• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ask for positive vibes for Dash-U/D 04/22/2018

It's so unsettling when a rabbit can change so fast.

I really hope you get a break from the rollercoaster. We all need a break from stress ...

Sending more vibes x
This is so true. It is mentally, emotionally, and physically demanding when a beloved pet is ill.

I am someone who worries under normal circumstances; so it takes a lot of meditation for me to calm myself when these sudden emergencies happen. I deal with my stress by charting their condition, strength, weakness, hydration, food/water intake, pee/poo output, medications, etc. Even though I will never get points for neatness (or handwriting) these notes have become a great reference if they have a similar episode in the future, plus it reminds me how long it took for that bunny to get back to normal in the past.

We have so much in common T, I do exactly the same thing !! I have a Health Journal for every Rabbit and I record everything in it, including regular weight checks, vaccination dates, full details of any health issue that occurs and exact treatment prescribed by my lovely Vet (who is well aware of my neurosis !!)

I too find it helps to have everything written down. Mind you, I needed a very large shelf to store all the Journals when I used to have over 35 Rabbits........... :shock:

I hope that Dash has been reasonably stable over the last few days xx

We have so much in common T, I do exactly the same thing !! I have a Health Journal for every Rabbit and I record everything in it, including regular weight checks, vaccination dates, full details of any health issue that occurs and exact treatment prescribed by my lovely Vet (who is well aware of my neurosis !!)

I too find it helps to have everything written down. Mind you, I needed a very large shelf to store all the Journals when I used to have over 35 Rabbits........... :shock:

I hope that Dash has been reasonably stable over the last few days xx
I aspire to be that organized. Thanks for the idea of doing a journal for each bunny.
It is good to have individual dosage information readily available when a recurrence happens so I do not make critical mistakes when nerves are frazzled.

I aspire to be that organized. Thanks for the idea of doing a journal for each bunny.
It is good to have individual dosage information readily available when a recurrence happens so I do not make critical mistakes when nerves are frazzled.

I think that is the first time I have ever been referred to as 'organized' !! Chaos on legs is probably more accurate :lol:

After I cleaned Dash's litterbox late Monday night he was active and he could not get enough greens, yet I thought his tummy felt quite full. Prior to cleaning his litterbox had lots of poos but it was hard to tell how long ago they were produced. He was off his Cisapride for 5 days so, after some deliberation, I decided to put him back on the meds. By morning he passed only two poos, one was multiple times the size of his normally large oval poos. He also did not drink much fresh water. I knew I made the right decision to restarted the meds the prior night. Even though he felt fuller than he did the evening before, he was still interested in eating some fresh greens he was given. By the time I got home from the supermarket to buy more dandelion greens, he passed a lot of poos. I now have him back on the Cisapride. It is not sold in the regular pharmacy and has to be obtained by a pharmacy that compounds the drug so I have it made with strawberry flavor which Dash takes right from the dosage syringe most of the time so at least it is not a struggle to get him to take the meds.

It’s so good that you are in tune with Dash and can see when he needs the meds :thumb: sending lots of vibes for him xx

After I cleaned Dash's litterbox late Monday night he was active and he could not get enough greens, yet I thought his tummy felt quite full. Prior to cleaning his litterbox had lots of poos but it was hard to tell how long ago they were produced. He was off his Cisapride for 5 days so, after some deliberation, I decided to put him back on the meds. By morning he passed only two poos, one was multiple times the size of his normally large oval poos. He also did not drink much fresh water. I knew I made the right decision to restarted the meds the prior night. Even though he felt fuller than he did the evening before, he was still interested in eating some fresh greens he was given. By the time I got home from the supermarket to buy more dandelion greens, he passed a lot of poos. I now have him back on the Cisapride. It is not sold in the regular pharmacy and has to be obtained by a pharmacy that compounds the drug so I have it made with strawberry flavor which Dash takes right from the dosage syringe most of the time so at least it is not a struggle to get him to take the meds.

Your instinct was spot-on :D

Cisapride here is often in the shape of nasty tasting tablets. I manage to get it from my vet as a liquid-syrup, but I don't think it's flavoured nicely like yours is. I shall have to try it.

More vibes for Dash x

As usual you are so on the ball about Dash's condition. It can make a lot of difference if treatment can be started before the more extreme symptoms present. My Vet prescribes Cisapride in liquid form, but it does not have a strawberry flavour. It's just very sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste. The Bunnies I have had to administer it to dont seem to mind the flavour though.

I think the problem with the supply of Cisapride came about as the drug was banned for use in humans in both the UK and the USA, along with numerous other countries, due to a high incidence of adverse side effects.

http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js2203e/2.12.html#Js2203e.2.12

But these do not appear to effect Rabbits. Which I guess goes some way to prove how pointless it is to test human drugs on animals. It can give very misleading results.

