• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Who is still foraging. I had a lovely beckside walk today, kicking through the leaves. It smelt of autumn.

Found loads of new growth hogweed, geranium & the usual dandelion, plantain. Trees are pretty much bare now. Got ambushed as soon as I got home, they have fine noses my bunnies

Still getting loads from my garden - especially nasturtium, plantain, rosemary, buddleia, rowan, rose leaves, blackcurrant leaves, strawberry leaves, lemon balm, mint, pear and apple leaves.

I top up with cow parsley, dead nettle, plantain and geraniums from wild (I am not letting the buns have my geraniums just yet :lol:)..

Still getting loads from my garden - especially nasturtium, plantain, rosemary, buddleia, rowan, rose leaves, blackcurrant leaves, strawberry leaves, lemon balm, mint, pear and apple leaves.

I top up with cow parsley, dead nettle, plantain and geraniums from wild (I am not letting the buns have my geraniums just yet :lol:)..

that's a right good garden feed. You have lucky buns

I so wish I had cow parsley confidence

Someone I know said cow parsley was poisonous to humans, but that can't be so?

I have tried it when I want to be sure it's CP and not hemlock and I am still here? (although having had threats, I guess that's not a popular sentiment with everyone!)

Foraging in November - brrrrrrr! Glad I did though. Didn't get loads but a a few dandelions, brambles, hogweed & apple branch are very much appreciated

Foraging in November - brrrrrrr! Glad I did though. Didn't get loads but a a few dandelions, brambles, hogweed & apple branch are very much appreciated

Yes I went foraging too! Brambles, dead nettle, rowan, cow parsley, plantain and dandies.

My it was cold :shock:

Must be one of the very rare occasions when coming back into my (unheated) house felt positively balmy :lol:

Well done both of you :thumb: It was horribly cold and windy here yesterday, so Tethra had to make do with a large pile of Apple leaves. I hardly went out :oops: He has also got a large Ash branch to strip

I can still find Cow Parsley, Hogweed, Smooth Sow Thistle, Ground Elder, Red Deadnettle, Dandelions and Plantain, although they are mostly all looking a bit sickly. From the garden he still has Geranium, Apple, Alder and Rose leaves (even had some Rose petals yesterday) plus some Parsley, Dill and Coriander.

This show the north / south thing quite well - our Rowan died ages ago & no apple / pear trees have any leaves. I can still raid the wild geranium I reckon if I can be bothered to walk there

Aww, Tethra eating rose petals :love:

Buns are now eating anything remotely green :lol: Aboleth's back at the box, both attacked the peony (we've now moved the pen sides so they couldn't reach them :roll:) and they both were tentaviely eating the tayberry which they usually avoid, and currant leaves have been going down well too :twisted:

I think the foraging season is almost officially ended in Tethra's part of the world. There's the odd fragile Cow Parsley stem, a small amount of Hogweed and some Common Mallow and that's it, apart from Bramble leaves of course. He also had the very last Apple leaf yesterday. I don't think he realised the significance of this, when I told him :lol:

Also not foraging, but I was extremely joyful to find some Methi in my local Asda :D I carefully picked the freshest looking bunch and hurried home to my boy with it. And d'ya know what.....he refused it :shock:

I think the foraging season is almost officially ended in Tethra's part of the world. There's the odd fragile Cow Parsley stem, a small amount of Hogweed and some Common Mallow and that's it, apart from Bramble leaves of course. He also had the very last Apple leaf yesterday. I don't think he realised the significance of this, when I told him :lol:

Also not foraging, but I was extremely joyful to find some Methi in my local Asda :D I carefully picked the freshest looking bunch and hurried home to my boy with it. And d'ya know what.....he refused it :shock:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? He needs a woman in his life to tell him what to do, think & like :lol: My bunnies have never had fresh - didn't think to check the place where I work but I will now

[/B]

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? He needs a woman in his life to tell him what to do, think & like :lol: My bunnies have never had fresh - didn't think to check the place where I work but I will now

I was really shocked, because I know he likes the flavour of fenugreek. I'm now wondering if this refusal is going to be the reaction to anything new, that hasn't previously been approved by Yan and Tan :? Thank goodness the range of family approved foods was vast.

Yes, I agree, however a new woman in his life might also be incredibly picky :lol: I'll have to add it to my list of criteria for new rabbit(s), that they must have eclectic tastes in food :lol:

Loads of cow parsley (seems fresh springing?) here, and dead nettle. Also young cleavers and rose leaves aplenty. I am also trimming my geraniums now, as they are almost finished flowering, and the nasturtiums are probably coming to the end of their useful life.

Interesting re the methi ... Mine will not touch anything with fenugreek powder in, but will scoff up methi :lol:

We've a big mallow bush (it was so diddy 2yrs ago!) we're trimming down. The rabbits have got to the stage where no stick is safe: brambles are chewed to small pieces of white, mallow disappears and everything up to a full centimetre across of willow also goes. In summer, they might have chew of a bramble stick but there's usually a substantial amount left. Now, they know there's not much else about! Even the grass was relatively untouched when we had them out on Saturday!

Well feeling guilty about the small miserable looking Bramble leaves left around the garden hedges, I walked up to the woods and collected a very large bag of giant Bramble leaves, all still completely green. Tethra eats them, but he's clearly unhappy with the selection of foods served to him. I've still got some large pots of Thyme, Parsley and Coriander (yes, they've survived the snow) and so he gets a small quantity of those leaves mixed in with the Bramble leaves . Sometimes he also gets some Rose leaves. He very carefully sniffs around the Bramble until he's consumed all the more tasty leaves, before relenting and starting on the Bramble. I've noticed it doesn't all get eaten in one go though and he makes them last quite a while :) There is a small quantity of Cleavers growing around the property, but he doesn't like those.

I've still a little dried forage but getting nothing fresh. Mine are decidedly non plussed about brambles too - dried are even less favourable than fresh

Well feeling guilty about the small miserable looking Bramble leaves left around the garden hedges, I walked up to the woods and collected a very large bag of giant Bramble leaves, all still completely green. Tethra eats them, but he's clearly unhappy with the selection of foods served to him. I've still got some large pots of Thyme, Parsley and Coriander (yes, they've survived the snow) and so he gets a small quantity of those leaves mixed in with the Bramble leaves . Sometimes he also gets some Rose leaves. He very carefully sniffs around the Bramble until he's consumed all the more tasty leaves, before relenting and starting on the Bramble. I've noticed it doesn't all get eaten in one go though and he makes them last quite a while :) There is a small quantity of Cleavers growing around the property, but he doesn't like those.

One of my rabbits is on multiple meds daily and always gets a treat - one pellet :lol: In order to calm the others down so there's not a pellet riot, I went and gathered some rose and bramble leaves. I give them a small handful and it's like manna from heaven - do I have the only buns who regard thorny forage as a big treat? :lol:

I have lots of cow parsley growing around the place, and some dead nettle. Nasturtiums are coming to an end, but plenty of rose leaves.

I'm sure there's some mallow, but I haven't got round to identifying it yet!

Are you meant to cut the thorny bits off of bramble leaves before giving them to rabbits? Or will they just eat around them?

Are you meant to cut the thorny bits off of bramble leaves before giving them to rabbits? Or will they just eat around them?

They will eat the thorns, and also even hawthorn, roses etc ...

Strange, as they get mouth ulcers from dental spurs, but manage all this kind of stuff without a problem :)

Back