• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunnies house smell

Hi,
I have recently moved our outdoor bunnies inside after vet advice (poorly bunny with respiratory problems). We have set up a rabbit safe area but I am struggling with the odour! Does anyone have any advice to help keep the smell less whiffy? I am cleaning twice a day and changing litter in the trays regularly. Or is this something I am going to have to get used to!?
Many thanks

Hi,
I have recently moved our outdoor bunnies inside after vet advice (poorly bunny with respiratory problems). We have set up a rabbit safe area but I am struggling with the odour! Does anyone have any advice to help keep the smell less whiffy? I am cleaning twice a day and changing litter in the trays regularly. Or is this something I am going to have to get used to!?
Many thanks

Oh I'm not sure, I have inside buns and they don't smell at all... What exactly is the smell? Are you using a good litter in their litter trays? That absorbs pee etc?

Are they odourless straight after you've cleaned them out? If so, might need to look at what they're living on.. If they themselves smell, maybe speak to your vet.. None of my 4 smell at all - except one has gut problems and sometimes is unwell, that smells ofc but once it's cleaned up, there's no smell..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Our two buns live in doors. You can smell the hay, but certainly no offensive smell.
I change the litter tray twice a day and the bunny room is given a good clean once a week.

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Dillon smells when he is poorly. He is an indoor rabbit. Last Tuesday they had their boosters and MOT and since then he has smelt really rabbity and not wee'd in the tray. Other than that they dont smell.

I have three indoors rabbits, and I can usually smell fresh hay and maybe something unpleasant if one of them has a poorly tummy.

I change their trays twice a day (I use puppy pads), clean their room properly once a week (daily spot-cleaning) and wash bedding regularly. A waste bin with a lid is a necessity - bunny pee smells quite strongly, so that might be what you can smell? Airing out the room regularly helps too.

Are they on carpet? They might pee on that if it feels nice and soft, so that’ll start smelling.

Thank you all for the really helpful replies. I have changed the litter and washed their bedding - the smell is much better. The poor chap has an upset tummy (I think as a result of the strong antibiotics) so hopefully once that is all cleared up we should all be fine.

Thanks again

Back