• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Lucky is depressed

Good news, although I don't want to get my hopes up just yet... The PDSA said they will be able to neuter Lucky but they want to give him a full examination first. They are a lot cheaper too.

Do they have rabbit-savvy vets? Most vets are used to dealing with cats and dogs but are not experienced with rabbits - which really is a major consideration.

Do they have rabbit-savvy vets? Most vets are used to dealing with cats and dogs but are not experienced with rabbits - which really is a major consideration.

There aren't many vets that will do rabbits. At this point I'm confident the PDSA vets are rabbit savvy.

I'm sticking with the PDSA as they are a non profit organization charity. Most vets are mostly used to dogs and cats. A vet would rather neuter a dog than a rabbit...

The PDSA is, of course, an excellent charity. Unfortunately it does not necessarily follow that their vets have a special interest in rabbits or knowledge of them.

There is not a lot Inspector Morse does not know about rabbits and their care so I must admit your response to her post made me smile - rather like the grandmother and sucking eggs adage.

I'm sticking with the PDSA as they are a non profit organization charity. Most vets are mostly used to dogs and cats. A vet would rather neuter a dog than a rabbit...

No offence, but I think you need to update your information about the provision of Rabbit Health Care from Small Animal Veterinary Services.

The PDSA are indeed a good organisation and offer subsidised treatment for pet Owners on certain state Benefits.But to imply that there are no good Rabbit Vets in the London area is so, so wrong

I think The Beaumont Sainsbury Clinic attests to that fact

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/news-and-even...tal-team-scoops-two-top-honours-at-vet-awards

Then there are all the Rabbit Vets listed on the RWAF website

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

No offence, but I think you need to update your information about the provision of Rabbit Health Care from Small Animal Veterinary Services.

The PDSA are indeed a good organisation and offer subsidised treatment for pet Owners on certain state Benefits.But to imply that there are no good Rabbit Vets in the London area is so, so wrong

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/news-and-even...tal-team-scoops-two-top-honours-at-vet-awards

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
Yea I have to agree [emoji51]

I might be wrong but I thought the subsidised vet care was the reason you'd go to them if you were eligible?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I agree.

"I might be wrong but I thought the subsidised vet care was the reason you'd go to them if you were eligible?"

Yes, I'm a bit puzzled.

"I might be wrong but I thought the subsidised vet care was the reason you'd go to them if you were eligible?"

Yes, I'm a bit puzzled.
Yea from what I've seen they're an option if you qualify, but it's not like a choice you'd make, just would be if you can't afford regular vet bills, which is fair enough! But not what I'd choose for exotic care if I had the funds to go with really good care.. But if I didn't then yea! No shame if you can't afford vet bills tho, they're expensive! But so is owning animals tbh [emoji38]

Personally I would always choose a rabbit savvy vet, especially for operations. Even if it meant paying vs having it done for free. An experienced vet on the species is paramount imo

Personally I would always choose a rabbit savvy vet, especially for operations. Even if it meant paying vs having it done for free. An experienced vet on the species is paramount imo
Yea I agree, I could've got Apricot and Penelope spayed for free, but I took them to William, coz I wanted him to do the ops!

I know when I had to rely on subsidised Vet Care ( RSPCA Putney) it was made clear that whilst they would see the 3 Rabbits I had at the time I was not to obtain any more or any other species of Pet. If I did then I would have to go to a non charitable Vet Care provider for them. I think this to be perfectly reasonable. I know they also imposed a rule that all Pets must be neutered in order to qualify for subsidised treatment. Again fair enough. They used to get Breeders taking the :censored: and thinking they could churn out Puppies / Kittens/ Kits to sell and get them treated for next to nothing if they needed it.

Neutering a female rabbit is a complex and delicate operation and it's essential to find a vet who's done it many times before. I was still terrified when I took Dusty last October.

If you can afford to pay for vet care then using the PDSA isn't really appropriate. I thought they were only for certain benefits.

I hope you don’t feel that we are ganging up on you … but the truth is everyone wants the best for your rabbits and all rabbits. There are some very knowledgeable members, some of whom have learned the very hard lesson that entrusting rabbits into the care of vets who do not have a special interest and in-depth knowledge of rabbits and their care can lead to heartache for the owners and unnecessary death of their rabbits.

I hope you don’t feel that we are ganging up on you … but the truth is everyone wants the best for your rabbits and all rabbits. There are some very knowledgeable members, some of whom have learned the very hard lesson that entrusting rabbits into the care of vets who do not have a special interest and in-depth knowledge of rabbits and their care can lead to heartache for the owners and unnecessary death of their rabbits.

Nope not at all. I'm very open to what people are saying and I'm just weighing up my options on whats best. I did not realize there was a list of rabbit savvy vets. That helps a lot. I have no reason to believe that the PDSA are not rabbit savvy considering they have vets who have nurtured many rabbits. I understand they are more for people on benefits. I can afford my vet bills no problem however I would still rather pay a charity to do the job than a private rabbit savvy vet who I know nothing about.

Nope not at all. I'm very open to what people are saying and I'm just weighing up my options on whats best. I did not realize there was a list of rabbit savvy vets. That helps a lot. I have no reason to believe that the PDSA are not rabbit savvy considering they have vets who have nurtured many rabbits. I understand they are more for people on benefits. I can afford my vet bills no problem however I would still rather pay a charity to do the job than a private rabbit savvy vet who I know nothing about.

Apart from anything else, I thought you had to be in receipt of certain benefits to be eligible for PDSA veterinary care. Are you saying, then, that isn’t the case?

Back