• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Minimum Housing Requirements

Hessen

Banned
My brother is getting a rabbit for his two daughters. Without trying to sound like some kind of crazy animal welfare activist, I said that I would send over some literature for him to read beforehand and said that it's something i care strongly about and would appreciate very much if he didn't disregard the info.

So having a look through the RSPCA site and noticed that they had an updated PDF file on Rabbit Housing Advice.

It makes for interesting reading, and sounds positive regarding changes they are hoping to make and enforce in the future. A couple of pertinent quotes below:

The RSPCA does not have minimum dimensions for rabbit housing that are available to the public at this time.

Just over a third of the calls to the RSPCA about incidents of cruelty or neglect to domestic rabbits relate to concerns about inappropriate accommodation.

Wasn't sure if anyone had read or was interested in reading it. :wave:

That's a bit stupid.

They don't want rabbits to be neglected and know the majority of neglection is due to the housing however are not telling people the correct housing (which would stop the majority of neglection).

I hadnt read it before now but I was aware that they didnt have a minimum size, which I find a bit odd, but it does say that there is a recommendation for the rabbit to be able to take a sequence of hops, and that 3 is the minimum number of hops. I know the RWAF suggest that people generally underestimate how long 3 hops would be, and put this at 6-7ft as a minimum. I've always found it a bit strange that the RSPCA won't say what the minimum should be.

I am pleased that they have put quite a bit of emphasis on height of accommodation and that rabbits are happier in larger enclosures and need to be stimulated and given toys to help them exhibit natural behaviours. :)

I thought they did & that the hutch should be 6ft in length (cant remember the rest) When i adopted my last bun from the NAWT the person there said their hutches were the size recommended by the RSPCA.

I recommend sending your brother the link to the RWAF.

Looking through the RWAF leaflets on housing and the "hutch is not enough" info, it doesn't look any different to the RSPCA info, and still doesn't specify any minimum requirements. (actually just found one page where it does, interesting that those recommendations aren't on the PDF leaflets though)

Personally I think the RSPCA has more weight behind it to a rabbit "newbie" purely because of the brand.

Rwa and bluecross both agree on the 6X2 foot each rspca branch set there own standards. I think the one in hull is 6X3X3.5 high

The Hutch is Not Enough campaign page specifies sizes.

You are correct.

I blame my conjunctivitis for not spotting it!

I've forwarded the leaflet on to him as well as the RSPCA link that I've already sent.

It'll be interesting to see what comes from the RSPCA study, and whether anything can be enforced or changed off the back of it.

I came across it the other day and I think it's good that at least they are doing proper studies into it before deciding on sizes etc. :thumb:

The link is already in the stickied Old Useful Topics thread in the Housing section of the forum too, so if anybody wants to find it again at a later date it will be easy to do so. ;);)

I came across it the other day and I think it's good that at least they are doing proper studies into it before deciding on sizes etc. :thumb:

The link is already in the stickied Old Useful Topics thread in the Housing section of the forum too, so if anybody wants to find it again at a later date it will be easy to do so. ;);)

That's good to know :wave:

The RSPCA Branches and suchlike will have their own requirements and recommendations with regards to housing which may give you some info to guide him.

I have Rabbit Information Packs I give out to potential adopters and rabbit owners, if you would like me to send you one to pass on then i'm happy to do so. If not, that's ok too, you can find the majority of info on my website.

You are correct.

I blame my conjunctivitis for not spotting it!

I've forwarded the leaflet on to him as well as the RSPCA link that I've already sent.

It'll be interesting to see what comes from the RSPCA study, and whether anything can be enforced or changed off the back of it.

Well done Hessen :) You could of course also encourage your brother in direction of Honeybunnies (or another reputable rescue) ;) and we can help to ensure that he does things the "right" way ;)

do you know what i dont understand? Why when theres evidence small hutches cause physical and behavioural problem why the selling of tiny hutches cant be stopped under the law that says all goods must be 'fit for purpose' when sold. Im sure if some one with the right evidence took a manufacturer to court they would win. Then at least that would start to help solve the problem, and no need for a new law. Ps the brc only recommend 3 and 4 foot hutches :-( i guess they are also *supposed* to know what they are talking about, so it must make it harder for the government to make a decision. Maybe we should be lobbying the brc to have bigger standards and require proof of then being met for registration.

Well done Hessen :) You could of course also encourage your brother in direction of Honeybunnies (or another reputable rescue) ;) and we can help to ensure that he does things the "right" way ;)

I will indeed.

I'm not confident he'll listen, he's got the whole "oh the wife looked afters rabbits when she was a kid, she knows what to do" attitude. When rabbit care has somewhat moved on from the 80s.

I will indeed.

I'm not confident he'll listen, he's got the whole "oh the wife looked afters rabbits when she was a kid, she knows what to do" attitude. When rabbit care has somewhat moved on from the 80s.

:roll: I feel your pain. Jill gets that all the time from people who contact her re. having buns. I call it the "not invented here" syndrome. i.e. I've not thought of it so it aint happening.....!

Lets hope he surprises you ;):D

I've never seen in on the main site but I've seen the 6x2 requirement mentioned on some of the RSPCA branch sites :wave:

Back