• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caramel and Mr Muffles - Neutral Territory Bonding - Videos

Natalie

Warren Scout
For anyone following the saga of the slow bonding effort we are undergoing between Caramel and Mr Muffles, here are the videos we took when we attempted a neutral territory meet and greet. We took lots of short bursts of video over the period of time they were together, although when they were mostly still and nothing much was happening we would stop videoing. I've added a link to the first video, and hopefully, if I've done it right, there should be thumbnails to the right for access to the rest of the videos. I've actually added 26 videos lol, feel free to watch as many :shock: or as few as you like :lol: I think the last videos, about 19 - 26 are quite telling regarding the progress.

I think the meeting went well. My understanding of it was that Caramel was very much the boss and poor ol' Mr Muffles did everything he could not to get in her way. That said, I'm very glad to say that Caramel at least didn't attack him, and at one point Mr Muffles did have a little munch (we scattered fresh food and pellets all over the floor) which we thought was a very good sign. I don't mind admitting that I personally was a bundle of nerves throughout the whole process :lol: BUT, we were prepared, hubby was sitting by wearing thick gloves in case they needed separating urgently, and my daughter was armed with a water spray :lol: (my motto : hope for the best prepare for the worst lol). I'm glad to say, neither urgent separating of bunnies nor a quick squirt with the water spray were needed! :p

Also I'm glad to say that we didn't feel that the unknown territory phased Caramel too much, she was very investigative and didn't come across as anxious or upset, although we did get one foot thump, but nothing was happening with her that made us feel that the situation was a problem for her heart condition.

In addition, we do now think that Mr Muffles might be rather hard of hearing, although I have no idea if that would have any effect on the bonding process.

Any comments on how you feel that this meeting went, how you read the signs with regards to how the bonding is going, would be extremely appreciated.

Once again we are having to put the bonding on hold temporarily as Mr Muffles is going in to the vets for his dental tomorrow but hopefully after he's recovered from that we can continue. Meanwhile they are still living seemingly amicably in adjacent rooms, separated by a wire mesh gate so that they can see each other and get used to each other.

Anyhoo, here's the link, let me know if there are any problems viewing the video/s

Thanks - Natalie :)

[video]http://www.nataliekinnearphotography.co.uk/p183971501/ea738769b[/video]

Last edited:
I've just watched the videos. Overall I think it's going well. There's certainly no aggression. I agree with your assessment that Caramel seems to be the dominant one and I think she looks quite relaxed. Mr Muffles looks a bit scared.

I personally would remove the tunnel and so force them to interact a bit more, but others might disagree. They need to get to a stage where they can trust each other and I think they need to communicate with each other a bit more before this can happen. How long were they together this time?

I hope Mr Muffles' dental goes well tomorrow.

For anyone following the saga of the slow bonding effort we are undergoing between Caramel and Mr Muffles, here are the videos we took when we attempted a neutral territory meet and greet. We took lots of short bursts of video over the period of time they were together, although when they were mostly still and nothing much was happening we would stop videoing. I've added a link to the first video, and hopefully, if I've done it right, there should be thumbnails to the right for access to the rest of the videos. I've actually added 26 videos lol, feel free to watch as many :shock: or as few as you like :lol: I think the last videos, about 19 - 26 are quite telling regarding the progress.

I think the meeting went well. My understanding of it was that Caramel was very much the boss and poor ol' Mr Muffles did everything he could not to get in her way. That said, I'm very glad to say that Caramel at least didn't attack him, and at one point Mr Muffles did have a little munch (we scattered fresh food and pellets all over the floor) which we thought was a very good sign. I don't mind admitting that I personally was a bundle of nerves throughout the whole process :lol: BUT, we were prepared, hubby was sitting by wearing thick gloves in case they needed separating urgently, and my daughter was armed with a water spray :lol: (my motto : hope for the best prepare for the worst lol). I'm glad to say, neither urgent separating of bunnies nor a quick squirt with the water spray were needed! :p

Also I'm glad to say that we didn't feel that the unknown territory phased Caramel too much, she was very investigative and didn't come across as anxious or upset, although we did get one foot thump, but nothing was happening with her that made us feel that the situation was a problem for her heart condition.

In addition, we do now think that Mr Muffles might be rather hard of hearing, although I have no idea if that would have any effect on the bonding process.

Any comments on how you feel that this meeting went, how you read the signs with regards to how the bonding is going, would be extremely appreciated.

Once again we are having to put the bonding on hold temporarily as Mr Muffles is going in to the vets for his dental tomorrow but hopefully after he's recovered from that we can continue. Meanwhile they are still living seemingly amicably in adjacent rooms, separated by a wire mesh gate so that they can see each other and get used to each other.

Anyhoo, here's the link, let me know if there are any problems viewing the video/s

Thanks - Natalie :)

[video]http://www.nataliekinnearphotography.co.uk/p183971501/ea738769b[/video]

Hi Natalie

I have watched all of your videos :wave:

You seem to be doing very well, although poor Mr Muffles looks a bit beaten, doesn't he?

I want to send you loads of good luck for his dental tomorrow and hope the two buns go back to getting on really well together.