Your instinct was spot-on :D

Cisapride here is often in the shape of nasty tasting tablets. I manage to get it from my vet as a liquid-syrup, but I don't think it's flavoured nicely like yours is. I shall have to try it.

More vibes for Dash x

Thank you.

Cisapride is not being manufactured commercially so even tablets are not available, except through a compounding pharmacy. There are also newer regulations that make it more difficult for vets to have items compounded in bulk in form (usually beef or chicken flavor for their dog/cat patients)and then redistribute it to their clients. This is how I got to the point of having it compounded with the added bonus of selecting from several flavors.

I was never successful with giving any medications in tablet form for my bunnies. My bunnies are all small breeds, so it is very hard to split a pill in six or eight pieces and get accurate dosages, even if the bunny was not too ill to swallow the tablet piece.

As usual you are so on the ball about Dash's condition. It can make a lot of difference if treatment can be started before the more extreme symptoms present. My Vet prescribes Cisapride in liquid form, but it does not have a strawberry flavour. It's just very sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste. The Bunnies I have had to administer it to dont seem to mind the flavour though.

I think the problem with the supply of Cisapride came about as the drug was banned for use in humans in both the UK and the USA, along with numerous other countries, due to a high incidence of adverse side effects.

http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js2203e/2.12.html#Js2203e.2.12

But these do not appear to effect Rabbits. Which I guess goes some way to prove how pointless it is to test human drugs on animals. It can give very misleading results.

As always your observations are spot on. Thank you for boosting my confidence.

It’s so good that you are in tune with Dash and can see when he needs the meds :thumb: sending lots of vibes for him xx
Thank you Zoobec. Your confidence in me is appreciated, especially when Dash's condition does not have a permanent cure.

Sending lots more vibes for Dash. Well done for spotting his problems again.

I always seem to notice these things late at night, so I sometimes question my ability to assess the situation. Dash and I appreciate the vibes. He is doing well and so am I.

Good to hear you are both well now. Regarding doubting your ability to assess the situation I totally sympathise. We watch Bob like a hawk and every time he lays down after eating we are checking to see how he is, second guessing if he is just having a rest or starting an episode! I wish he could tell us. He has been mostly OK recently but I did have to medicate him twice last weekend - wouldn't eat and looked really uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Good to hear you are both well now. Regarding doubting your ability to assess the situation I totally sympathise. We watch Bob like a hawk and every time he lays down after eating we are checking to see how he is, second guessing if he is just having a rest or starting an episode! I wish he could tell us. He has been mostly OK recently but I did have to medicate him twice last weekend - wouldn't eat and looked really uncomfortable.

Dear Julie,
I hope Bob is doing well now. He is so lucky to have people caring for him who are willing to dedicate so much time and emotional/physical energy to his care.
I know exactly what you mean. Dash is very active. In the afternoon he will be less so and it is very hard to tell if he is relapsing or if he is just enjoying a rest. I will take out some of his favorite greens and see if he comes running. With Heidi the test is her pelleted food which she only gets as a treat. When she does not come running, I know she is uncomfortable and not just resting.

When deciding if I should medicate or not, I always consider the type of medication and when I will be able to recheck the bunny. Dash began to relapse in Monday even though he was still getting medication. It was not until hours later that I realized he was not drinking water so I gave him some sub Q fluids. The fluids do help him to pass his poos more easily. He tolerates the fluids well even though he is a bit uncomfortable for a few minutes during/after they are administered.
Sometimes my bunnies take turns causing me to worry--sometimes within a day or two. They are all such good bunnies.

Thanks for the message- and Bob is fine. I think the problem is moulting/ time of year and I just need to watch him carefully and keep providing him with lots of tastey forage. He is having his myxi/rvhd vaccination tomorrow so I'll get the vet to give him a good exam. All the best to you heidi and dash x

Dear Julie,
I hope Bob is doing well now. He is so lucky to have people caring for him who are willing to dedicate so much time and emotional/physical energy to his care.
I know exactly what you mean. Dash is very active. In the afternoon he will be less so and it is very hard to tell if he is relapsing or if he is just enjoying a rest. I will take out some of his favorite greens and see if he comes running. With Heidi the test is her pelleted food which she only gets as a treat. When she does not come running, I know she is uncomfortable and not just resting.

When deciding if I should medicate or not, I always consider the type of medication and when I will be able to recheck the bunny. Dash began to relapse in Monday even though he was still getting medication. It was not until hours later that I realized he was not drinking water so I gave him some sub Q fluids. The fluids do help him to pass his poos more easily. He tolerates the fluids well even though he is a bit uncomfortable for a few minutes during/after they are administered.
Sometimes my bunnies take turns causing me to worry--sometimes within a day or two. They are all such good bunnies.

I hope things are settling down for you bunny momma and that no-one is giving too much cause for concern at the moment?

Back