• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separation anxiety

I've been thinking, now things are starting to get a bit more normal, it's likely my partner and I are going to be required to return to our respective offices for at least part of the time. We've been working from home since we got our buns past year.

Our bunnies are fully bonded with each other and don't really rely on us for anything more than food, water and cleaning which we will obviously still be able to provide with a slight change of schedule.

I do think they like us being around though or at least used to us being around all day (they have seemed a bit confused when I go out for longer than an hour or so, even though my partner is still with them).

They're completely free roam and we have never left them alone for longer than a couple of hours. I do feel that us returning to the offices, even if it's just for 1 or 2 days a week might upset them a little.

We've discussed it and are hoping we can arrange things so at least one of us will be home with them each day. However there may be days where we both need to go to the office or we might fancy a day out somewhere, if the weather ever gets better!

I might just be being overly worried and will probably end up having more separation anxiety than the buns! Has anyone else had to start leaving their buns for work or have any advice? Or am I just being silly 😂

In all honesty, yes, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. sophie sausage & joey beans will be fine i reckon. it'll mainly be snoozy time & they have each other .

I did refuse to get work early - mid 2020 though - had a bun in renal failure that needed lots of care. I'm a wee bit anxious about leaving my old & disabled solo bun to find work now - short shifts & keeping travel to minimum is my main search criteria :lol:

Of I have this anxiety. I worry when I go out for a few hours and leave Cookie alone at home. I'm thinking the same thing, I wonder if this confuses Cookie? Do the rabbits think we abandoned them? :roll:

I've been thinking, now things are starting to get a bit more normal, it's likely my partner and I are going to be required to return to our respective offices for at least part of the time. We've been working from home since we got our buns past year.

Our bunnies are fully bonded with each other and don't really rely on us for anything more than food, water and cleaning which we will obviously still be able to provide with a slight change of schedule.

I do think they like us being around though or at least used to us being around all day (they have seemed a bit confused when I go out for longer than an hour or so, even though my partner is still with them).

They're completely free roam and we have never left them alone for longer than a couple of hours. I do feel that us returning to the offices, even if it's just for 1 or 2 days a week might upset them a little.

We've discussed it and are hoping we can arrange things so at least one of us will be home with them each day. However there may be days where we both need to go to the office or we might fancy a day out somewhere, if the weather ever gets better!

I might just be being overly worried and will probably end up having more separation anxiety than the buns! Has anyone else had to start leaving their buns for work or have any advice? Or am I just being silly 😂

They are a bonded pair. They rely on each other for all the company they need. Bonded pairs/ groups of Rabbits do not need human company .As long as their feeding regime remains the same I am afraid they won’t care if you are there all the time or not !!

They are a bonded pair. They rely on each other for all the company they need. Bonded pairs/ groups of Rabbits do not need human company .As long as their feeding regime remains the same I am afraid they won’t care if you are there all the time or not !!

Absolutely this! If you are worried and want to check on them anytime you could get an IP camera, they are great for peace of mind imo. I’m sure they will be fine though, and won’t miss you at all!

Lone Rabbits do get lonely. That is why it is advised that Pet Rabbits are always housed in pairs or groups.

I know :D I learned a lot on this forum. :lol: What I'm wondering is, normally Cookie is with us but does she get upset when we go somewhere? Does he think we abandoned him?

I'm pretty sure my two would be more than happy if I got replaced by a robotic food dispenser!

I'm pretty sure my two would be more than happy if I got replaced by a robotic food dispenser!

my pair too :lol: My boy would be so much happier if he didn't have to listen to my rendition of Jolene (sing Joey obv) every afternoon in exchange for a few leaves

My old & solo Mousey though - her little face lights up when Bob when comes home & her head bobs about until he has lay on the floor to give her kisses & strokes. So sad

I know :D I learned a lot on this forum. :lol: What I'm wondering is, normally Cookie is with us but does she get upset when we go somewhere? Does he think we abandoned him?

He won’t have the thought process of being abandoned but he might feel anxious.

He won’t have the thought process of being abandoned but he might feel anxious.

Oh ok I understand. Rabbits don't have a fear of abandonment? For example, would Cookie miss me if I had to leave the petsitter for a few days? I always wonder about this.

Thanks all! In a way it's good to know they won't miss me and will have eachother. I hate thinking of all the lonely dogs that will be confused now owners are going back to work for 8hrs a day!

In this case it's more likely going to be me suffering with the separation anxiety 😂😂😂

Thanks all! In a way it's good to know they won't miss me and will have eachother. I hate thinking of all the lonely dogs that will be confused now owners are going back to work for 8hrs a day!

In this case it's more likely going to be me suffering with the separation anxiety ������

Yep - you're not alone though:lol:

my pair too :lol: My boy would be so much happier if he didn't have to listen to my rendition of Jolene (sing Joey obv) every afternoon in exchange for a few leaves

My old & solo Mousey though - her little face lights up when Bob when comes home & her head bobs about until he has lay on the floor to give her kisses & strokes. So sad

Oh yes, mine have to endure the singing as well. Currently it's the Chas and Dave special "Snoopy, Poopy nuts are we. We are Snoopy, loopy!". Plus a variation on Spider Pig: "Fudgie Cake, Fudgie Cake! Does whatever a Fudgie Cake does!".

In this case it's more likely going to be me suffering with the separation anxiety 😂😂😂

You sound just like me! We work from home anyway but the bunnies we have now we got not long before lockdown. So we've hardly been out and about. When we first went out for the whole day, one of my bunnies, Hazel, was acting a bit weird when we got back, she's quite a nervy bunny and doesn't like change. I wondered if she thought we had been eaten! She has a very close bond with me, she's always licking me. She also has a strong bond with Shadow, I think she would pick him over me but it's close. Shadow has a good bond with us too but he doesn't care who it is as long as he's getting some attention! Anyway, we've been out and about more and she's getting used to it now. We were out the other day and I joked about having seperation anxiety myself now, I really missed them and wanted to be at home. My advice would be to both go out for just a few hours at first if you are still worried and then extend the time. As others have said, they have each other and there is no reason you can't leave them other than your own anxiety :)

Back