• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Continental Giant - hind leg amputation?

elizabethH

Warren Scout
Rupert, our Continental Giant, has had sore hocks since we got him from a rescue 18 months ago. One foot has always been worse than the other and for the first year he had daily dressing changes and bandages. More recently his foot improved and while we checked it every day and he has stayed inside on soft vet beds etc things were looking up. However, 8 weeks ago his hock suddenly looked swollen and he limped. The x-ray showed a likely abscess and so it proved with some damage to the bones and ligaments. Following surgery and cultiure and sensitivity tests he has been on aggressive courses of antibiotics as well as pain medication , all under the guidance of Iain Cope. A couple of weeks ago after the abscesses returned for the third time Iain sewed antibiotic balls into the hock area but again the absesses have returned and an x ray yesterday showed further damage to the joint.

There are now 2 options:
Amputation of the. affected back leg
PTS

We just don't know what to do in Rupert's best interests. Fortunately cost is not an issue for us. If he was a smaller lighter Rabbit amputation would maybe be OK and he would adapt but he is 6kg. - about right for his size. We are concerned about the extra strain on his other back leg and also his spine and do not want sort one problem but create another.

Has anyone any thoughts or experience of hind leg ampiutation in Giants?

Thanks

Rupert, our Continental Giant, has had sore hocks since we got him from a rescue 18 months ago. One foot has always been worse than the other and for the first year he had daily dressing changes and bandages. More recently his foot improved and while we checked it every day and he has stayed inside on soft vet beds etc things were looking up. However, 8 weeks ago his hock suddenly looked swollen and he limped. The x-ray showed a likely abscess and so it proved with some damage to the bones and ligaments. Following surgery and cultiure and sensitivity tests he has been on aggressive courses of antibiotics as well as pain medication , all under the guidance of Iain Cope. A couple of weeks ago after the abscesses returned for the third time Iain sewed antibiotic balls into the hock area but again the absesses have returned and an x ray yesterday showed further damage to the joint.

There are now 2 options:
PTS

We just don't know what to do in Rupert's best interests. Fortunately cost is not an issue for us. If he was a smaller lighter Rabbit amputation would maybe be OK and he would adapt but he is 6kg. - about right for his size. We are concerned about the extra strain on his other back leg and also his spine and do not want sort one problem but create another.

Thanks

Mega hugs elizabeth. What a situation to be in :(

However, I found this for you:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-5/kenney.html

There are now 2 options:
PTS

Thanks

Poor Rupert :cry:

I dont think his size is the only issue regarding hind limb amputation. Other factors to consider are :

1 The primary cause of his sore hocks- ie has he had full body radiographs to see if he has any spinal/hip problems that could account for sore hocks developing. For me I would have to know that he was not suffering from spinal/hip problems before considering a hind limb amputation

2- Is the other hock showing even minimal signs of soreness ? If so this would be another factor that might make being a 'Tripod' Rabbit something I would not want for a Rabbit in my care.

3- What is Rupert's demeanour like ? Is he a bold,outgoing Rabbit ? A laid back 'anything goes' type or is he a 'Rabbit like' Rabbit- not keen on hands on care etc....etc.

Rupert is obviously under the care of an excellent Vet and I am sure that with his guidance and expertise you will come to the right decision for Rupert.

I’m sorry, I have no advice but I can understand your dilemma. Sending best wishes. :(

Poor Rupert :cry:

I dont think his size is the only issue regarding hind limb amputation. Other factors to consider are :

1 The primary cause of his sore hocks- ie has he had full body radiographs to see if he has any spinal/hip problems that could account for sore hocks developing. For me I would have to know that he was not suffering from spinal/hip problems before considering a hind limb amputation

2- Is the other hock showing even minimal signs of soreness ? If so this would be another factor that might make being a 'Tripod' Rabbit something I would not want for a Rabbit in my care.

3- What is Rupert's demeanour like ? Is he a bold,outgoing Rabbit ? A laid back 'anything goes' type or is he a 'Rabbit like' Rabbit- not keen on hands on care etc....etc.

Rupert is obviously under the care of an excellent Vet and I am sure that with his guidance and expertise you will come to the right decision for Rupert.

Thank you Jane

Rup has not had full body xrays but Iain's opinion has been that he does not have underlying hip or spine problems and he hops straight and true. That said his better leg does not have a lot of muscle as he has never moved around that much though he is very good at sitting still then leaping in the air supposedly from all fours. He has had acupuncture and cold laser therapy on his spine and both legs.