Hoping Mr Muffles' dental goes very well today. I have watched the videos. You really need to give them more space next time so they can interact more naturally. I found it rather amusing seeing one holding a water pistol at the ready and your OH wearing the thickest gloves I've ever seen. Must have been a little scary for the buns I should think. I am sure neither of these rabbits would inflict any wounds on you should you have to intervene quickly. Have a piece of wire or wood ready to divide them if you have to.

I've been too upset to come on the forum for a while because I am very sad to say that our precious Caramel passed away a few weeks back :(

It was nothing to do with the bonding, which we think was going okay, we think it was just a combination of old age and her heart condition. We were never able to establish exactly how old she was when we adopted her, but by the time we lost her she was somewhere between 9 and 11 years. I knew when we took her on that our time together might be limited, and especially when we found out about her problematic heart, but even so, when it happened I really was just so upset :(

We might not have finished bonding her with Mr Muffles, but I certainly bonded with her. I'm sure most on this forum know the feeling.

But I am really grateful for the seven months we did have together. I loved having her indoors and over the months spent absolutely hours lying on the floor with her, stroking her head and pampering her. I really did love being with her, I hope she felt the same, I think she did because she tooth purred a lot and licked me a lot - or maybe she just thought I was really really dirty and needed a good wash! She was just lovely. I do so miss her :(

We still have our sweet boy, Mr Muffles and it's a real privilege to get the chance to spoil him loads after the awful neglect he suffered before the RSPCA found out about him and were able to get him out of that situation. Bless him, he's got several health issues of his own, including dental problems, eye problems and he's just had an episode of stasis, but we got treatment for him very quickly and the vet gave him two lots of motility drugs and pain killers AND subcutaneous fluids, so Mr Muffles pulled out of it very quickly. I didn't even have to use any of the Recovery we were given. We are hoping to be able to bond Mr Muffles with another bunny soon.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I'm glad Mr. Muffles is doing ok, and that you're looking to open your heart to another bunny for you and him soon.

Oh Natalie I'm so sad to read this about Caramel :cry: I'm sure she very much appreciated the love and care you both gave her during the time she was with you. And I'm sure you are giving the same love and care to Mr Muffles and I'm pleased to read that you intend to bond him with another rabbit.

Sending you lots of hugs and please let us know how Mr Muffles is getting on.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost Caramel, it was always so clear from your posts how much you adored her. x

However I'm glad you're still able to provide Mr Muffles (love his name!) with a new chance at life - I find you adopting buns with pre-existing medical conditions very admirable.

I've been too upset to come on the forum for a while because I am very sad to say that our precious Caramel passed away a few weeks back :(

It was nothing to do with the bonding, which we think was going okay, we think it was just a combination of old age and her heart condition. We were never able to establish exactly how old she was when we adopted her, but by the time we lost her she was somewhere between 9 and 11 years. I knew when we took her on that our time together might be limited, and especially when we found out about her problematic heart, but even so, when it happened I really was just so upset :(

We might not have finished bonding her with Mr Muffles, but I certainly bonded with her. I'm sure most on this forum know the feeling.

But I am really grateful for the seven months we did have together. I loved having her indoors and over the months spent absolutely hours lying on the floor with her, stroking her head and pampering her. I really did love being with her, I hope she felt the same, I think she did because she tooth purred a lot and licked me a lot - or maybe she just thought I was really really dirty and needed a good wash! She was just lovely. I do so miss her :(

We still have our sweet boy, Mr Muffles and it's a real privilege to get the chance to spoil him loads after the awful neglect he suffered before the RSPCA found out about him and were able to get him out of that situation. Bless him, he's got several health issues of his own, including dental problems, eye problems and he's just had an episode of stasis, but we got treatment for him very quickly and the vet gave him two lots of motility drugs and pain killers AND subcutaneous fluids, so Mr Muffles pulled out of it very quickly. I didn't even have to use any of the Recovery we were given. We are hoping to be able to bond Mr Muffles with another bunny soon.

Natalie I am so very sorry to read this :(

What a wonderful life you gave your Caramel. How overjoyed she must have been to spend her twilight months in such bliss and to know such love. :love:

Mr Muffles is a lucky lad. And soon to become luckier with a pal.

My love and hugs to you xx

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost Caramel, she may only have been with you a short time, but she was showered with love, and sounded a very happy bun. Nose rubs for Mr Muffles and hugs for you xxxx

I am so sorry to hear of this. Caramel clearly lived a life full of love from you and mr muffles and she was given the life she deserved to have with you. Binky free Caramel x

I am really very sorry to hear this. :cry: It's so heart breaking when we lose an animal we love very much. I hope you give us up-dates on Mr Muffles. xx

:( sorry to hear about Caramel, sounds like you two had a really special bond. I bet Mr Muffles is being spoilt rotten

I'm so sorry for your loss. Caramel was one of my favourites on RU. I'm so glad you found her & she experienced true love & fulfillment for the last months of her life. She loved you back for sure. She has left you with the gift of sharing your life with rabbits :love: Nose bumps for Mr Muffles - he's a lucky bun now too xx

Oh no :cry: I’m so sorry that you lost Caramel :cry: I’m sure she loved every minute of her time with you :love:

So sorry to hear this news about Caramel Natalie. She was a lucky rabbit to spend her last happy months with you. It was so obvious from your posts how much you cared for her.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back