• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female rabbit has gone crazy!!!!

jennycreed

Young Bun
Hi guys,

I have a male lionhead (Simba born jan 2015) and a female lion head (big, born 20th august 2015)

I got simba from a pet store and he is the most loving, unharmful rabbit ive ever met. When i paired him with big, they fell in love straight away and were cuddling from minute one and wouldnt leave each others side.

Anyway, simba is neutered, big isnt. Past few days shes just been absolutely crazy and ive had to put them in seperate cages.

Big keeps humpin simba, she wont stop and simba is getting stressed out, he didnt eat at first and i stayed up all night feeding him his favourite treats to make sure he would eat something. He has only pooped 5times since 11pm last night.

When i put them back together, Big circles simba in a really intimidating way and simba just submits instead of sticking up for himself. Ive kept their cages close together so they can still see/smell eachother while they are seperated.

What do I do, why has she gone crazy... she keeps taking clumps of fur out of his back and head and she eats it...

Hi guys,

I have a male lionhead (Simba born jan 2015) and a female lion head (big, born 20th august 2015)

I got simba from a pet store and he is the most loving, unharmful rabbit ive ever met. When i paired him with big, they fell in love straight away and were cuddling from minute one and wouldnt leave each others side.

Anyway, simba is neutered, big isnt. Past few days shes just been absolutely crazy and ive had to put them in seperate cages.

Big keeps humpin simba, she wont stop and simba is getting stressed out, he didnt eat at first and i stayed up all night feeding him his favourite treats to make sure he would eat something. He has only pooped 5times since 11pm last night.

When i put them back together, Big circles simba in a really intimidating way and simba just submits instead of sticking up for himself. Ive kept their cages close together so they can still see/smell eachother while they are seperated.

What do I do, why has she gone crazy... she keeps taking clumps of fur out of his back and head and she eats it...

She is probably feeling hormonal and may be on the verge of having a phantom pregnancy. Spaying her would be the best option. Not only from the behavioural point of view but also to protect her from uterine infections and cancer when she gets older

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

Yes, as J-J says, she is ready to be neutered.
Didn't you have another female rabbit you had problems with not so long ago?

Hi guys,

I reckon it's because your female rabbit is feeling hormonal, which happens to mature females when they haven't been spayed. It may be just about time to think about getting her spayed, and this should calm down all this behaviour as well as protecting her against uterine cancer.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

Yes, unfortunately we had to rehome Sue as she wasn't pet material for us, she didn't enjoy our company or Simbas. She is in a new home now and she is living with a family and gets on really well with the children of the home. I know she prefers it there and I am updated with new pics weekly from her new family :)

Yes, unfortunately we had to rehome Sue as she wasn't pet material for us, she didn't enjoy our company or Simbas. She is in a new home now and she is living with a family and gets on really well with the children of the home. I know she prefers it there and I am updated with new pics weekly from her new family :)

I'm glad she found her own special home.

I don't think you are going to make any progress at all until you've had your female neutered.

Back