Our concern is that his good hock does have a bit of a problem though it's OK at the moment but might well regress if it's put under much pressure.

When we first had Rup he was very timid and hated being handled. However with all his bandaging and daily ministering he has become very laid back and seems to like people company. When I sit on the floor he will come over and drape himself over my legs and go to sleep. Sadly he is not bonded. We have tried with 2 spayed girls but he wants to dominate and we have not been prepared to let him injure himself.

Thank you Jane

Rup has not had full body xrays but Iain's opinion has been that he does not have underlying hip or spine problems and he hops straight and true. That said his better leg does not have a lot of muscle as he has never moved around that much though he is very good at sitting still then leaping in the air supposedly from all fours. He has had acupuncture and cold laser therapy on his spine and both legs.

Our concern is that his good hock does have a bit of a problem though it's OK at the moment but might well regress if it's put under much pressure.

When we first had Rup he was very timid and hated being handled. However with all his bandaging and daily ministering he has become very laid back and seems to like people company. When I sit on the floor he will come over and drape himself over my legs and go to sleep. Sadly he is not bonded. We have tried with 2 spayed girls but he wants to dominate and we have not been prepared to let him injure himself.

It's a dilemma, and I think Iain will have to give some honest advice on this one. Would he get a second opinion as this is such a difficult situation and I doubt many vets will have a lot of experience of it in giant rabbits ...?

It's a dilemma, and I think Iain will have to give some honest advice on this one. Would he get a second opinion as this is such a difficult situation and I doubt many vets will have a lot of experience of it in giant rabbits ...?

We are taking Rupert to see Iain on Thursday - unfortunately he is not at the surgery til then. Iain is very good at going through issues and options and I'm sure he would ask the opinions off other vets if necessary.

We are taking Rupert to see Iain on Thursday - unfortunately he is not at the surgery til then. Iain is very good at going through issues and options and I'm sure he would ask the opinions off other vets if necessary.

You are both in good hands. I shall be thinking of you and Rupert x

I am so glad that you have an excellent and highly experienced Vet in whom you trust . Despite what may be read online, there are some Vets who will do everything within their power to try to help a Rabbit patient. Mr Cope is certainly one of those Vets. I hope that your consultation with him tomorrow proves to offer some hope for Rupert.

I'm devastated to say that our beloved Rupert has been helped the bridge this afternoon. We had a long discussion with our excellent vet and concluded that the risk of amputation was too great in terms of the impact on his spine and other hind leg and his quality of life. It was a very difficult decision because in himself Rup was eating well, grooming and being his cheeky self but he was largely immobile and had great difficulty in getting up and moving around. He had already rubbed some fur off his good hock and our conclusions was that it was better to help him to the bridge now rather than see him struggle on. 3 legs. We did also discuss whether pinning his leg was an option but the damage to the bone and ligaments and the indication that the infection was still lurking despite aggressive antibiotic treatment made this impractical.

Rupert you were such a handsome, friendly, cheeky bunny who put up with daily bandaging of your foot for months but never let it get you down. We have has rescue rabbits for over 30 years mostly Giants but you will stand out forever. Xxx

I'm devastated to say that our beloved Rupert has been helped the bridge this afternoon. We had a long discussion with our excellent vet and concluded that the risk of amputation was too great in terms of the impact on his spine and other hind leg and his quality of life. It was a very difficult decision because in himself Rup was eating well, grooming and being his cheeky self but he was largely immobile and had great difficulty in getting up and moving around. He had already rubbed some fur off his good hock and our conclusions was that it was better to help him to the bridge now rather than see him struggle on. 3 legs. We did also discuss whether pinning his leg was an option but the damage to the bone and ligaments and the indication that the infection was still lurking despite aggressive antibiotic treatment made this impractical.

Rupert you were such a handsome, friendly, cheeky bunny who put up with daily bandaging of your foot for months but never let it get you down. We have has rescue rabbits for over 30 years mostly Giants but you will stand out forever. Xxx

How heartbreaking for you, I am so sorry :cry: I think you have made a very brave, selfless and compassionate decision

RIP Rupert xx

I am so sorry to read this elizabeth, but I know you made the very best decision for Rupert, despite it being so heart-breaking for you x

Back