• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Meat DNA in Burges Food!

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I cant post the link but someone has posted a link from a report vetnurseuk of testing of Burgess Excellent rabbit food and found the following :

The recent decision by Supreme Petfoods to benchmark its competitors’ key food
products has resulted in the discovery of apparent contraventions of current
legislation.
Supreme has always had ‘the wellbeing of small animals’ as its ethos and has
continuously striven to produce the highest quality foods available, for the benefit
of the animal and the trust of the consumer.
A claim of quality is always difficult to substantiate without proof. Many new and
established competitors have been making similar quality claims for their
products, but Supreme felt some of these were open to question. It was for this
reason that Supreme requested Campden BRI to conduct independent testing.
The key highlights of those results are:
• Contamination from meat sources found in competitors’ products.
• Some fibre levels that were substantially below legal tolerance compared
with declared levels.
• Terms like ‘beneficial fibre’ in the statutory statement, which appear to be
unapproved descriptions.

• Levels of sugar, given the recent campaign for rabbit obesity, which could
be of potential concern to veterinarians and owners.
• Use of a probiotic authorised only for use within feeds for fattening, but
found in pet rabbit diets.
• Claim for ‘complete food’ when only 8% fibre is declared on pack.
• Potential risk to human health as competitors’ rabbit food is sold VAT free
for use as an animal feedstuff while containing meat DNA.
The analysis of 24 rabbit food samples manufactured and marketed by Burgess,
Wagg and Beaphar demonstrated a contamination level so prevalent that traces
of DNA from cattle, pig, chicken or turkey were found in 11 of the samples. These
random samples were taken from retailer’s shelves across the country.

Any thoughts on this ??This isn't the full report but I have just yesterday ordered Burgess Excel Dual Care as a Critical care substitute, should I return it ??

I can quite imagine that traces of meat DNA could be found in any products that are made in the same factory as one that produces meat products. Presumably the amounts are tiny though. I'm a bit suspicious of Supreme's motives here.

I think most small animal pet foods are pretty bad. :(

I can quite imagine that traces of meat DNA could be found in any products that are made in the same factory as one that produces meat products. Presumably the amounts are tiny though. I'm a bit suspicious of Supreme's motives here.

I think most small animal pet foods are pretty bad. :(

Agree on all points xx

I cant post the link but someone has posted a link from a report vetnurseuk of testing of Burgess Excellent rabbit food and found the following :

The recent decision by Supreme Petfoods to benchmark its competitors’ key food
products has resulted in the discovery of apparent contraventions of current
legislation.
Supreme has always had ‘the wellbeing of small animals’ as its ethos and has
continuously striven to produce the highest quality foods available, for the benefit
of the animal and the trust of the consumer.
A claim of quality is always difficult to substantiate without proof. Many new and
established competitors have been making similar quality claims for their
products, but Supreme felt some of these were open to question. It was for this
reason that Supreme requested Campden BRI to conduct independent testing.
The key highlights of those results are:
• Contamination from meat sources found in competitors’ products.
• Some fibre levels that were substantially below legal tolerance compared
with declared levels.
• Terms like ‘beneficial fibre’ in the statutory statement, which appear to be
unapproved descriptions.

• Levels of sugar, given the recent campaign for rabbit obesity, which could
be of potential concern to veterinarians and owners.
• Use of a probiotic authorised only for use within feeds for fattening, but
found in pet rabbit diets.
• Claim for ‘complete food’ when only 8% fibre is declared on pack.
• Potential risk to human health as competitors’ rabbit food is sold VAT free
for use as an animal feedstuff while containing meat DNA.
The analysis of 24 rabbit food samples manufactured and marketed by Burgess,
Wagg and Beaphar demonstrated a contamination level so prevalent that traces
of DNA from cattle, pig, chicken or turkey were found in 11 of the samples. These
random samples were taken from retailer’s shelves across the country.

Any thoughts on this ??This isn't the full report but I have just yesterday ordered Burgess Excel Dual Care as a Critical care substitute, should I return it ??

I have found dog biscuits more than once in Burgess food :(

I heard this a while ago and stopped buying Burgess Excel. I put my buns on Harringtons which unfortunately turns out to be Waggs. I find the Harringtons is better on my buns tums but am now suspicious of it too. The factories turn out dog biscuits, don't they? So that's a problem, using the same machines. Where do we go from here then?

So it wouldn't worry u using Excel then ?? I don't, I use Oxbow but it's just the Dual Care I have ordered. U think it will be ok to use ??

I heard this a while ago and stopped buying Burgess Excel. I put my buns on Harringtons which unfortunately turns out to be Waggs. I find the Harringtons is better on my buns tums but am now suspicious of it too. The factories turn out dog biscuits, don't they? So that's a problem, using the same machines. Where do we go from here then?

Pellet Free Diet. Not suitable for all Rabbits, but certainly what I prefer if at all possible x

Pellet Free Diet. Not suitable for all Rabbits, but certainly what I prefer if at all possible x
100% agree. I do use pellets (Burgess, in fact) but I'm not surprised by the above (I, too, am suspicious of Supreme's motives and would like to see some independent information on THEIR and everyone else's products...!). I use pellets for convenience. It's no different from processed human foods: convenience!

I haven't read all the thread cause im pushed for time but I had information at work regarding this saying that burgess is produced in a factory that also produces cat and dog food whereas science selective is produced in a vegetarian factory

So it wouldn't worry u using Excel then ?? I don't, I use Oxbow but it's just the Dual Care I have ordered. U think it will be ok to use ??

I don't use the Burgess Excel for various reasons, but I haven't tried the dual care. If I need a syringe food I mix mashed Oxbow with baby food ...

You didn't have to buy the Dualcare for Oliver, did you Nicky?

Hi Max, no thankfully not for Oliver but thanks for thinking of him x it was just to have. We did discorer a little bald patch under his ear a couple of weeks ago so it's the very early stage of ear infection :( vet thinks we have caught it really early so just imflamed. 3 weeks of ear drops. I hope it cures it but he is in great form and only 2 weeks til his girlfriend arrives :)

Hi Max, no thankfully not for Oliver but thanks for thinking of him x it was just to have. We did discorer a little bald patch under his ear a couple of weeks ago so it's the very early stage of ear infection :( vet thinks we have caught it really early so just imflamed. 3 weeks of ear drops. I hope it cures it but he is in great form and only 2 weeks til his girlfriend arrives :)

I hope the ear drops work their magic. He *has* to get better before the girlfriend arrives :D

Gosh - 2 weeks! Do you have to make any special arrangements for her? Temporary cage etc .....?

I don't have a wee hamster at the moment,(will get one later in Spring)but used " Harry Hamster" food,this seemed pretty good to me,any "meat" contamination I suppose would be minimal.Hamsters are omnivores anyway.

Yes he does doesn't he ! No his current owner is very strict about cleaning / vaccinations / panacuring etc and is involve in giving talks on rabbit welfare etc I have seen loads of pics and updates of our new bun and am 100% comfortable with going straight to bonding after letting her settle overnight. Am nervous but hope it works out. My husband is very excited about getting her too!

Last edited:
Back