Dillons ears feel a little cold too. Very worried.

Oh what a worry rabbits are :(

I can only suggest that maybe the boys were a bit overwhelmed by Vimto's antics last night and so are a bit stressed. It doesn't sound the sort of thing which would normally trouble your boys, who to me seem quite self-assured, but I can't think of anything else :?

If it continues, I think I would put things back to the way they were (if it's simple to do that) and maybe try again in a few days time. I hope that they start to behave normally soon.

Has Dillon eaten anything at all this morning other than the little bit of kale? What's their output like? How about general demeanour? Are they hunched up at all or tooth grinding?

Personally if my buns are off food and generally appear off colour I get them examined by the vet the same day. Any potential gut issues need to be treated sooner rather than later before it develops into full blown gut stasis.

It may also be that the new set up has unsettled them. Might be worth changing things back the way they were to see if that improves things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh what a worry rabbits are :(

I can only suggest that maybe the boys were a bit overwhelmed by Vimto's antics last night and so are a bit stressed. It doesn't sound the sort of thing which would normally trouble your boys, who to me seem quite self-assured, but I can't think of anything else :?

If it continues, I think I would put things back to the way they were (if it's simple to do that) and maybe try again in a few days time. I hope that they start to behave normally soon.

Thank you Omi - yes it would be simple to put them back as they were. I shall keep my eye on them. However just look at the photo of how close they are all led with each other, Dillon and Cuthbert are spooning with Vimto across them (behind the wire) You sort of need to look carefully Vimto is across their bottoms, the white lump!

20180212_103109[1] by mark andra, on Flickr

Has Dillon eaten anything at all this morning other than the little bit of kale? What's their output like? How about general demeanour? Are they hunched up at all or tooth grinding?

Personally if my buns are off food and generally appear off colour I get them examined by the vet the same day. Any potential gut issues need to be treated sooner rather than later before it develops into full blown gut stasis.

It may also be that the new set up has unsettled them. Might be worth changing things back the way they were to see if that improves things?

Output normal, ears and noses reactionary, they just seem sleepy. Water and pellets are reduced but I cant tell with the hay as I pile masses into the 3 feeders for them. Thank you for your reply, if no improvement I will be returning the runs as to yesterdays arrangement.

Day 22 - very worried.

There is something wrong with my rabbits, particularly Dillon. They are all led down together, all sleepy but Dillon only had a tiny bit of kale - his absolute favourite. In fact they have all left some - this has never happened before. They are led with just one layer of chicken wire between them but there is no fuss, no interaction, no nothing. Usually in a morning they are all over the place. I am really worried this is not like them at all. Dillons ears feel a little cold too. Very worried.

Really sorry to hear this :(

How are things now?

They just seem really "afternoony" they have nearly finished the kale, the water bowl and bottle are reduced, someone has been in the litter trays, they are just that lazy afternoon snoozy way. I am really confused, I know its now late morning and they do not usually mooch about much but I almost feel like they are tired- they boys were flat out asleep when I checked a minute or two ago and Vimto is alert just led down with them.

Dillon and Vimto are led out full stretch with their legs behind them, Vimto on her side, Cuthbert has his back legs tucked underneath but his head against Dillons tummy in their usual sleeping manner.

I wonder if they were over excited by the new arrangement and ran riot a bit last night and it's caught up with them, hence why they're so sleepy this morning?

I wonder if they were over excited by the new arrangement and ran riot a bit last night and it's caught up with them, hence why they're so sleepy this morning?

I cant help thinking the same - trouble is that I am going to do a 2-10pm shift now, the dog walker has promised to send me updates and my daughter is on standby if I need them at the vets. I have just been down to look at them again - they have all moved position, again the litter tray is used (all poo's look normal). Ears are rotating to me as I move about and speak but they are all snuggled down. I have checked them all for wounds and nothing. OH will put the runs back as was at 7pm if there is no change. :(

I hope your babies are back to normal soon. Its always a worry when any behaviour is unusual. Encouraging that their output is ok but I'd keep a super vigilant eye on this (ok asking your dog walker to examine poo size is a big ask but worth it). I remember last year when Joey & Boo (but not Mouse weirdly enough) got sick last year. They didn't appear in pain, but were really lethargic. Showed some interest in food but would only have a nibble, wouldn't drink - it took a week before they were anywhere like their usual selves. Tiny poo though.

A long shot - is there anything on the wood of Vimto's run that the boys could have chewed?

Are they continentals May I ask? I just have posted a thread in these as I’m looking to adopt! Sorry to bother you if they aren’t but they are just beautiful anuway!! :)

Thank you all for your comments, last night Dillon and Vimto seemed lethargic, small amounts of pellets eaten and water. This morning Cuthbert and Vimto are back to there normal selves, Dillon is eating and pottling about but seems really static - I have changed their blankets in the run.

Joey&boo size of poo - yes they are a little smaller than usual, and the run of Vimto's run is the same material as the boys run.

I have found the kindle basket has been chewed, its a wicker type basket from sainsburys - now removed out of reach, they have never chewed it before and maybe I am just guessing but better to remove it at this stage.

Back