• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Has anyone fed this before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamine_hirsuta? We have loads of it every year and I've never been able to find it in the usual places to check it's safe. However, it's a Brassica, so it should be OK I think. If anyone knows anything bad about it, please let me know, but Tethra had some today and got very excited about it (head-binkying around in circles :D).

Has anyone fed this before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamine_hirsuta? We have loads of it every year and I've never been able to find it in the usual places to check it's safe. However, it's a Brassica, so it should be OK I think. If anyone knows anything bad about it, please let me know, but Tethra had some today and got very excited about it (head-binkying around in circles :D).

difficult one to Google - took me to RU archives & pinterest. I'd risk it personally & since Tethra approves already.

I'm wondering how much this weather will delay foraging - I was just starting this time last year. Definite downside of snow! Can't even order Oaty hay as timothyhay.co.uk (understandably) are not taking orders til their couriers can get to them reliably.

difficult one to Google - took me to RU archives & pinterest. I'd risk it personally & since Tethra approves already.

I'm wondering how much this weather will delay foraging - I was just starting this time last year. Definite downside of snow! Can't even order Oaty hay as timothyhay.co.uk (understandably) are not taking orders til their couriers can get to them reliably.

Tethra wishes it to be known, in case any of his RU rabbity friends are reading this thread, that whilst he did get excited when this plant was first offered, it was ONLY because he gets so little food these days, which is fresh and green. He will certainly eat this plant if nothing else is offered, but really much prefers Red Dead Nettle, Bramble leaves and Cow Parsley.

I don't think the snow will matter much as far as the start of foraging is concerned, but continued low temperatures might. The temperature is now above freezing here and so the snow is gradually melting. The Parsley, Coriander, Thyme and Mint growing in pots on the patio were covered with a thick layer of snow. This morning the leaves can be seen poking through and they seem completely unaffected. I think it will depend on how quickly the temperatures return to something reasonable in your area. Looking at the forecast for the next 10 days here it appears that we will have above freezing temperatures day and night. I think everything will quickly catch up.

I’ve been thinking the same - I was definitely picking little bits of some young plants this time last year. This winter is dragging on horribly. My lot are getting fed up of shop bought spring greens, cabbage and shop herbs I think. I’m out of everything I grow myself and there’s nothing nearby to pick at all.

I’ve checked Alys Fowler’s Thrifty Forager and, though there’s obviously no info on it’s suitability for rabbits, she eats it all this time apparently - specially now while there’s not a lot else around. I would suspect wild rabbits might do the same?!

I've just been out snow foraging - not exactly hugely successful. Whereas Boo is eating hay I can't tell how much & some poo is looking smaller than I'd like. She is appreciating what I hope is hawthorn & apple twigs & soggy brambles. Snow is still covering everywhere

Sorry I never saw this when you originally posted it.

I'm pretty sure Twigs mentioned it at the Open Day I went to ... She would know the answer I guess? :)

I’ve been thinking the same - I was definitely picking little bits of some young plants this time last year. This winter is dragging on horribly. My lot are getting fed up of shop bought spring greens, cabbage and shop herbs I think. I’m out of everything I grow myself and there’s nothing nearby to pick at all.

I’ve checked Alys Fowler’s Thrifty Forager and, though there’s obviously no info on it’s suitability for rabbits, she eats it all this time apparently - specially now while there’s not a lot else around. I would suspect wild rabbits might do the same?!

Looks to be an interesting book :) I remember you're a fan of hers. I like that she's a bit different to other gardening presenters/writers.

I've just been out snow foraging - not exactly hugely successful. Whereas Boo is eating hay I can't tell how much & some poo is looking smaller than I'd like. She is appreciating what I hope is hawthorn & apple twigs & soggy brambles. Snow is still covering everywhere

I think the snow will provide insulation against the cold, so not all bad. Are these wild Apple twigs, or scrumped Apple twigs?:lol:

Sorry I never saw this when you originally posted it.

I'm pretty sure Twigs mentioned it at the Open Day I went to ... She would know the answer I guess? :)

Yeah, I'm pretty happy it's OK for rabbits now. It's certainly a Brassica and smells like a Mustard. I guess it tastes quite peppery, which is possibly why Tethra is not mad on it (he dislikes Rocket). We've certainly got loads of it and it hasn't been affected by the cold.

Looks to be an interesting book :) I remember you're a fan of hers. I like that she's a bit different to other gardening presenters/writers.

It is a lovely book - inspiring photography and a lot of useful information. Alys is fab (the gardener and my bunny who is named after her :lol: ).

Yeah, I'm pretty happy it's OK for rabbits now. It's certainly a Brassica and smells like a Mustard. I guess it tastes quite peppery, which is possibly why Tethra is not mad on it (he dislikes Rocket). We've certainly got loads of it and it hasn't been affected by the cold.

I’ll have to have a look for some once our snow’s melted, its stubbornly hanging on here, we are fairly high up and rural.

I was getting loads of forage this time last year, the cold weather must have set us back :( oop North at least . My poor deprived bunnies

teeny weeny plantain & dandelions, just leafing hawthorn (only specific set of trees a good distance away). brambles are still old ones :( that is all

All plants, garden and in the hedgerow, are later this year due to the weather.

We've lost most of last year's Brambles. New growth mainly just on Cow Parsley and Red Dead-nettle, which is what my rabbits are having. Plantain hasn't been seen yet. Dandelions are really too small to pick. Hawthorn is budding, but it's variable depending on the tree.

All plants, garden and in the hedgerow, are later this year due to the weather.

We've lost most of last year's Brambles. New growth mainly just on Cow Parsley and Red Dead-nettle, which is what my rabbits are having. Plantain hasn't been seen yet. Dandelions are really too small to pick. Hawthorn is budding, but it's variable depending on the tree.

I haven't botherred looking for hawthorn yet but getting *loads* of cow parsley, red dead nettle and white dead nettle, teeny plantains, lush dandies and loads of chickweed.

I've got hogweed, cow parsley, small sticky willy, dandelions, small willowherb and small herb robert. I've ordered a dehydrator and I can't wait for it to come. I'm going to start early this year because I ran out too soon.

I've got hogweed, cow parsley, small sticky willy, dandelions, small willowherb and small herb robert. I've ordered a dehydrator and I can't wait for it to come. I'm going to start early this year because I ran out too soon.

Welcome back to your thread :D

Yes I forgot to mention I got cleavers (sticky willy) and borage as well - lots of those. And herb robert is taking over my garden currently!

What kind of dehydrator are you getting? :wave:

What's happened, the countryside's gone bonkers :D After the couple of days of sunshine and warmth, everything has grown massively. The Dandelions are in flower, loads of Red Dead-nettle, Chickweed all over the place, larger leaves on the Cow Parsley and lots of new Hogweed. Interesting too, now that Tui eats Cleavers, Tethra does too. Previously he left them, as did his parents :D

Back