• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken Leg

Amy104

Warren Veteran
So my new addittion arrived Sat and things have not gone to plan. Little Oakley is beyond nervous, she is absolutely terrified. Unfortunately something must of spooked her overnight and by Sunday morning this 15 week old little bun had a broken front leg. :'(

The outlook was pretty bleak but I could not forgive myself if I didn't at least get an xray and find out what we were dealing with, which was a huge risk in itself because her nervous nature makes the GA even more risky.

Oakley survived the short GA and the xray showed one clean diaganol break. Because she's so tiny surgery would be long and intricate and vets are really unsure about a lengthy GA so we are trying a slint to see if it can heal on its own.

Things were looking positive as she has eaten and drank unaided overnight but she slipped the splint and got her leg tangled in the brace round her body. :'(

Off to the vets again today, really hoping shes not done more damage.

Feeling a bit rubbish at the moment, she was supposed to be here because I know what I'm doing. :(

So my new addittion arrived Sat and things have not gone to plan. Little Oakley is beyond nervous, she is absolutely terrified. Unfortunately something must of spooked her overnight and by Sunday morning this 15 week old little bun had a broken front leg. :'(

The outlook was pretty bleak but I could not forgive myself if I didn't at least get an xray and find out what we were dealing with, which was a huge risk in itself because her nervous nature makes the GA even more risky.

Oakley survived the short GA and the xray showed one clean diaganol break. Because she's so tiny surgery would be long and intricate and vets are really unsure about a lengthy GA so we are trying a slint to see if it can heal on its own.

Things were looking positive as she has eaten and drank unaided overnight but she slipped the splint and got her leg tangled in the brace round her body. :'(

Off to the vets again today, really hoping shes not done more damage.

Feeling a bit rubbish at the moment, she was supposed to be here because I know what I'm doing. :(

Oh no, poor Bunny and poor you :cry: I know it may sound drastic, but given her very nervous disposition and the likelihood that coping with how long a splint would be needed ( as well as all the additional hands on care) would amputation be something to consider. I have had 'Tripod' Bunnies, both hind and front leg amputees. All have coped perfectly well and were able to live a 'normal' life.

Sending millions of vibes for Oakely xx

Oh I'm so sorry that this has happened :( I can imagine how distressing it is for you. I hope she gets on well at the vets today. Remember that accidents can and will always happen.

Sending her lots of vibes and I know you will do your very best for her.

Thank you everyone. Jane that was something I considered aswell but then I felt awful like I was giving up if pinning was an option. :cry: But my logic would be that the op maybe shorter so less risk of GA.

She seems to be coping with the splint itself but this bunny physically flinches under human touch - this hands on can not be fun for her. Plus if she keeps pulling it off I can't see how it would work.

This bunny isn't just nervous she's absolutely petrified and I'm so worried about her, how do I stop her doing something like this again?

I'll add that this little girl was found wandering the streets. Personally I'm convinced she is at least half wild. Her behaviour is something I'm completely out of my depth with, I've had lots of scared bunnies but this is unreal.

I'll add that this little girl was found wandering the streets. Personally I'm convinced she is at least half wild. Her behaviour is something I'm completely out of my depth with, I've had lots of scared bunnies but this is unreal.

IME the 'hands on care' needed post amputation is a lot less than that required when a fracture is pinned. Confinement is less too. For a semi wild Rabbit I think anything that limits the hands on care and the length of time she needs to be confined to a small space is the best option. The first time I was faced with having to decide to agree to having the (hind) limb of a Bunny amputated filled me with horror. I was certain it would be 'cruel' and that it would take the Bunny months and months to recover. I was wrong on both counts.

Twigs Way (parsnipbun on here) has a lot of experience with Wildies/Hares/ Wildie Xs. She seldom visits RU but she is on FB. There are two ways you could contact her via FB, just PM me for details. I am sure she would offer you good advice. Dealing with Wildies/Wildie Xs is VERY different to dealing with a 'nervous' domestic Rabbit.

Thanks Jane I will pm you if you don't mind. I have had 3 legged bunnies before so I'm not concerned about that side of thing. I guess I just feel a bit like I've failed her as she was fine in rescue but less than 24hrs here and look whats happened.

Thanks Jane I will pm you if you don't mind. I have had 3 legged bunnies before so I'm not concerned about that side of thing. I guess I just feel a bit like I've failed her as she was fine in rescue but less than 24hrs here and look whats happened.

Accidents happen, you have not 'failed' at all. I have just replied to your PM xx

Poor bunny, please don't beat yourself up though. It was an accident and could have happened to any of us.

It does sound like amputation would be the least stressful option given how nervous she is. With pinning you need to be very careful for a considerable time afterwards (I think with Alfie's op it was at least 8 weeks crate rest, possibly more, and he was a very chilled bunny so it wasn't too bad).

Best of luck with whatever you decide, please keep us posted. Xx

I found it impossible to keep a splint and dressing on the broken front leg of a small rabbit. I think we tried 3 times before giving up and amputating as it just wouldn't stay in position and the bones were not in place enough to mend. The amputation was so much easier to deal with, healed well and no-one really noticed he was a tripod bun. It helps if they have a partner bun to deal with cleaning the bits they can no longer reach, though.

Thanks all she is having the op to amputate today.

Shimmer she's a lone bun as was brought in to rescue found wandering the streets - the plan had been to bond her with mine but thats obviously on hold temporarily. She will have company eventually though.

Sending her loads of vibes for her op today. I hope that all goes to plan and that she recovers well.

Sadly it was too much for Oakleys little heart and she made her journey to rainbow bridge whilst under GA. :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear this Amy. :( You had no choice but to try, I'm so sorry it wasn't to be. Sleep tight Oakley. Xx

Back