• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescuing a rabbit to bond with Oggy

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
Hello,

I have now found a potential wife for Oggy. She is at a rescue and they think she's about 7 months old. She had her op last week and she is healing well. (I'm off to meet her on Saturday).

If all goes well then the following week they are suggesting potentially the first date- does this give her enough time to fully heal after her op?

If all goes well on the first date then they are saying that I will take her home and continue the bonding process at home.

I'm very nervous, but hoping that seeing Oggy happy (hopefully) will be more rewarding.

I have never done the bonding process before so was just wondering whether when I bring them home I put food in with them straight away to distract them or whether I add that later once there are some positive signs?

I'm sure if i asked the rescue they may be able to answer my questions but I value all of your opinions!

Thank you :)

Hi, how exciting :)

I hope everything goes really well. We did this recently, they spent about an hour together at the rescue and then we brought them home. As it was a long journey they had that time to get used to each other too. It was love at first sight and they got on great right away. I did put food in straight away and had no issues, but I don't know if that's the done thing or not. Sadly we lost him to illness in just a few short weeks.

I'm not sure about the op. Ideally I'd probably want to give them longer to recover, although perhaps not practical. But im sure others will be along who can advise x

I think two weeks gives her time to recover from her op, though her hormones will still be present for a while. I hope it all goes well, we've also just adopted and it's one of the best things I've ever done. Add hay when bonding, I wouldn't add a bowl until you know things are going well between the two as sometimes a bowl of food can be something they both want to claim as theirs. Scatter feeding is always a nice option and keeps them distracted? Wish you all the best when you meet the lass and fingers crossed that oggy adores her. :D

Good luck for tomorrow :)

I'd be very interested in hearing about the bonding process and how they go about it.

Thank you! Didn't see this!

Went to meet her and she isn't what I would normally pick, (how mean of me to say that!?!) but she has a heart of gold! I just hope Oggy loves her and she can then become a part of our family!

I would upload a photo, but not sure how to do this?

I would normally pick a lop eared rabbit!
Or a fluffier type rabbit.

Something that is a bit different.

The one I'm rescuing is kind of a wild rabbit x lionhead.

(I shouldn't really say she isn't what I'd normally pick- I feel bad now!! 🙈)

I would normally pick a lop eared rabbit!
Or a fluffier type rabbit.

Something that is a bit different.

The one I'm rescuing is kind of a wild rabbit x lionhead.

(I shouldn't really say she isn't what I'd normally pick- I feel bad now!! 🙈)

No don't feel bad - I think we've all felt the way you do at some point :D

Really looking forward to seeing her :D

When I first decided that I wanted rabbits I also wanted fluffy lops. Maybe with some funky markings too!
Instead I got 2 boys and one is grey with a white belly and the other is black all over. They also have sticky up ears! I love them so much that it hurts sometimes!
It's ok to have a usual type because that's not what you fall in love with in the end :)
She sounds wonderful and I hope the bonding goes well!
X

Never done this before so hopefully this will work:

Here she is:

And the one i like of her:

Oggy felt left out, So here he is aswell:

Last edited:
Oh she is beautiful :love:
I also think that the wildie/tufty look is very unique! I haven't seen a rabbit like her before :)
Your lop is gorgeous too. Xx

Thank you :)
I'm hoping it works out on Friday.
I'm looking forward to bringing her home.
I think not having what I would normally go for reminds me I'm doing a good thing by rescuing one rather than buying what I want. So hopefully it will work out.

She's lovely, they both are :) I do understand what you meant, so don't feel bad, I think it's natural to feel that way. I do love seeing quirky couples though who are very different x

She's lovely, they both are :) I do understand what you meant, so don't feel bad, I think it's natural to feel that way. I do love seeing quirky couples though who are very different x

Well this is definitely going to be one of those if they get along!!

This is my update that I just posted on my other thread! (Sorry I'm taking over these threads!)

UPDATE:

So I slept in the bath tub for an hour and decided that because not a lot was going on apart from Oggy making a buzzing noise at her and trying to hump her. But as there was no signs of aggression at all, I decided to go to bed and check on then every hour.

Every hour was ambitious. But I did check on them through the night and everything seemed fine.

I'm now in with them again and all is much the same. He is chasing her making a buzzing noise and trying to hump her.

I have sprinkled food and treats around. And she's eating well. But he is only interested in humping her.

I'm not sure what to do next. So if anyone has any ideas to help me out. Please let me know

Back