• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bereavement

Hello everyone. Just after some advice. A week ago I lost one of my rabbits, he was an amazing little friend and my grief has been beyond words. Unfortunately, I was not able to bring him home as he passed at the vets so my other rabbit didn’t get to say goodbye. She seems to have adapted, she’s been eating, pooping and more recently even playing and binkying. We’ve given her a rabbit teddy that she grooms and sleeps with and a new fleecy blanket that she sits on in the living room with us during the day/night. I’ve been giving her extra cuddles although she’s never really been one for being held for long but I do it anyway and tell her how loved she is. Does anyone have experience of a similar situation? I just wondered if what I’m doing is right. She is 8 and a half and they where together with us for 7 years.

I’m so sorry for your loss :cry: I think you are doing the right things for her, in time maybe you could adopt a new friend for her, a rescue may help with the bonding.

Thank you. I’ve got to be honest, I have been in so much pain and heartbreak since losing him, have only just managed to stop crying every five minutes! I just want to do the best for her now, I feel so much guilt especially that I didn’t bring him home for her but over the last couple of weeks she saw him come and go to the vets alone which is something that they’d normally do together. Being clever things I think she knew he wasn’t well.

I am so sorry to read of your loss. We have all experienced the loss of our beloved rabbits and it is because you care and love deeply for your rabbits that you feel the way you do. Rabbits do pick up on things that we humans sometimes can’t see or tell so your bunny will have known.
I’m my opinion you are doing all the right things - most importantly by giving extra dedicated time to your bunny who will also be grieving in her own way. Sometimes it’s unfortunate when our rabbits pass away from their bonded companions but you are helping her cope and making sure she is eating and passing poops. Those are very important observations.
We can often overlook our own feelings and we all take our own path to deal with it so there is no right and wrong. The price we pay as carers for these dear little companions is that they take a piece of our heart with them.
The forum is a place where we can share what we feel and if it helps you then please feel free to post.
Binkey free dear sweet little bunny. Xx

I'm so sorry you lost your dear bunny friend. I just wanted to comment on the guilt you feel by not bringing his body home & letting your girl "see" he had passed. It is my belief bunnies definitely know more than we give them credit for & will know when their bonded friend is ill. I've had to say goodbye to several rabbits over the years & the bereaved bunny who coped terribly was the one i brought the body home to see. in January i lost Joey & when we took him to be PTS we made the decision to leave Boo at home & nor did we bring his body back. They had been together for almost 8 years. She honestly coped fine & only started looking sad & lonely 6-8 weeks or so later.

Thank you so much, these are the only rabbits we’ve ever had and I’ve always treated them like my babies to be honest. My sweet boy has left a massive hole in my heart but I am trying my best to not show my upset around his little friend.

I'm so sorry you lost your dear bunny friend. I just wanted to comment on the guilt you feel by not bringing his body home & letting your girl "see" he had passed. It is my belief bunnies definitely know more than we give them credit for & will know when their bonded friend is ill. I've had to say goodbye to several rabbits over the years & the bereaved bunny who coped terribly was the one i brought the body home to see. in January i lost Joey & when we took him to be PTS we made the decision to leave Boo at home & nor did we bring his body back. They had been together for almost 8 years. She honestly coped fine & only started looking sad & lonely 6-8 weeks or so later.

Yes, I think that all herd animals are hard-wired to pick up on illness in others, however well they try to hide it.

Hello everyone. Just after some advice. A week ago I lost one of my rabbits, he was an amazing little friend and my grief has been beyond words. Unfortunately, I was not able to bring him home as he passed at the vets so my other rabbit didn’t get to say goodbye. She seems to have adapted, she’s been eating, pooping and more recently even playing and binkying. We’ve given her a rabbit teddy that she grooms and sleeps with and a new fleecy blanket that she sits on in the living room with us during the day/night. I’ve been giving her extra cuddles although she’s never really been one for being held for long but I do it anyway and tell her how loved she is. Does anyone have experience of a similar situation? I just wondered if what I’m doing is right. She is 8 and a half and they where together with us for 7 years.

So sorry to hear this. :( Got to just take it one day at a time for yourself, I think.

Sometimes I think that we'd be better off trying to provide as much normality for our bereaved pets as possible, rather than trying to do something special for them. eg. as much of the old routine as possible.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that you lost your beloved boy, as others have said, you seem to be doing all the right things for your girl. Binky free little bunny xx

Thank you all for your kind words. I have an incredible feeling of guilt that I could have and should have done more. I know I’m punishing myself and I know he knew how loved he was, he always came to me for treats and cuddles. He was a happy bunny and had a good life I just feel so bad. He will always hold a special place in my heart. Did anyone else have this guilty feeling that you should have done more for them?

Absolutely. If it's any comfort at all, I think those guilty feelings do fade with time and turn more into a missing the pet rather than feeling bad about yourself.

Back