• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini left us heartbroken

Anxiously awaiting an update about little Gemini. I really hope he is still with us. Thinking of you all and sending many hugs xx

Anxiously awaiting an update about little Gemini. I really hope he is still with us. Thinking of you all and sending many hugs xx

Hello Jane, I apologize for leaving you hanging. I really appreciate your responding to my PM so quickly. You are awesome.
Gemini is still with me. He made a small wee on way to vet so vet had to express his bladder to get the smallest amount of urine to test. Urine testing was good. Gemini still had a full feeling in the rear of his torso at the vet. Vet said he was appropriately hydrated and what I was feeling was not many fluids. Vet's biggest concern was the stasis. He also checked a small poo sample and did not see anything that warranted concern. I was to push the critical care, continue motility meds, and keep the antibiotics. During the exam, vet also found Gemini has a secondary issue of yeast in his right outer ear (drops prescribed).
Gemini was not eating on his own, yet at each sitting he took the first 10ml of critical care well and also swallowed another 10-15. His early afternoon and evening feedings went well.
When I went to do his late night feeding, I felt wetness on his tummy. His fur came out easily as I was drying his tummy. He appears to be oozing fluids because it looks shiny right after I dry it (like sweat). I also felt a lot of material in his torso, up to his underarms (beyond his normal body fat).
He got a lot of critical care compared to the amount of output. At this point I will not give more before further evaluation or more productive output.

A1t emergency vet. He had some better output poor am. This then followed by muscle weakness feels limp. Could not syringe feed am resisting.
He took oral fluids. Not sure if they have much rabbit experience. Only other 24 hour clinic not even take rabbits. Alternative is almost 3 hour drive to vet school hospital.

Last edited:
Oh goodness, sorry to see this last update. I hope Gemini can pull through. (((((((((((((((Healing vibes))))))))))))))))
Lots of hugs for you. What a terrible time you're having. :( (((((((((Huge hugs))))))))) xxxxx

Emergency vet ran blood and x ray.
After spending 3 hours and $700. told infection and lots of fiber in gut. They gave pain shot-bupimex and added baytril at what Is a low dose to current abx , motility meds ,medicam ,fluids and syringe feeds.
he to lethargic to take syringe feed now.

Last edited:
Emergency vet ran blood and x ray.
After spending 3 hours and $700. told infection and lots of fiber in gut. They gave pain shot-bupimex and added baytril at what Is a low dose to current abx , motility meds ,medicam ,fluids and syringe feeds.
he to lethargic to take syringe feed now.

((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xx

Keeping the vibes going for wee Gemini (((((((((((((((((Healing vibes))))))))))))))))) xxxxxxx

Thinking of you and sending lots of vibes to Gemini and lots of hugs to you.

ETA I am so very sorry :cry: I have just seen your updated title to this thread :cry:

Last edited:
Back